Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:02:24 AM EDT
Not sure if anyone has heard about this but saw it on a news release on MSN Stock quotes (SWB) recent news about the company http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=PR&Date=20060118&ID=5425939&Symbol=US:SWB

Wonder how this one will look. No news on there site that I could find.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=PR&Date=20060118&ID=5425939&Symbol=US:SWB

Smith & Wesson Enters Long-Gun Market with M&P15 Rifles

PRNewswire
All PRNewswire News

Company Expands Military & Police Series With Rifles Designed for Law Enforcement, Military, and Sporting Shooters

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Jan. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation SWB, parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary, 154-year old, global provider of products and services for safety, security, protection and sport, announced its initial entry into the market for tactical rifles and will begin shipments in early February of the Smith & Wesson M&P15 Rifle and the Smith & Wesson M&P15T Rifle. These tactical rifles are additions to the Company's Military & Police (M&P) series of firearms specifically engineered to meet the needs of global military and police personnel, as well as sporting shooters.

Michael F. Golden, Smith & Wesson's President and CEO, said, "We are entering the $1 billion market for long guns with products that provide the exceptional functionality and reliability that Smith & Wesson customers have come to expect. We believe the features of these tactical rifles make them strong contenders in the military and law enforcement markets. We also believe that our M&P rifle series fills a tremendous gap in the marketplace by delivering high-quality, feature-rich tactical rifles that will be readily available in commercial channels. As a company that stands for safety, security, protection and sport, the Smith & Wesson brand and reputation have earned a position for us in that market. The M&P15 rifle series is produced entirely in the United States under manufacturing alliances with several American companies."

The M&P rifle series is based upon a combat-proven design and incorporates a full set of standard features currently unmatched in other AR-15-type tactical rifles. Both the M&P15 and the M&P15T (with its high-end accessory package) are rugged, lightweight, semi-automatic rifles. Both are chambered in 5.56mm NATO ammunition and are built to perform under a diverse range of conditions. Reliability features of the gas-operated rifles include a chrome-lined gas key, bolt carrier and barrel. Both the M&P15 and the M&P15T are designed to accommodate a variety of shooters and shooting positions through the use of a six-position adjustable stock.

The M&P15 incorporates a traditional AR-15 design featuring a removable carry-handle and adjustable rear and front post sights, allowing for quick target acquisition and convenient handling. The black anodized rifle measures 35 inches in length when fully extended and has an unloaded weight of 6.74 pounds.

The M&P15T, with its high-end accessory package, features folding front and rear battle sights and a four-sided equipment rail system that allows the addition of accessories, such as lights, laser-aiming devices, and vertical grips. The rifle measures 35 inches in length when fully extended and has an unloaded weight of 6.85 pounds.

The M&P15 and M&P15T join a comprehensive family of Smith & Wesson products designed and manufactured to meet the needs of law enforcement professionals. Other products include a full-line of Smith & Wesson's world-renowned revolvers used for primary duty and backup side arms, the recently announced M&P series of polymer pistols designed specifically for law enforcement and military use, and a wide range of handcuffs, restraint products and tactical vision devices.

Both the M&P15 and the M&P15T will be unveiled at SHOT Show 2006, February 9-12 at the Las Vegas, Nevada Convention Center. The Company expects that editorial coverage in multiple industry publications will occur beginning with that event. Initial shipments of both rifles are expected to begin concurrent with SHOT Show and will be distributed initially to law enforcement agencies for test and evaluation and to the sporting goods distribution channel. The M&P15 will carry a suggested retail price of $1,200, while the M&P15T will retail for $1,700.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I love Smith and Wesson. However, unless they can do something EXTRAORDINARILY better than ABC&R, I dont see the attraction. What I can see happening is competitive bidding for large contracts, given their immense market share. This company dwarfs any other compnay manufacturing AR pattern rifles, and can use this to their advantage, if they choose to do so.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I love Smith and Wesson. However, unless they can do something EXTRAORDINARILY better than ABC&R, I dont see the attraction. What I can see happening is competitive bidding for large contracts, given their immense market share. This company dwarfs any other compnay manufacturing AR pattern rifles, and can use this to their advantage, if they choose to do so.

