Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2003 10:37:44 PM EDT

Top to bottom:

1.  Bushmaster with early guards (because nobody uses them anymore and they always attract good conversation.  I actually like them better too)

2.  Oly M4 like substance with RRA tac entry carry handle (Great shooting little carbine and you cant beat the deal.  Fobus M44 guards on order then the M4 guards going to the 9mm)

3.  Oly Lower with RRA 9mm upper (colt system using sten mags)

Funny thing is.... As long as I have been shooting I never really had any interest in AR's and they still are not my favorite rifle but DAMN, they sure are fun to mix and match.  Now that the 9 is almost done, I think I will cool it for a while.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, thats what all the addicts say.
I can quit anytime I want.

So, whats next?
Looks like you need a varminter.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, a definite victim of "BRD" ( Black Rifle
Disease). Congrat's a nice start to an armory
of your own.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
 I just put Triangles on my Match HBAR just to throw people off.  AZGunner's SWEET wood stocked A3 gave me the idea.  See his avatar to see what I mean.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
This only happens once a year its called the migration of money to AR15. You need to let your wife hold on to the money in the house and this seams to stop it!
All though there seams to be an influx of more knickknacks in the house after this. And female shoes and hand bags ect ect.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi.  This is my first post here on the forums but I have been reading them for a couple of weeks now.  I really like your second rifle, how much was it?  Is there a website for it?  Also this may sound dumb but how old do I have to be to own one of these beasts?  Right now im only 14, about to be 15 on June 13th.  Also are there licenses or laws/regulations when owning one of them too?   I took a look at the legal sections on the main site but most of it went right over my head, can anyone help me?

-Elbudster  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi.  This is my first post here on the forums but I have been reading them for a couple of weeks now.  I really like your second rifle, how much was it?  Is there a website for it?  Also this may sound dumb but how old do I have to be to own one of these beasts?  Right now im only 14, about to be 15 on June 13th.  Also are there licenses or laws/regulations when owning one of them too?   I took a look at the legal sections on the main site but most of it went right over my head, can anyone help me?

-Elbudster  
View Quote

Welcome Eldubster!  Its always nice to see the youngins' starting off on the right foot.

The rifle in question is an Olympic Arms A3 with a M4 profile barrel.  The A3 means it has a detachable top carry handle.  Here is a link to their website.  As for the price, that is up to the person or the shop selling.  In this case I purchased it new at a shop for around $800.

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]

In most states, you have to be 18 to purchase a rifle (21 for a handgun) but as for ownership, that is up to your parents.  I have a 10 year old son and he owns 2 rifles already.  Here is a link that describes the gun laws in your state.

[url]http://www.gunlaws.com/links/linkswi.htm[/url]

Hope this helps!

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the quick reply!!! I was looking at the Bushmaster site and the $800 for the Olympic sounds much better than the $1,000 for a Bushmaster.  I'll take a look when I get home from school today, all this week I got finals :(

-Elbudster
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]
rickinvegas, nice looking collection you've got there.

Elbudster, welcome to the site.  The Bushmaster site lists retail prices.  Keep that in mind.  For example, around here you can get a 20" A2 HBAR for $770 and a 20" A3 for about $830.  You can also save some money by purchasing a complete upper over the internet (saves taxes, but costs shipping; no need to purchase through an FFL) and purchase either a complete or a stripped lower from a local dealer.  Just something to consider.  Again, welcome!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright I was checking out the sites, the laws site went right over my head too :S and I really like this gun http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html.  The lifetime warranty also looks good.  However I was wondering, since money is going to be an issue if I buy that gun or a gun like it, I was wondering what the best lightweight, accurate, and cheapest plinking gun I could get?  All I will probably be able to do with it is plinking unless it is legal to take it deer hunting, which would be pretty cool.  Sorry about going off topic on this thread...  If I should make a new post please let me know.  Any ideas for the ideal gun for me?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep.  I'd say start a new thread in AR Discussions.  You'll get a lot more replies.  Also, to make links active use the [ url ] tags.

