BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2021 6:22:21 PM EDT
This is a safety warning pertaining to Berger’s factory loaded ammunition.

Berger 223 Remington
77 grain OTM Tactical
Part # 65-23030
Lot # P002745-1

While firing this ammunition from one of my Krieger barreled, semi-automatic, precision AR-15s, I experienced an uncharacteristic amount of recoil and muzzle blast.  This occurred with the second round fired from the magazine and there were two bullet holes in the target, so there was no type of bore obstruction involved.  (This AR-15 has functioned flawlessly for over one thousand rounds and has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.)

The action failed to cycle after firing this second round from the magazine and the trigger was dead.  No amount pulling/pounding on the charging handle was able to free-up the bolt carrier group.  As stated above, there were two bullet holes in the target so there was no type of bore instruction involved.

At home, I had to use a mallet and a Delrin rod to pound the bolt, carrier and case out of the barrel extension/upper receiver.  Prior to pounding out the bolt carrier group, I took a quick look in the bore with a cheap borescope.  It was clearly visible that the brass case (Lapua) was still tightly sealed to the walls of the chamber.

Upon examining the spent case, it was clearly visible that the primer pocket was greatly expanded and there was a large amount ejector and extractor brass-flow.  The primer fell out of the bolt face when the case was removed with the pounding-out of the bolt carrier group.

The was a large “belt” of expanded brass just above the extractor groove.  This belt had a diameter of 0.414” at the at the broadest section.  The case was split on either side of the extractor brass flow.  The case rim was split at the ejector brass flow.

I have not yet conducted a damage assessment of my AR15.  A link to this thread has been sent to Berger and I’ll post their reply when I receive it.  Until such time, I urge anyone who has also purchased this ammunition not to use it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Krieger barrel has a 223 Remington chamber with a 1:9" twist. This barrel was purchased directly from Krieger Barrels, Inc. and was chambered by them. I've fired over a thousand trouble-free rounds through this barrel. The box label for this Berger ammunition clearly states that this is 223 Remington ammunition.

Using a bullet pulled from this lot of ammunition, I determined the cartridge overall length that would be necessary for the bullet to be seated to the lands of this barrel.  That distance was 2.322" and since the factory loaded ammunition was loaded to magazine length, the bullet was nowhere near the lands of my barrel.

Shortly before shooting this Berger factory loaded ammunition, I fired a 10-shot group of factory loaded Sierra Prairie Enemy 55 grain BlitzKings. That group had an extreme spread of 0.72 MOA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The blown case has a weight of 99.0 grains. The neck diameter of this case is 0.254”. The diameter of the “belt” above the extractor groove is 0.414” at the broadest section.

The diameter of the case rim across the extractor and ejector brass flow is 0.423” and the diameter of the case rim rotated to 90 degrees of that position is 0.382”. The primer pocket has a diameter of approximately 0.222” at the broadest section.

I pulled-down 20 of the unfired cartridges from this lot of ammunition. Here’s the compiled data.

You can see a larger view of the above data sheet here.

Pulled-down powder charge weights . . .

I pulled-down a couple more rounds after compiling the above data and found a round with a charge of 23.6 grains.  The puts the powder charge variation at 1.8 grains.

This ammunition is a heavily compressed load, so bullet set-back is highly improbable.  Since it was a compressed load, I was unable to use my custom K&M compression gauge to obtain an accurate measure of neck tension, however, it required quite a bit of force to pull the bullets from the cases using a press-mounted, collet bullet-puller.  Also, using the custom K&M compression gauge, I applied 90 pounds of force to one of the factory-loaded cartridges that had a cartridge overall length of 2.253".  After applying the 90 pounds of force, I again measured the COAL.  It was still 2.253".

Pulled-down powder . . .

28.6 grains of this pulled-down powder filled a randomly selected pulled-down case to the case mouth.  The longest cartridge overall length that I measured from this lot of factory loaded ammunition was 2.262".  I was able to load 26.0 grains of the pulled-down powder into a pulled-down case and seat a pulled-down bullet to a cartridge overall length of 2.262".

Pulled-down case weights . . .

The case weights past the plus one standard deviation are the heaviest Lapua Match cases that I've ever seen.  (Legacy"standard" Lapua cases did weigh more.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much pressure does it take for the letters on the case-head to "engrave" into the face of the bolt?

