Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:43:30 PM EDT
Finished my first build last month.  For my first one I purchased a kit with the upper already completed all I had to do was the lower. The carrier key came loose after about 120 rounds.  Looking at it, I can see were it was staked from the side bot it was very lightly done.  I loctited it and staked it again, much heavier this time.   I don't want to bad mouth the vendor is this something that happens from all makers now and then?  I guess I should have checked the upper more closely.  I want to build a varmint rifle next the model one sales has it in kit form but I wonder about the barrel quality.  I would like to be able to put 3 shots in a quarter at about 300 yards.  What advice anybody can give would be appreciated.  Oh yeah what would have happened if the carrier key came off, I have visions of gas comeing out of places it shouldn't.  Personal damage, rifle damage, andybody experience this problem?

Sorry this is so long, this is my new hobby.

Mike H
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to be able to do that you better have one nice barrel , hand loads and lots of trigger time.

U.S. mint quarter is just a little less than 1 in.  so you need a 1/3 MOA barrel. Can you shoot 3/8 if an ince groups at 100 yds ?

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you want to be able to do that you better have one nice barrel , hand loads and lots of trigger time.

U.S. mint quarter is just a little less than 1 in.  so you need a 1/3 MOA barrel. Can you shoot 3/8 if an ince groups at 100 yds ?

Invisiblesoul

My heart beat makes the cross hairs jump more than that. But, that's just me!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Your right but I would like the rifle to be capable of it basicaly I want to build a ringer.  I do have a mini mauser 223 (interams) that can put 3 in a postage stamp size target at 100 yards, have not tried further yet.   Whats the best barrel between ER shaw and dpms also what are the match grade 24 inch varmint barrels at M&A parts?

Mike H
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top