Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 12/27/2015 11:12:04 PM EDT
Just what the title says.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:40:26 AM EDT
Hundreds of options.  Subjective beauty contest of questionable value without more info.

How do you intend to use the rifle 90% of the time?  And the other 10%?

What is your budget?

How important is weight and bulk?

How important is low light performance?

Do you have turret and reticle preferences?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
Budget under $700. Mainly target shooting. Possibly some coyote hunting. Weight not an issue. Would like exposed turrets.
I've looked at the Leupold Vxr like the fire dot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2015 4:26:35 PM EDT by MS556]
You've probably answered your own question:  VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm mil/mil with Firedot TMR.  Superb general purpose mid power tactical scope within your budget.  However, the Firedot is .3 mil, or about 1 MOA.  That's about as small as you can get and still be conspicuous, but it makes sub MOA shooting a bit difficult.  If you get a thinner reticle, its better for target shooting, but terrible for hunting.  The scope is a good compromise, though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:39:24 PM EDT

I have one of these for my 308 AR . Its German  Schott glass  , scope assembled in USA

Smoking deal since its on sale right now for $530 !

Its 2nd focal plane so you may or may not want that . Its also MRAD clicks

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398434/minox-za-5-hd-tac-rifle-scope-3-15x-50mm-illuminated-mr-plex-reticle-matte
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:16:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2015 11:20:39 PM EDT by MS556]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trg42:

I have one of these for my 308 AR . Its German  Schott glass  , scope assembled in USA

Smoking deal since its on sale right now for $530 !

Its 2nd focal plane so you may or may not want that . Its also MRAD clicks

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398434/minox-za-5-hd-tac-rifle-scope-3-15x-50mm-illuminated-mr-plex-reticle-matte
View Quote



There have been problems with this scope, and low light performance was less than expected.  No personal experience, but Outdoor Life optical evalustors have been very ojbective and hse good instrumentation and methodology.  Maybe this Minox discontinued it and inventory is being dumped?  The customer service issue mentioned below the review really sends an alarm signal to me.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/optics/2011/05/minox-za5-3-%E2%80%93-15x50
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I am gonna go back this weekend check out the
Vxr again probably settle for that.
Top Top