Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2006 6:15:50 AM EDT
I'm on board and am going to get a Larue SPR mount (1") for my Burris fullfield to mount on my SPR build. I've always been told that lapping scope rings is required in order to get a proper fit. For a two-piece rig like the Larue, is this required? Should I pay for a lapping kit and lap this mount?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You never know until you try. The first light passes will leave a witness mark. This will tell you what you have and if more or none is needed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You never know until you try. The first light passes will leave a witness mark. This will tell you what you have and if more or none is needed.

new to magnified optics, what is ring lapping?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I will attempt the short version;

It would be like a honing process. Done with both mounted 'bottoms' supporting a specific diameter and rigid precision lapping bar. A honing compound is between the bar and bottom rings pair. A carefully executed motion rubbs the compound between the bar and ring bottoms, all and at once. Wipe clean and observe  alignment.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT lapp LaRue rings. It is not required. And LaRue warns customers not to do it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do NOT lapp LaRue rings. It is not required. And LaRue warns customers not to do it.

+1

Also, you should feel free to email LT and ask them, they have excellent customer service and answered my emails very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered the 1" mount. The customer service rep was going to have Mark call me back to let me know if I should lap them, but obviously you guys have the info.

I'm glad I caught Larue after they'd done a run of these. Thanks for the advice guys.

What size torx key should I be using to tighten these? Is there a specific torque value I should use?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Also, you should feel free to email LT and ask them, they have excellent customer service and answered my emails very quickly.

+2

the ring cap screws should only be around 15in.lbs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why? Whats the manufacture give for a reason? Vertical split? I have a Larue 1" & MK4 about to be paired up & just looking for info. TIA. -Justin
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
They are already perfectly true from the factory, removal of material can only misalign the rings or make them too large or oblong.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just ordered the 1" mount. The customer service rep was going to have Mark call me back to let me know if I should lap them, but obviously you guys have the info.

I'm glad I caught Larue after they'd done a run of these. Thanks for the advice guys.

What size torx key should I be using to tighten these? Is there a specific torque value I should use?

It will come with the correct key, and some blue loc-tite.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

the ring cap screws should only be around 15in.lbs.

Are they 10-32?

Glad I caught this. I should have my SPR-EER this weekend and I was going to lap it. Thanks for the save.

ETA:   Screw Torque Specs
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top