Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/22/2006 6:15:50 AM EDT
I'm on board and am going to get a Larue SPR mount (1") for my Burris fullfield to mount on my SPR build. I've always been told that lapping scope rings is required in order to get a proper fit. For a two-piece rig like the Larue, is this required? Should I pay for a lapping kit and lap this mount?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:33:16 AM EDT
You never know until you try. The first light passes will leave a witness mark. This will tell you what you have and if more or none is needed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:35:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 9:35:29 AM EDT by chromeluv]

Originally Posted By ALAN308:
You never know until you try. The first light passes will leave a witness mark. This will tell you what you have and if more or none is needed.

new to magnified optics, what is ring lapping?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:59:06 PM EDT
I will attempt the short version;

It would be like a honing process. Done with both mounted 'bottoms' supporting a specific diameter and rigid precision lapping bar. A honing compound is between the bar and bottom rings pair. A carefully executed motion rubbs the compound between the bar and ring bottoms, all and at once. Wipe clean and observe alignment.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:05:22 AM EDT
Do NOT lapp LaRue rings. It is not required. And LaRue warns customers not to do it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:16:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Do NOT lapp LaRue rings. It is not required. And LaRue warns customers not to do it.

+1

Also, you should feel free to email LT and ask them, they have excellent customer service and answered my emails very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:15:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 5:15:57 AM EDT by RavenVT100]
I just ordered the 1" mount. The customer service rep was going to have Mark call me back to let me know if I should lap them, but obviously you guys have the info.

I'm glad I caught Larue after they'd done a run of these. Thanks for the advice guys.

What size torx key should I be using to tighten these? Is there a specific torque value I should use?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:13:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bolster:

+1

Also, you should feel free to email LT and ask them, they have excellent customer service and answered my emails very quickly.

+2

the ring cap screws should only be around 15in.lbs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:05:02 AM EDT

Why? Whats the manufacture give for a reason? Vertical split? I have a Larue 1" & MK4 about to be paired up & just looking for info. TIA. -Justin
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:47:00 AM EDT
They are already perfectly true from the factory, removal of material can only misalign the rings or make them too large or oblong.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:21:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RavenVT100:
I just ordered the 1" mount. The customer service rep was going to have Mark call me back to let me know if I should lap them, but obviously you guys have the info.

I'm glad I caught Larue after they'd done a run of these. Thanks for the advice guys.

What size torx key should I be using to tighten these? Is there a specific torque value I should use?

It will come with the correct key, and some blue loc-tite.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 9:35:40 PM EDT by soowah]

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

Originally Posted By bolster:

+1

+2

the ring cap screws should only be around 15in.lbs.

Are they 10-32?

Glad I caught this. I should have my SPR-EER this weekend and I was going to lap it. Thanks for the save.

ETA: Screw Torque Specs
Top Top