The fact is, although I'm happy to see another AR enter the field, that I can build an AR as good as a factory built rifle, for a hell of alot less..

Good luck to S&W..I hope they find sucess..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
this thread is worthless without pics...

I'm also curious as to what a firearms giant such as S&W can bring to the table.  

hopefully we'll see more innovation than chromelined gas keys.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Competition is good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I would like to see what they can come up with as far as innovations. I hope it isnt just going to be a (yawnnnn) clone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't find a picture, but pricing has been released here
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like a REMINGTON AR15 as well.

Shucks!  A Winchester would be tight too!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
For those prices, give me an SLR15(Sully rifle) anyday.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#10]
This will do a lot of good. Think for a second, about those who are not part of internet firearms communites. They recognize names, and EVERYONE knows that if theres a problems, S&W makes it right %110, they fight to keep their customers.

The other thing they are offering, which will be VERY appealing to LE, is a COMPLETE AR setup that as a railed fore-end, and BUIS, just add optics. Who else does that, and for what they will be paying? I don't think there is a company out there that offers a complete rifle, and has the power to back it up %100.

I also think S&W will demand the best quality parts for their rifles.

Everyone said S&W was just jumping on the bandwagon with their 1911, but they offered something no one else did at a price no one else could match, and it seems to me that they are well on the way to doing it again with their AR15.

ETA: MSRP means nothing.. look at how much a NEW Bushy really costs you compared to their MSRP
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would like a REMINGTON AR15 as well.

Shucks!  A Winchester would be tight too!

you did know that Remington produced an AR10 variant for a government contract.  I don't think they got it, but the rifle was made...looked kind of like the DPMS AR10 (forward assist on the shell deflector)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The M&P15T, with its high-end accessory package, features folding front and rear battle sights and a four-sided equipment rail system that allows the addition of accessories, such as lights, laser-aiming devices, and vertical grips. The rifle measures 35 inches in length when fully extended and has an unloaded weight of 6.85 pounds

do you happen to know if the above-mentioned items are sub-contracted out or produced in-house?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck those prices, are they on crack? $1200 for a standard model and $1700 for one with a rail system with folding sights? WTF??

Sorry I hope they drown in the market. When the figure out how to release a compact 1911 then maybe I'll consider them but who can forget what they pulled during the Clinton regime.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Fuck those prices, are they on crack? $1200 for a standard model and $1700 for one with a rail system with folding sights? WTF??

Sorry I hope they drown in the market. When the figure out how to release a compact 1911 then maybe I'll consider them but who can forget what they pulled during the Clinton regime.

I'LL BUY ONE MY FRIENDS A DEALER  AND SELLS TO ME AT COST   PROBABLY UNDER 1OOO.   !!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Smith and Wesson is VERY LE friendly.  They have a great purchase program for LEOs that I have used in the past and it works well.  

I went to one of their armorer schools (free of charge thanks to them) and I can tell you, they have some outstanding capabilities.  They make parts and components for a ton of other makers.  They are the Sub for a lot of Aluminum parts used throughout the firearms industry.  

Remember, Smith just changed hands a few years back and the previous owners invsted a ton of money into new machines and tools that have enabled Smith to make very high quality parts right there in house.  Plus, they have the ability to do certain finished (Melonite, etc.) that others can not.  

All in all, I think Smith has the ability to make one of the best ARs on the market...what remains to be seen is how close to Spec it is...  What they know as far as the TDP and how closely they follow it.  We probably won't know for at least a year or until someone gets a serious round count through several models.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]

i will never get one though....to much $$$s for too little to gain
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Competition is good.

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:I'm also curious as to what a firearms giant such as S&W can bring to the table.  
How about quality?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Found this. Looks pretty good!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Get a clue.  MSRPs mean absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I will own one.  I am a hardcore S&W fan.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if it will have correct feed ramps...  And a M-16 carrier.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Found this. Looks pretty good!! href=i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/charnmike/8320bd65.jpg

This appears to be photoshop of a Colt.  Do you have a source for this image?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Judging by the non mil-spec 16" barrel on their M4A3 I would say that would be a toss up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Finaly parts and accessories closer to home.Now Bushmaster should start making 1911s.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:I'm also curious as to what a firearms giant such as S&W can bring to the table.  
How about quality?

