Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2011 10:14:44 AM EDT
Checked one out in a shop yesterday. Actually it was a 4 Wheel Drive Specialties store with a gun shop. Go figure..

Anyhow, This rifle has no forward assist. Has the feed ramps. Everything was pinned correctly. Gas Key and Castle nut.. But checked out the balance and seemed stock heavy. Had the light barrel. A2 sight configuration. But still, No forward assist. The "sales-lady" said that forward assist is a throwback from the M-16 days and is not needed anymore.. I say, With a D.I. rifle, I personally would want this feature. Just in case.

They had it listed for $750.. They also had a DPMS  for $850 ..  It did have the feed ramps cut. Gas pin WAS staked but not as good as the M&P. Castle nut was not staked.. But, had those funky fiber optic front sights that I do not trust. It had the heavier barrel and was more balanced. A2 sights also. Oh.. Also.. The stock, once I collapsed it, would not release and go back out. The "lever" was way loose and looked pretty damn cheesy IMO. I even showed that to the sales lady who said " My husband had to fix some other DPMS stocks but worked fine after that"..

What do you guys think ?

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say check out Spike's. You could build a rifle for around that price and even get a lightweight barrel. You wouldn't have to worry about the forward assist or the stock on the DPMS.

I have been looking into putting together a new rifle with a Spike's upper and Palmetto lower for around that price so that is just my .02
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Pass on both of those.  Look at Spikes, Palmetto and BCM before even considering one of those overpriced rifles.  MUCH better quality and right around the same price.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The Sport is a good AR. If clean your guns from time to time and aren't using it as a service rifle, you don't need a FA.

$750? Retail I think is $709. Don't buy it at that price.

Can't say much about DPMS, some will say they're no good, only listen to people with personal experience with them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Checked one out in a shop yesterday. Actually it was a 4 Wheel Drive Specialties store with a gun shop. Go figure..

Anyhow, This rifle has no forward assist. Has the feed ramps. Everything was pinned correctly. Gas Key and Castle nut.. But checked out the balance and seemed stock heavy. Had the light barrel. A2 sight configuration. But still, No forward assist. The "sales-lady" said that forward assist is a throwback from the M-16 days and is not needed anymore.. I say, With a D.I. rifle, I personally would want this feature. Just in case.

They had it listed for $750.. They also had a DPMS  for $850 ..  It did have the feed ramps cut. Gas pin WAS staked but not as good as the M&P. Castle nut was not staked.. But, had those funky fiber optic front sights that I do not trust. It had the heavier barrel and was more balanced. A2 sights also. Oh.. Also.. The stock, once I collapsed it, would not release and go back out. The "lever" was way loose and looked pretty damn cheesy IMO. I even showed that to the sales lady who said " My husband had to fix some other DPMS stocks but worked fine after that"..

What do you guys think ?

I think you can  buy one off GUNBROKER for around $600.00 . A friend of mine bought 2  for $579.00 plus $20.00 shipping from ray tanner in P.A. . and a $20.00 TRANSFER AND NO SALES TAX.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=235714129

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet the Castle nut is staked.  I though my M&P 15T wasn't staked until I tried to get it off.  They stake it JUST BARELY so you can  barely see it but it won't let it back off.  I have a mangled one pin spanner wrench that can testify on my behalf.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The sport should be closer to $600 if you look around.  Maybe even a little cheaper, and would probably work just fine for the majority of people that would buy an AR to begin with.

As far as the DPMS stock, you probably had too much pressure on the adjustment lever when you slammed the stock to the retracted position.  That causes the locking pin to hang up on the tube instead of in the locking hole or the race.  That takes away the functionality of the rocking adjustment lever.  If you had pulled the lever down entirely as you tried to extend the stock it would have come right out.  I have seen this happen on more than stock, and they weren't DPMS.  I would place it under user error.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
While all my rifles have one, a forward assist is not really needed IMO. There is a cutout on the side of the bolt carrier you can stick your thumb on and push to close the bolt, if whatever is keeping it from closing is not serious. If it is serious you are better off dropping the mag, working the charging handle a few times and inserting a fresh mag than making a bad situation worse. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I would never have a rifle without forward assist. On my mini 14 I can always tap the op rod if for some reason it doesn't go fully into battery (it happens). On an AR rifle, there is no op rod to offer you this option, unless you have a forward assist.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would never have a rifle without forward assist. On my mini 14 I can always tap the op rod if for some reason it doesn't go fully into battery (it happens). On an AR rifle, there is no op rod to offer you this option, unless you have a forward assist.

I have been shooting M16s and/or AR15s since 1992 when I went to boot camp.  In that time, I have never once found myself having to use the FA unless I was instructed to.  Any failures I have had were double feeds or no feeds, where the round was not stripped from the magazine.  In either case, the FA was of no use.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the M&P15T, the MSRP is $1159 but you can get one cheaper. Comes with a really nice rail and it's a much better gun
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top