Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2005 12:47:50 PM EDT
I ordered one of the Sabre uppers with the Sampson floating handgaurd. I just found out that theyare a clamp on arrangement, which seems "clamp on ish" to me.

Are they good tubes...as strong as the others?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:55:23 PM EDT
Most all clamp on and they will be as good as any and better than others.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:38:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:56:11 PM EDT
they are good FFs
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:31:24 PM EDT
I have two, a midlength 9" and a rifle length 12" with my own custom engraving.

They're high quality and similar to Troy FF but slightly heavier than other types of one piece FFs.

I decided on getting the two piece type because I didn't want to take apart my uppers.

The installation is very easy, just remove the delta ring assy and bolt it on.

I had them for my sporting guns but I'll get the single piece type next time for my SHTF weapons.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:35:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:

Originally Posted By DougH9:
I ordered one of the Sabre uppers with the Sampson floating handgaurd. I just found out that theyare a clamp on arrangement, which seems "clamp on ish" to me.

Are they good tubes...as strong as the others?

2 piece FF rail are not as strong as 1 piece FF rails, but should serve your needs.

C4

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:45:30 AM EDT
You won't be dissapointed, I have been very pleased with mine on a 14.5" Bushmaster.
It is incredibly solid, absolutely no play in it at all using it with a Dieter forward grip.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:20:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 7:31:09 AM EDT by mongo001]

Originally Posted By edwin907:
You won't be dissapointed, I have been very pleased with mine on a 14.5" Bushmaster.
It is incredibly solid, absolutely no play in it at all using it with a Dieter forward grip.

Keep in mind that the older Troy versions, of which there are a decent number floating around, would "eject" their lower half when enough pressure was applied to a FVG. The newer ones have this issue solved. A note to keep in mind if/when you decide to buy used.

BTW, there isn't a single "rock solid" rail system out there. They move, although very little, but they will move if you apply enough pressure to them. Movement in the thousandths can significantly affect any optics mounted on the rail systems. How do I know: I hung a 45lb dumbell off a couple of rail systems and got movement in the 0.040" range.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:46:18 AM EDT
I thank you all for the information. This is my first small bore AR; looking foward to getting it together.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 2:51:58 PM EDT by new-arguy]
nothing to see here
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 2:52:45 PM EDT by new-arguy]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:36:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mongo001:
...SNIPPED...
BTW, there isn't a single "rock solid" rail system out there. They move, although very little, but they will move if you apply enough pressure to them. Movement in the thousandths can significantly affect any optics mounted on the rail systems. How do I know: I hung a 45lb dumbell off a couple of rail systems and got movement in the 0.040" range.

I've seen your post on this experiment but I also wondered about torsional loads both clockwise and counterclockwise directions.

I would guess that the counterclockwise torque weight of about 30 to 80+ ft/ lbs. would move the barrel nut (if the design doesn't have a locking tab located in front of the upper receiver).

Also in a torque test the systems like the SIR, KAC RAS II and Vltor, with the clamping top rail design, should do better than the types without it like the Samson/ Troy and the other one piece design FF tubes.

These are just my opinions and would like to know other opinions (just brainstorming here).
Top Top