Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 8:02:51 AM EDT
I have a M4A3 on order from our friends at Armalite.  I am purchasing it  for my KIDS to shoot. Colapsible stock to fit their short statured needs.  I need to mount a scope on this rifle so my youngest can shoot a few turkeys this fall(hopefully 4), We are over run with them.  I have plenty of scopes lying around. What would be the best mount to  affix one to the flat top? Quick release bases of some sort would be ideal, so I can remove and reinstall scope at will. The rifle does have a fixed front sight hanging out there. I like them to shoot iron sights as much as possible when plinking. But I prefer them to use a scope during hunting applications.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
    It is usually a better idea to practice with the same sight system as you hunt with, especially with kids. They don't have the experience level of a seasoned shooter. I use the Mark 4 Leupold mounts for extreme accuracy. I tried other mounts, but when I switched to the Leupold Mark 4 mount, my groups tightened up another 1/4 MOA.  You can remove the mounted scope and reinstall it with less than one MOA change in Point of Impact. With FMJ ammo, the turkeys don't stand a chance. The FMJ just blows a hole thru them about as big as a quarter. And for those not familiar with Texas turkey hunting, using rifles is legal.
    I also have an Eotech 552 on an M4A3. It should do very well on turkeys at closer range for the young-uns. We will find out next year.
    Good luck turkey hunting! It is one of the finer things in life for you and the kids.
                                                                    Carey (Kingwood, TX)
                                                                    Member National Wild Turkey Federation
                                                                    Member Ducks Unlimited
                                                                    NRA Life Member
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I will have them practicing with the scope. I just like them to prcatice with irons also. Thus the need for a quick release type set up. Do the mark 4 leopold mounts, mount directly to the flat top?

I too have taken many turkeys wiht the .223 fmj. It is an excellent choice for this duty.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue QD rings are the ticket. They DO return to zero. I know.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
    Be sure to consider eye relief as well as height - the Picatinny rail on a flat-top may not let you mount the scope far enough forward for a comfortable position, especially in prone. I use an extended riser (1/2" high) made by Accuracy Speaks (available direct or from Brownell's) combined with standard-height rings.  There's now a similar one available from Compass Lake Engineering.  This gives me an extra 4" of rail and lets me mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT (a rather long scope) and gives me the option for an extra 15' of built-in elevation for long range work. I'm using Burris Signature Zee rings - they are inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.  A big advantage of the Signature rings is the floating insert that self aligns - no need to lap the rings to avoid stressing the scope tube.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The basic 1 piece mount that Rock River makes seems to work pretty dang well.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top