(I flipped the image of the bolt-face for easier visual comparison to the blown cartridge head.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update

Berger has reached out to me and offered to replace this ammunition. They also said ".We have had a couple of these reports. But it dosent seem an issue with all of this ammunition."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Berger is sending me a call-tag for the unfired rounds. Berger also stated, "there has been a change in this load between the lot that you have and the lot that we are sending you. The new load was developed in a standard SAAMI 223 Remington chamber."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What did the first round fired brass look like?

Glad you didn't get hurt.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Lapua brass (old lots) were very heavy, made thicker than standard.

You may want to weigh the fired case that survived, minus the primer, to gain a little insight into what went wrong.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow. What's your initial hunch? Big overcharge?

That's a gnarly looking primer pocket and piece of brass, glad you are OK. Is the bolt any worse for wear?
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF is wrong with that picture?  How about the super sized flash hole!

Paladin
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My 185g Berger 308 loads are hot but not that hot!
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at that brass flow. Glad you're alright and I look forward to the update from Berger.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Updated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Berger is sending me a call-tag for the unfired rounds. Berger also stated, "there has been a change in this load between the lot that you have and the lot that we are sending you. The new load was developed in a standard SAAMI 223 Remington chamber."
View Quote

I am not an interior ballistics guru, but Berger's comment implies the load you have wasn't developed in a standard SAAMI .223 Remington chamber.  If so, then what would it have been developed in??

Also: are they gonna replace your bolt, now that you basically shot a proof round with it thanks to their error?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am not an interior ballistics guru, but Berger's comment implies the load you have wasn't developed in a standard SAAMI .223 Remington chamber.  If so, then what would it have been developed in??

Also: are they gonna replace your bolt, now that you basically shot a proof round with it thanks to their error?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I damn well sure wouldn't trust that bolt again at the least.

That is 100% a overloaded/incorrect powder type ammunition issue.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#11]
A 1.4 grain powder charge spread does not seem very "match" to me but my handloaded 77 TMK runs 23.2 grains of 8208 XBR in a Lapua case... so at the limit but not crazy.

Then again if you can see a 1.4 grain spread in the remaining ammo, no telling what that over charge was in the failed round. I'm guessing another full grain more powder or somehow a much faster powder was not cleared from the equipment on the initial loading run and you have some too fast powder mixed with an overcharge. What does the powder you pulled look like? You can't really fit too much more of anything but a small grain ball powder without it being stupid compressed.

I'm guessing that was at least SOME way too fast burning powder in there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What does the powder you pulled look like? You can't really fit too much more of anything but a small grain ball powder without it being stupid compressed.
View Quote

Berger pulled-down powder.

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Does every single grain look like that? Every kernel is a short cut extruded? If so, that would mean the ENTIRE lot of powder they are using is too fast and that is a scary thought... every round could be loaded like your over pressure round.

It looks like they were shooting for a 22.5/22 6 grain loading from the majority of charge weights.

Also 99 grains is a really heavy case. So much less internal volume. Seems really odd for Lapua brass to have that much weight spread. Do you think it is from powder residue? What did the first fired brass that did not fail look like and weigh?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#14]
The variation in the charge weight is stunning to me - my handloads are NEVER that far off. Hell, I don't like being off a tenth of a grain, much less OVER a grain! Match ammo? My left nut!
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I am really surprised the charge weights varied so much. I get better using my 550 and of course even better than that when hand trickling the charge.

Sure glad OP is okay.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
i wonder if one of Berger's 85 grain pills made its way into a lot of 77 grain pills?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 3 cases of the same ammunition but lot number P002745-3, I’ll be a little nervous the first few rounds. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy smokes glad you didn't have a kaboom
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#20]
@molon

Any further update on this?  I'm a little worried as I just purchased 3 cases of this ammunition.  Of course, I saw your thread after doing so.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This occurred with the second round fired from the magazine and there were two bullet holes in the target, so there was no type of bore obstruction involved.
View Quote

Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, you fired two rounds in total and there were two holes in the target from the two shots? Just making sure there wasn't two holes just from this overpressure shot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does every single grain look like that? Every kernel is a short cut extruded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Does every single grain look like that? Every kernel is a short cut extruded?