Considering how CMT is making them I'd say it's pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I think its great that S&W is entering the AR15 arena. They did great things for the 1911 design so hopefully they will apply the same improvements to the AR. Smith & Wesson still has a corner of the LE market, granted not as much as years past, but they still do okay. The new M&P pistol is amazing. I had a chance to shoot one of these and its one of the nicest pistols I have ever shot.
Smith and Wesson entering the AR market reminds me of their attempt at making shotguns. S&W shotguns were of good quality, however they were unable to de-thrown the 870. I wonder if they will face the same tribulations with thier AR's as they did with thier shotguns. I wish them the best of luck and hope they have great success. The more companies that make EBR's, especially large and well connected manufactures like Smith and Wesson, gives us more firepower to fight senseless gun bans....not literally you psycho's. Smith and Wesson has a lousy record when it comes to fighting for our rights, but if they are making a shit ton of money selling AR's they aren't going to quit without a fight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I like my RRA, but I would consider a Smithy AR15. I dont really have a reason not to, but I just dont see what, if anything new, they can bring to an already saturated market.

I would have been more impressed if they picked up some HK, SIG, Steyr, or Giat tooling and put out something...anything, other than an AR15

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Why would they pick an either inferior, or grossly expensive design, over a proven, popular, and affordable platform?

The Smith AR sounds good. I think, with their massive manufacturing and marketing machhne, they will be a massive player in the LE contract market.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Yawn.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Tagged for curiousity, but I am not interested in one.

My next AR's will have piston uppers.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Who cares?  Neither is necessary for semi automatic operation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:Smith and Wesson entering the AR market reminds me of their attempt at making shotguns. S&W shotguns were of good quality, however they were unable to de-thrown the 870..

With the popularity of carbines in police cars growing, and the fact that this rifle is not intended for the Elmer Fudd crowd, I think things will turn out differently.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who cares?  Neither is necessary for semi automatic operation.

WRONG
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I, for one, could care less about the feed ramps, barrel profile, carrier, etc, if its reliable.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
.... The M&P15 will carry a suggested retail price of $1,200, while the M&P15T will retail for $1,700.

What are they thinking?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#40]
They better not have keylocks or mag safety disconnects or any other silly PC bullcrap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Very interesting..........
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quality rail system - $250 - $300.
Quality flip up front and rear sights - $240 - $300.

The $1700 is MSRP which translates to a rifle that's fully decked out for probably $1300 - $1500. If you can whine about that I'm surprised you're not devoting your life to trashing the Bushmaster Modular Carbine, which uses entry level low grade parts for a very similar price.

If they are in fact using high grade rail systems and sights, it's not a bad deal. I just wonder what company they're using. My guess would be that they're using the same company for both the rail system and the sights.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd only buy it if it came out in a bullpup design. Bullpups friggen rule!!!! 21" barrels and the same length as a standard M4gery.

Or if it has a gas piston system, FF tactical rails with increased upper receiver height, etc.

If not, I'll just yawn at another non-innovative, old (but proven) AR design that is probably way overpriced and prone to the same old issues.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#44]
With Bravo Company USA offering Colt quality rifles at affordable prices, I don't see why someone would opt for an S&W AR-15.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Makes me wonder what Glock would do with an AR
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#46]
A Glock AR might be cool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The M&P15T, with its high-end accessory package, features folding front and rear battle sights and a four-sided equipment rail system that allows the addition of accessories, such as lights, laser-aiming devices, and vertical grips. The rifle measures 35 inches in length when fully extended and has an unloaded weight of 6.85 pounds

BCM?
MI rails and sights (rear buis)?

Anymore hints?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Troy rails.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Troy rails.

Troy was my first guess as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm in for one

I don't see a logical reason for all the bitching an moaning thats going on. Another American manufacturer wants to jump on the bandwagon of making quality "black rifles" for us to enjoy.

What's not to like? Granted if these turn out to be complete POS's then bitch away. But until you have one in your physical possession for a complete and thourough examination STFU
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top