Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 1:07:04 PM EDT
Hi All, I have a Bushmaster 20” V-Mach and want to set it up to shoot prairie dogs. Any suggestions on what power or brand of scope to buy.  Do I need a 6.5-20X50 for a .223?

Rob
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I was prairie dog'n in South Dakota about a month ago. Took two 20" H-Bar. One was set up with a Nightforce 8x32x56. The other with a Acog TA55. The Nightforce really brings them in close, but I found myself using the Acog more because of the quicker follow up shots.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Were there a lot of dogs? What would you estimate your average distances?

Thanks Again:
Rob
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
150-200 yard average with the Acog TA55. Occasionally Would get one at 250-300 but with a few misses. When you first start shooting there are some close shots. What I liked best about the Acog over the Nightforce was the ability to take a quick 2nd shot. I would sometimes lose my dog with the Nightforce and have to crank the power down and find him again. Sometimes the prairie dog mounds all look the same in a scope. By the way, what part of MN are you from? I'm in SE MN.  Dan
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top