Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 3:35:56 PM EDT
Here's a dilema I have. I want to scope my 20" fixed sight A2. I can top it with an ACOG derivative or flat-top it and go with a Leupold derivative. My question is if I go with a flat-top and scope it will the fixed front disappear(shadow or ghost) with somewhere around a 4x-?x scope. I have no experience with this but if a minimum of a 4x magnification will (shadow or ghost) the front sight I will probably go flat-top with scope with some kind of ARMS mount. I would like to keep the front fixed and use an ARMS 40 for the rear in that set up. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
genius91
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you desire a scope of 4x or more and the ARMS fold down rear sight, and don't want a shadow of the front sight, there is one solution. The ARMS #38 ex..
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I confused the issue. The only thing I ever mounted a scope on was an old Marlin 22 rifle. I was wondering will a magnification of at least 4x when mounted to a flat-top, make the front sight unnoticible. Is it bothersome or out of focus enough to ignore? If I flat-top the rifle I was planning on some QD type of scope rings mounting directly to the upper. If the front sight is going to be bothersome than the 38 looks to be the way to go. Looks to me to raise any scope mounting by 1/2"(from picture @ ARMS).

I hope that was a little better explanation.

thanks,
genius91
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm confused by the A3 and scope issue myself. I don't understand how the field of view won't be blocked by the front sight if the scope is mounted low. If I have to get the scope above the front sight post, I might as well get an A2, right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That's where I'm at. With the QD mounts I have seen, they appear to place the scopes center near the top front sight post. If the focus is far enough ahead of the front sight post it should ghost the lower portion only. Unfortunately I have no experience with this. I hope to have access to some ARMS hardware at the funshow this weekend. This'll give me a better idea of where the scope's center line would be placed in reference to the front sight with QD mounts or the 38.

genius91
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm confused by the A3 and scope issue myself. I don't understand how the field of view won't be blocked by the front sight if the scope is mounted low. If I have to get the scope above the front sight post, I might as well get an A2, right?
View Quote

Trust me, unless your using a no-power or lower than 4x scope you'll not notice the FST on your AR. As it's too close to the objective end of the scope to focus on.

I have used this set-up on many occasions, when for round testing and such I replace the EOTech or ML2 with my Leupold 4.5x14x40 V-III mil-dot and am NEVER even aware it's there.....

Not a big deal at all, and I like having a real FST, reserving the #40 BUIS for the rear.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The "ghost image" of the standing front sight will not bother you, that is, if you can even detect it.
On set-ups I have that this image is visible, I use it as a "cant indicator" right before I squeeze-off.  I found when I do this consistantly, my groups inprove by more than .5 MOA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Concur with the above.

Even at 3X, you would have to concentrate hard to see any shadow from the front sight.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate the response, guys. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I really didn't like the idea of the ACOG due the the height. Now I can go in the flat-top direction.

thanks much,
genius91
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent picture Troy.

You will notice it if you are looking for it, but actually shooting you will not know it is there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#11]
TA11 3.5x ACOG/ARMS #19S mount on 16" carbine with fixed front sight

[img]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/DoD2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Burris 4x Compact scope on my flat-top with the ARMS #5 mount and Millett UltraLite medium rings. I can barely see the front sight. No problem.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the identical set-up as Mr. Wilson's, except I don't have a back-up rear sight, and the front-sight "shadow" is a total non-issue.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top