Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2018 8:00:39 AM EDT
Considering signing up for a what is listed as a mid to long range tactical carbine course. 223 only, 50-650 yards, steel targets. There's no bench shooting and they recommend a rifle <10lbs because we'll be carrying it around and propping off random natural terrain objects.

My eyes are 55 yrs old and I wear bifocals. I'm still a good shot and I'd rather be slightly over-magnified, than under, but I don't want to carry around an over-kill sized scope either.

Recommended max power for that range? I'm thinking 12-14, but I'm open to the voice of experience. I just don't have opportunity to shoot at those distances.

As mentioned, I'm leaning toward the Sig Tango 4 in either 4-14x44 or 3-12x42 , but don't want to get tunnel vision and miss-out on another brand that performs better in a similar price range.
The 4-14 comes in the DEV-L recital (which seems to be well liked in my research so far), the 3-12 does not.
4-14 with DEV-L runs ~$800

Am I overly worried about the 650 yard range? Would I be better off looking at the various 1-8 scopes?

One advantage I see to the 14x is that I believe I'll have a better chance of seeing where I'm hitting (or missing).

This is not a one and done. My goal is to spend more effort and look for opportunities to shoot longer ranges.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
PA 1-6x ACSS, PA 1-8x ACSS. PA 1-6 Raptor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
vortex just updated the diamondback series
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top