Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 12:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 2:15:36 PM EDT by mchad]
I am looking to build up a highly accurate, scoped upper, and am trying to choose between the Bushmaster 24" varminter upper, or the Fulton Armory Accutron. I have had very good experience with Bushmasters high end barrels, I have a DCM upper that shoots far better then I do. I have heard good things about FA, but no experience with their gear.

Anyone have any recommendations either way? I am looking to shoot only out to 200m, and for target purposes, scoped, only.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:22:20 PM EDT
Have you looked at the RRA nat'l match flat top? I am looking at one from RBprecision.com right now. I had one a while ago and really liked it.. The price is good as well..
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:35:23 PM EDT
Oly SUM barrels are supposed to be very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:49:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 9:52:54 AM EDT by Fenian]

Originally Posted By JimTh:
Oly SUM barrels are supposed to be very accurate.

I've got 2, a 16" and a 20"...I'm not impressed so far, but I haven't done much load workup.

Believe it or not, my most accurate rifle so far is a Model 1 kit with a 16" ER Shaw barrel. It shoots 1" with my plinking load, and well below that with my accuracy loads.

I hear the BM varmint uppers are very accurate, but I don't have any first hand experience.

If you're only going out to 200 meters, I'd just stick with a 20" barrel...you won't lose any accuracy, and the loss of muzzle velocity at 200 yards won't hurt ya.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:03:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 10:05:32 AM EDT by mchad]
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I spoke to one of the guys at FA, just back from Perry, and they had a leftover "predator" varminter upper available, with one of their older style rectangular free floater handguards (actually a more expensive version then the standard round one they now use) with a 24" SS 1x8 barrel which they claim will shoot about 1/2 moa. We'll see...

They cut me a pretty good deal on it, a couple of hundred dollars less then the Bushmaster Varminter which I was also looking at. I also ordered a lower parts kit from Bushmaster, with their Compass Lake 2 stage trigger, which I have on my BM DCM rifle, and I like it a lot. After seeing how much I had spent, I cheaped out on the scope, and bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40 from SWFA for $279, and found a set of extra high Leupold rings here for $60

HOPEFULLY I'll have it all on Friday, where I can spend (unfortunatly, another) Friday night ar home building it up for a range run on Saturday, where I can suffer through barrel break-in procedures...

Wish me luck
Top Top