Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/19/2015 12:26:59 AM EST
I use low power reading glasses (2.00) ... my distance vision is 20/20.

I have a 3-9 power scope on my M400.

WITHOUT my glasses I can turn the ocular lens adjustment to make the crosshairs very clear ... but the target is then a bit fuzzy ... or, I can adjust the ocular lens adjustment so the target is clear but the crosshairs are a bit out of focus ...

The same happens WITH my glasses.

Is this just the nature of the beast or am I doing something wrong?

Is there some way of adjusting both to be clear or do I have to pick somewhere in the middle?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:02:41 AM EST
I am nearsighted, so pretty much I have to take off my glasses to comfortably shoot with a scope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:43:10 AM EST
does the scope have parallax adjustment?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:43:12 AM EST
I was similar to you/your eyes. Low powered reading glasses, for several years. Now I wear them for distance, too.

But, I always have set my scopes up for my eyes without the glasses. Push comes to shove, I may not have the glasses on, may lose them, etc.

I never noticed mine being fuzzy at a distance (the target) when the cross hairs were in focus.

I have a shit pot load of different scopes on different rifles. Bushnell, Nikon, SUIT, Burris, PA, Redfield, Weaver, etc. Never noticed it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:02:20 AM EST
Yep shooting a scope with glasses sucks. I have been wearing glasses since the thrid grade near sited too hell and back. Here are the things I do to degate the problems with fish eye and scope bite to name a few. I go with a little longer eye relief also the same cheek weld every time once I have the ocular adjusted on the scope where I have full view. Never had a problem with fuzzy cross hairs/targets though even with el-cheapo scopes. Just keep working with your ocular on the scope with very fine adjustments and it should clear up the cross hairs and the target.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:26:24 AM EST
You should be wearing some sort of eye protection, yes? Good non-glass lenses are better than nothing.

It takes some experimenting, but there should be a focus setting that has both the reticle and target in crisp focus at least at the parallax-free distance of your scope. All mine have been that way, but I will admit it can be tricky to find.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:58:12 PM EST
The ocular lens diopter adjustment on a rifle scope is to bring the cross-hairs into sharp focus not the target.
If the scope has an adjustable objective lens/parallax compensation it will bring the target into focus.
You might find a scope with an adj objective would suit you better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:49:15 PM EST
If you can manage well without glasses by all means do so. If that is not an option, keep a set of ruggedized prescription shooting glasses in the rifle case.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:48:51 PM EST
Thanks for the replies guys ...

Yes, an AO scope would do the trick I think ... however I didn't know of these when I bought the one I have ... I'll work with it as suggested and see ... if not I'll change it out.

I do wear plano shooting glasses when not wearing my presc glasses ... also I use a magic dot that I have from my old trapshooting career ... works great.

So far my best groups seem to be with just the plano glasses, optical adjusted for clear crosshairs ... there is no parallax adjustment.

I have a Trijicon red dot and a 3x flip to side reticle on order ... we'll see how that works out too ... great fun trying this stuff out ...
Top Top