Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 9:42:44 PM EDT
Having never owned one before, I'd like to know what the accuracy potential is of your 'typical' AR.

Looking at getting a Spike's, could it hit an 8" steel target at 350 yards if I do my part?  My Garand has trouble with it, more 'minute of man' at that distance.  It's old, not complaining.  

I get more satisfaction shooting with iron peep sights than cheating with a scope.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The AR-15/M-16 platform was never designed, intended, or optimized as a long range precision shooting instrument.

Like any true assault rifle, it was designed for short to medium range engagements (>200 yards), because as the infantry experts of the world had realized by the middle of World War II, those ranges are where MOST combat was taking place.

There are other tools in the toolbox for long range precision shooting.

Not saying you can't do it with an AR, just saying that you are entering a racehorse into the roping event.

ETA: This reply is based upon your mention of a "typical" AR, and not a highly specialized or custom build.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Spikes and hit the gong as much as you want.

All you need is good ammo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be reloading for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have the $$$ get the 18" SPR upper spike's sells, with that and a scope you can easily hit 3" gongs every time at 300 yards

Assuming you get the CHF DD barrel ($100 upgrade i think) and use good ammo it will shoot 1.5-2moa so it will shoot 5.25-7" groups at 350 yards assuming you do your part.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have the $$$ get the 18" SPR upper spike's sells, with that and a scope you can easily hit 3" gongs every time at 300 yards

3" gongs wouldn't make much sound would they?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just trying to show how accurrate it is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BANG! *ding*  BANG! *ding*  BANG! *ding*

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Free Float Handguards, good trigger with the right load and you will do it all day long with a decent optic.  If your using irons it will depend on your experience level.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#9]
The biggest difficulty I can see with this situation is in aiming at something 8 inches in diameter at 300+ yards. NRA competition targets typically have an aiming black that is 6 MOA in diameter. A target half that size will encourage "bull-gazing" (focusing on the target instead of the front sight).

You don't need any exotic modifications to achieve excellent accuracy with the AR-15 platform, but a decent optic will make what you want to do a lot easier.  As the above poster said, a free-floated barrel and good trigger are about all you need. One easy way to do that is with a RRA NMA2 or A4. I shot the group in my avatar at 300 yards prone with cheap Federal bulk pack .223 from Wal-Mart. Iron sights, rapid fire. (Ten shots in less than 70 seconds with a magazine change).

If I were in your boat, I'd get the RRA NMA4 with 1/2x1/2 minute sights. You can shoot it with the carry handle attached for iron sight practice, or mount an optic to the rail when you want to. You'll have a heavy match barrel, free-floated handguards and a great trigger.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top