Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2004 3:35:40 PM EDT
Hello everyone. Currently I own a Bushmaster M4 Carbine (Post Ban), with the following attachments:
-Aimpoint Comp ML2
-Laure Aimpoint Mount, with throw lever
-Samco M33
-MP5k style forward Grip

This is my first AR-15 and only one. Currently the M33 is nice, but it seems like it is loose, becuase I can grip the forward grip and "twist and pull" the two heatseheilds apart. As you can imagine this can wreak havoc on my accuracy. I am wondering if the Knights RAS system would be the cure for this problem. Being young with little funds, the $400 for panels, rails, and grip seems a bit steep. I am wondering what are the advantages to the RAS? However, like the Aimpoint/Tacpoint, you get what you pay for :).  Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at Yankee Himm Machince products. Not as high speed, but quality at 1/3 the price.
YHM.Net
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The YHM's appear to be free floater's which I really dont want. The m73 looks nice but is it up to knights quality as far as stabitlity. Can you mount optics on it and use standard rail panals? The pictures show plastic inserts filling the rail gaps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The YHM's appear to be free floater's which I really dont want. The m73 looks nice but is it up to knights quality as far as stabitlity. Can you mount optics on it and use standard rail panals? The pictures show plastic inserts filling the rail gaps.

YHM  makes both FF and ones that attach via the delta ring.  For the cost the YHM is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Why do you NOT want a FF unit? The non FF units are easier to install. The advantages end there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why do you NOT want a FF unit? The non FF units are easier to install. The advantages end there.

I cannot fit a FF over my Y-comp.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
+1  for YHM handguard, upper hanguard is rock solid,  I also use Aimpoint.

TG
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cannot fit a FF over my Y-comp.

Then the FF unit would be a good excuse to cut that  loud SOB off and get a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll put another vote for the Surefire M73. Its solid as a rock at $150.00, you just can't beat the price for the performance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys talk about the M73. Have you used it with any optics? I know it is not FF and I was recommended to get the Troy instead but I am still curious and want to know about the usage with optics.

moxnix228, where did you get the M73 for that price???
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought it off of the EE. I see them for that price on the EE from time to time. Grant sells new one for a little more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Were I to build my M4 over again today, Id go with the Surefire M73.

Same quality, MUCH lower price.

+1  My current entry gun is a LMT upper with the Surfire rail system.  Im very happy with it.  It did come loose after about 4 mags dumped full auto, but its my fault for not locktighting the screws like they recommend.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]

from BravoCompanyUSA

I think they have them threw the EE for a few bucks less.

I have them, and they are very nice and sturdy.
I am going to use an AIMPOINT, so I suspect I can mount it without any problems.
They index off the barrel nut, and the front handgaurd cap.
It is a very positive mechanical indexing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
try this

this is what i have. it isnt a free float & it didnt cost $400. mine works great. much better than the firstsamco
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
try this

this is what i have. it isnt a free float & it didnt cost $400. mine works great. much better than the firstsamco

Same as what I posted... just more expensive.
Notice Bushmaster's stock # YHM-xxxx
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The KAC RAS is still a very nice set up, and the standard at which all non FF's are measured by and now ther's a lot of shooters who are dumping them to pick up all the latest and greatest, laRue/Surefire/ YHM,etc you can pick up nice units for around $200 bucks on several Equiptment exchange boards.
And a Free float on a Carbine is not really gonna make ya that much better of a shooter. At least not where 90% of us fall into or are really gonna notice., The only  REAL reason to go Free float is if you want to  put your optics out front on your handguards for a repeatable and consistent Zero.

I like being one model year behind everyone else, cause ya still get a good model, but not at the new sticker price
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top