Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:47:44 AM EDT
Ok, as a newbie, I need a little education here. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having either a scope or a red dot site? What is the purpose of each one in certain situations? I know the scope would be for long range work and the red dot for short range tactical work. I guess I am just trying to decide what I really need and what to get. Thanks for any comments and help!

E
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have to say go with a scope. Because if your batteries die in a SHTF situation and you lose your little red dot, I would'nt want to be changing batteries while I'm being shot at. Then again I'm a newb also so someone may say thats why you have BUIS. Oh well I'm happy with my compact scope.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Red-dot gives you faster target aquisition but good with the iron sights first.

That's why you co-witness the red-dot with your iron sights or you could get a Trijicon reflex sight and not worry about batteries at all
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok, as a newbie, I need a little education here. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having either a scope or a red dot site? What is the purpose of each one in certain situations? I know the scope would be for long range work and the red dot for short range tactical work. I guess I am just trying to decide what I really need and what to get. Thanks for any comments and help!

E

You really need to decide what type of shooting you will be doing and what type of rifle you have/will be getting.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

E

From my experience and what someone else posted, you really have to decide what you are going to need the scope/red dot for.

Red Dots:
a.  Uses:  (0-100 Yards)
b.  The best CQB (Close Quarters) sight available due to rapid target acquisition.
c.  Good all purpose Military/Law Enforcement sight.  Limited only by 1X magnification.
d.  Excellent for hunting where speed is desired over magnification.

Pro’s:
a.  Generally very rugged.
b.  Unlimited eye relief.
c.  Parallax free (Dot does not need to be centered in the scope.).

Con’s:
a.  Uses batteries.  (Although some have a battery life of 50,000 hrs.).
b.  1X magnification.  (Although some Aimpoint Sights come in a fixed 2X magnification or a 3X magnifier can be used in tandem with some Aimpoint Sights.).
c.  Can fail.

Scopes:
a.  Uses:  (0-500 Yards)
b.  Good CQB scope, depending on the magnification range.
c.  Good all purpose Military/Law Enforcement scope.
d.  Good for hunting where speed and magnification is desired.

Pro’s:
a.  Variable magnification offers options.  (1-4X magnification.).
b.  Generally very rugged.
c.  Optical glass makes identification easier.
d.  Batteries not an issue since reticle is black.

Con’s:
1.  Not parallax free (Dot needs to be centered in the scope.).
2.  Eye relief is critical.
3.  Can be very expensive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the repsonses! Some good food for thought :)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of rifle are you thinking about putting an optic on.

In my opinion a red dot is better for something shorter, faster, more CQB friendly. While a scope is more practical for something that is accurate at longer ranges, but may be used at shorter ranges if needed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
my rule of thumb...

If you expect to be making most shots past 100 meters get some magnification.  Under? Get a red dot.  No mater what practice with your irons with you rifle.

I have a rifle with each.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an DPMS M4gery A1 for all that have asked what I have.

E
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have an DPMS M4gery A1 for all that have asked what I have.

E

Now that I know which rifle you have, if it were me, my first choice would be a red dot, Aimpoint or Eotech. My second choice would be a Trijicon ACOG TA31 or TA31A.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top