Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 9:24:23 PM EDT
What do I need to buy to start sandblasting? It does not need to be the best out there it  just needs to get the job done. Let me know what works for you. Thanks a million
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Stickman, Nice, Are you James from Tactical Solutions? That's what I  gathered from reading some post here on the forums. If you are I have a question that you might be able to answer.

As for compressor I do not have one. YET.  I went to The Home Depot and took a look. I did not know what to get. What are the minimum requirements for the compressor I should get? Any links to where I get get what I need are appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget the sand!!!  

You'll need a good blasting cabinet, I reccommend a 100+ gal compressor that can also operate at at least an 80% duty cycle.  You'll need a good gun and the proper media....AND A GROUNDING STRAP ON THE GUN.

unless you like getting your nippies electrocuted.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Would this work with a good compressor?
Sandblaster
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
100+ gal compressor Wow, The only thing I could find around where I live is an 80 Gallon vertical tank.Like the one in the pick below. I'm looking a little over $900 after taxes.  That is a little more than I want to spend right now. Can I not get away with something smaller?

Quoted:
Don't forget the sand!!!  

You'll need a good blasting cabinet, I reccommend a 100+ gal compressor that can also operate at at least an 80% duty cycle.  You'll need a good gun and the proper media....AND A GROUNDING STRAP ON THE GUN.

unless you like getting your nippies electrocuted.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#6]
You need a lot of air or you're wasting your time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You need a lot of air or you're wasting your time.

+1

We have a 80 gallon single stage compressor and it is too small for blasting. I have a cabinet too but I've given up until we get a bigger compressor.

I do all my blasting at work where we have a mill air supply.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive been sandblasting and beadblasting for years with a Craftsman 5HP 25 Gal compressor. Its always done the job on Rifles pistols or what ever. Now I wouldnt recommend trying to sandblast the rust off  an old car but for weapons its all youll ever need.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#9]
That's definitely all I"ll need it for. Just for some gun stuff. A AR barrel here and there, Maybe some uppers. Nothing bigger that an AR upper that's for sure.

I called Sears and they did not have that one. Atleast I have an idea what I'm looking for now. If anyone has something similar to this and it works fine let me know. It will ease my mind.Thanks Alot  zander829 and everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd find the sandblast cabinet you're going to buy first and look at the minimum requirements for the compressor.  I bought a Clarke brand cabinet from Tractor Supply for around $100 then found out the minumum air requirements and bought just what I needed for it.  I ended up aith a Husky brand comressor from Home Depot for around $250 IIRC.  It works just fine for work on guns but I do large jobs (like a shotgun receiver & barrel) in stages because the compressor gets pretty hot and I don't want to ruin it.  I use 90 grit aluminum oxide for the media and it has worked well on everything I've tried so far, I think I paid around $30 for a fifty pound box of the stuff and that'll last me for a couple years I'm guessing.  

I'd go as big as you can afford to go on the compressor but if you're going to have to scrape by with it I'd see what the blast cabinet gun requires before you buy the compressor.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
phylodog, Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, when my 80 gallon dual stage called it quits after 30 years, I started using my Cambell Hausfeld 30 gallon unit. It does the job on all my gunsmithing projects along with my large reach side load cabinet from HF.

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
One more thing I would recommend is get a GOOD cabinet for blasting.Theres alot of cheap crap out there. Ive used the same one for the last 12 years and havent had to replace anything on it. The sad part is I cant remember where I got it. I know it was mail order because it cost me about 40.00 to get it shipped to VA.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
How would I know if it is a good cabinet?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Got the American Rifleman today.  They show a picture of somebody using a Speed Blaster $40 for sand blasting.  Went to Speed Blaster web site and they say you need a 3hp compressor.  They are pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
A good cabinet will be well made,A thick glass or plexiglass lid. Good brass fitting(for the air connection). Should have some type of vac system to keep down on the dust. Mine burnt out after 8 years and i just bought another small shop vac and hooked to it. The blasting gun should have replacable ceramic nozzle's and you should be able to replace the hoses if needed.There should be a tight fit around the glass too.  Also the Gloves should be well made. Mine came with an internal light but I ended up taking it out and just using a shop light above it. Ill look arounfd on the internet tonight and see if I find anything good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#17]
you don't need a sandblast cabinet

www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3426

check out harbor freight tools......all the blasting supplies you ever need, dirt cheap

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=505&pricetype=

just spray the sand in your back yard or in a large tin trash can to collect

I'm going to just buy one of these:

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37025

that plus a good compressor and some silica sand and you are good to go
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#18]
heres a couple of nice ones. The blue one is real similar to the one i have.

http://www.etchworld.com/item--Benchtop-Abrasive-Cabinet--62-6012

http://www.maxtool.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=/tools.mdb,dbTYPE=2000,tbl=IC_ITEMS,template=/comp_master-3.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,ReturnMax=25,DBSORT=ITEM,DB_CAT2=BenchSB

the second link look at model number WM9024
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 for Harbor Freight.  I do a little light light sand blasting with $200 compressor and a $50 gun.  For the once in a while, it does just great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A good cabinet will be well made,A thick glass or plexiglass lid. Good brass fitting(for the air connection). Should have some type of vac system to keep down on the dust. Mine burnt out after 8 years and i just bought another small shop vac and hooked to it. The blasting gun should have replacable ceramic nozzle's and you should be able to replace the hoses if needed.There should be a tight fit around the glass too.  Also the Gloves should be well made. Mine came with an internal light but I ended up taking it out and just using a shop light above it. Ill look arounfd on the internet tonight and see if I find anything good.

The Clarke I got from Tractor Supply meets all of those criteria.  I also use a shopvac with a drywall dust bag/filter in it and it works fine.  I did have to partially thread a couple of screws on the lip to keep if from closing completely because the shopvac tries to suck the gloves out of their attachments.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats a good idea with the screws on the lid......I drilled a few small holes around the top of mine to keep it from sucking the gloves off. Another tip I learned was what to use for a blast shield to keep the sand from eating up the glass or plexiglas lid. I used to use the clear plastic sheets you could buy and then tape them in which they never stayed very well and didnt last long. So i got a piece of regular plexiglas and cut it to fit and it lasts about 10 times as long as the plastic sheets. Might cost a little more but its worth it . Dont have to worry about the tape coming loose it just sits on top right under the lid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
For small stuff and occassional use you can get by with a 3HP compressor.  I use a Porter Cable pancake and made a blasting cabinet out of a carboard box, duct tape, a pain of glass, and some rubber gloves.  I just adapted a hopper type blasting setup for use with the "Hommie don't play dat" cabinet.  I did get glass beads.

Aint pretty but works well enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Just FYI, you don't have to sandblast Parkerized finishes before applying Molyresin.  Nor do you need to sandblast an AR-15 anodized aluminum upper or lower receiver.  The finish is more than coarse enough to hold Molyresin.

You do need to sandblast smooth blued steel before Molyresin.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top