Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/7/2006 1:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 7:13:38 PM EDT by gcpd19]
Just received it at work, first initial impression, it is shit hot. I'm at work at the moment, I will get pic's and a small review up later.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:08:39 PM EDT
is there any play at all, when the sight is erected? Or is it rock solid?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:02:08 PM EDT
got mine today as well, will put it on later tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 7:24:16 PM EDT by gcpd19]
Ok, say what you want about the Samson Mfg. Vs. Troy debate. My personal opinion is I like the Samson product line. Scott Samson and his team have great customer service and are very fast in getting items to me.

With that being said, his newest product arrived at work today. I have been looking forward to this for some time. I know there are many rail mounted flip up front sights on the market, and many will say its a copy of others, it may be, but it has many vast improvements. First thing I really liked was the use of an actual A2 front sight post. Fit and finish are typical Samson quality, it is very tight, and no play in the up or down position. The addition of a spring loaded flip up is in my opinion an nice addition to what is on the market. The oversized button to activate the sight is easy to find and does not require a large amount of pressure. It is quick to activate and there is no worries about it being locked into the upright position.

Now, for those who do not like the rail mounted stuff, Scott advised me he also has a barrel mounted flip up sight that he is introducing at the Shot Show.

Up position:

Down position:

Better view of the spring:

View of the A2 sight post:

And yes my camera sucks......
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:11:48 AM EDT
Call me a geek if you want, but that first picture reminded me of something...

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
Well I will just have to go pay Scott a visit tomorrow and check it out in person. Looks good although I would like to see the spring a bit more enclosed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 9:33:50 PM EDT by wyv3rn]
You would think enclosing it might be good to keep dirt out. But I've noticed often times designs intended to keep dirt out really don't. There's no way to completely enclose the spring (ie. walled off from all foreign object entry, not a single tiny hole) and have the sight still function. Dirt inevitably somehow works its way in there and the design meant to keep the dirt out actually ends up trapping it in and causes problems. The lack of enclosure for the spring will might be a good thing. Dirt or small debris (pebbles, etc.) that might get in there are more likely to fall out on their own.
Top Top