Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 4:00:34 AM EDT
How do you mount a scope so that it is true with the rifle? I put it on a stand on a level table, then sight on a verticle item in the distance. I line up the vertical crosshair, then tighten the scope. I am close, but it seems that the scope always has a little cant to it.

Are any of the available tools helpful? I've checked out the ACD, but you still have to reference it correctly to the scope. Any tips or tools from an expert? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How do you mount a scope so that it is true with the rifle? I put it on a stand on a level table, then sight on a verticle item in the distance. I line up the vertical crosshair, then tighten the scope. I am close, but it seems that the scope always has a little cant to it.

Are any of the available tools helpful? I've checked out the ACD, but you still have to reference it correctly to the scope. Any tips or tools from an expert? Thanks

We will start from scratch here. A brand new remington 700 bolt action rifle, millett 2 piece windage adjustable scope bases, millett scope rings and a leupold 3-9 variable power scope. (Fairly common hunting rig.)
Now lets mount the scope the right way to achieve its full accuracy potential.
(1) Mount the rifle in a padded vise as far away from a wall opposing the muzzle end of the rifle, the farther away the better.

(2) Attach the scope mount base to the rifle securely.

(3) Now take a level and lay it on the base horizontal to the rifle bore. Level the rig out in the vise and lock it down.

(4) Attach the scope rings, make sure the scope will lay down into the rings without them moving when you go to tighten the scope into the rings.

(5) Now take the scope and put it between 2 v blocks and spin the scope watching the crosshairs for wobble, adjust the scope to insure there is no wobble in the crosshairs, this is critical to your accuracy.

(6) Check to make sure that your rig is still level in the vise and then set the scope in the rings.

(7) On the opposing wall away from the rifle muzzle draw a vertical and horizontal line, again using a level to insure that the line is plumb vertically and level horizontally. It should look like a plus sign. +

(8) Remove the bolt from the rifle, looking through the rifles bore, center the plus sign in it.

(9)  Align the vertical post in the scope with the vertical line on the wall using only the windage screws on the scope base
(Do Not Use The Windage Screws On The Scope For This)
and tighten down the scope rings, make sure that all stay level and plumb vertically and horizontally.
 If you have done everything correctly, you have just mounted the scope to all the exact tolerances that have been machined into all the scope mount components. Everything is to its true and exact mechanical center point.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I usually do the same method, but I use a 16 ounce plumb bob with some flourescent orage contractor twine, hang it in my garage and sit at the end of my driveway (120 feet) and use this as a level datum.  The key is to get the rifle level (twist) and to make sure the scope rings are true.  As you are snugging up the screws on the rings, keep looking every so often in through the scope to make sure the scope is not turning.

I have been doing this for years, and all my friends bring me thier new toys to install the scope, my fee is usually beer.

77Bronc
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top