See:

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]

Then people can just click on the link.  To use the tags, type [ url ][ /url ].  Except don't use any spaces like in my example.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
uh oh.....there must be somthing wrong with me. i only have 1 ar
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Alright I was checking out the sites, the laws site went right over my head too :S and I really like this gun
View Quote

You are obviously an intelligent young man!

However I was wondering, since money is going to be an issue if I buy that gun or a gun like it, I was wondering what the best lightweight, accurate, and cheapest plinking gun I could get?
View Quote

Tall order - like asking which is the best looking, fastest, cheapest car I can get.  See the problem?

However the good news is just about any AR is going to be more accurate than you are.  Lightweight narrows it down a bit - for a true lightweight you will be limited to Bushmaster, DPMS, and Oly.  If you want to include M4 types (I recommend it) which only weight a few ounces more then you can select from Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms, Rock River Arms, and Cavalry Arms.

Do some more reasearch/ask questions about what you want kind of features you want in your rifle.

...unless it is legal to take it deer hunting, which would be pretty cool.
View Quote

Depends on the state you live in.  In my state (Maryland) you can use .223 for deer hunting.  Providing you are in a county that allows the use of rifles for hunting (most counties in the state only allow shotgun/muzzloader/archery).

Any ideas for the ideal gun for me?  
View Quote

IMHO the Rock River Arms with the chrome lined barrel is a very good deal.  Most of the features of the Bushmaster with pricing closer to the Olympic Arms.

Models to look at from Oly include the OLY FAR which is very lighweight.  The OLY Plinker is a bit heavier (about 7.3lbs IIRC) and not quite as durable but its fine for plinking.

BTW I have been putting parts away for my son's AR since before he was born.  His will end up being a M4 barrel/A2 upper with an A1 stock (parts mostly from Bushmaster).  Nice light weight and very durable/reliable.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info Forest, would you believe im 14th in my class of over 400 students?  I'll keep reading up on the rifles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Its very cool to see another person who took interest in firearms about the same time I did. I'm 18 now, and own a Bushmaster M4-'gery'. Also, be realistic about how much access to the gun you buy, you will have.. I actually wanted my parents to keep it in our safe (to which I dont have the combo for), that way I knew it was secure when I wasnt around.

If I were you, I'd get as familiar with prices or parts and guns as much as possible and learn/figure out what fits you best. I bought my rifle pretty fast after I started looking, and I wish I had waited as I could have paid 200$ less. :(
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Elbudster,
I am about to blow away at least an hour of your time.....

Here is a link to my favorite ebay search.  I think you will enjoy browsing the listings here as this is a real example of what AR items actually sell for as well getting ideas for building and equipping your AR.  Have fun.

[url]http://cq-search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&from=R7&ebaytag1=ebayreg&query=%28ar15%2Car-15%2C-airsoft%29&query2=ar15+ar-15+-airsoft&search_option=2&exclude=&category0=&minPrice=&maxPrice=[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#17]
AR-15's are evil...............evil is good...
back before the ban some of my shooting buds had Colt's....they said better get one....I kept puttin it off.So when I started lookin for a serious rifle I tryed the sks,AK,and the mini..
then the ar..I laughed at the plastic,the funky handle,and the SPRUNGGGG.....every time I shot it...........then I noticed this gun can do or be made to do anything...so I saved uo the bucks and got a bushie....500$ grabed a dozen mag's and started shootin....then at the next gun show I bought a few spare parts..the parts layed around and were never used so I got a spare lower and put the parts in.....you all know the story.....AR's are evil...worst than any drug.....but this week I finish gun #8........EVIL IS GOOD.........
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, some of the stuff on the Ebay link looked really nice but I'd be a little weary getting something off Ebay...  I remember talking to my shop teacher last year once and he was really mad because he bought something off Ebay and the person never sent him the item.  Varmit could I see some pictures of your ars?  Also, is buying parts and a stripped lower better than buying a whole gun?  From what I've read I have heard so...  I was talking to my parents about getting an ar15, my mom doesnt like guns that much anyways so she just said no, my dad who loves guns just laughed because he has seen how much I have been looking at ar15 sites and then he started talking about how a gun that fires a 300 winchester mag is so much better or something.  I might be able to talk him into it though if I show enough initiative, manage to get enough money somehow, and the idea of putting one together might intrigue him [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top