Yes.

Quoted:
It looks like they were shooting for a 22.5/22 6 grain loading from the majority of charge weights.

Pulled-down powder charges.

Quoted:
Do you think it is from powder residue?

No.

Pulled-down case weights.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How much of the pulled down powder will fit into one of the taken apart cases ?  Even if you needed a drop tube ?
Or maybe a better question, how much powder could be in the case, and then have a bullet seated ?
View Quote

28.6 grains of the pulled-down powder filled the case.

The longest cartridge overall length that I measured from that lot was 2.262".  I was able to load 26.0 grains of the pulled-down powder and seat a bullet to 2.262".

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, that is the craziest brass flow I've ever seen.  

Sorry to hear it happened to your premium build which has given us so many great test results
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Molon. What is your opinion on the charge weight variance? Do you think that is normal or unusually high.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Molon. What is your opinion on the charge weight variance? Do you think that is normal or unusually high.
View Quote

A powder charge variation of 1.5 grains is totally unacceptable for ammunition that is being sold as "match grade" ammunition costing more than $1.60 a round.

For comparison, the factory loaded ASYM 75 grain Tactical OTM ammunition that I evaluated had a powder charge variation of less than half of the Berger ammunition; 0.6 grains.

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
So today I get this from the retailer where I bought my berger ammo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#29]
This entire load has been a rough ride for Berger, and not Emil's happiest moment.  I have every confidence they will get it right.  I just can't tell what lot numbers just yet.

Link Posted: 8/18/2021 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So today I get this from the retailer where I bought my berger ammo.

View Quote

Berger Issues Safety Notice for 223 Remington 77 Grain OTM Tactical Ammunition Lot 2745

Home/Berger/Berger Issues Safety Notice for 223 Remington 77 Grain OTM Tactical Ammunition Lot 2745

Published On: August 18th, 2021Categories: Berger

Mesa, AZ – Berger’s Load Development Team has determined that some 223 Remington 77 Grain OTM Tactical (Product # 65-23030) cartridges from Lot # P002745, P002745-1, P002745-2 & P002745-3 may cause function/ignition issues with AR-style gas operating platforms. Bolt action rifles are not affected.

Berger Ammunition Lot # P002745, P002745-1, P002745-2 & P002745-3 223 Remington 77 Grain OTM Tactical ammunition, Item #65-23030 was shipped to retailers on April 2nd, 2021 to April 22nd, 2021.

If you own ammunition from Lot # P002745, P002745-1, P002745-2 & P002745-3 or have questions regarding this notice, please contact Berger Customer Support at 660-460-2802 or [email protected] to arrange replacement of the product.

Link Posted: 8/18/2021 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This entire load has been a rough ride for Berger,
View Quote

Riiiight, because a round of their ammunition blowing-out in my expensive Krieger barreled precision AR-15 has been such a joy ride for me.

Quoted:
I have every confidence they will get it right.
View Quote

Berger should have "gotten it right" before they released this ammunition for sale to the public.

Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#32]
@Molon
Have they replaced your ammo yet?  I spoke with them today and they made it seem like it would take a while.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#33]
New guy on the Q.C.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
…may cause function/ignition issues with AR-style gas operating platforms. Bolt action rifles are not affected.
View Quote
I wonder how they figure this is only a problem for AR’s???
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@Molon
Have they replaced your ammo yet?  I spoke with them today and they made it seem like it would take a while.
View Quote

I think I'm going to send mine to an independent lab for pressure testing.  Anyone have a recommendation for a reputable lab?

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#36]
My old company used Barnes Bullets' lab in Mena, Utah for EPVAT testing for a few federal and export contracts.  Impeccable, but pricey, though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
im gonna guess Berger doesn't know who you are and the influence you have over thousands of potential customers.
i don't know how many people follow your write ups but i have been for many years on this forum and others.
Berger needs to be kissing your butt right now and replacing your weapon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Was it touching the lands?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Sorry to hear of your issues OP. Why are A-P-U-A oriented in the same fashion as the case? Shouldn't they be reversed on the bolt face, like a mirror image?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why are A-P-U-A oriented in the same fashion as the case? Shouldn't they be reversed on the bolt face, like a mirror image?
View Quote

I flipped the image of the bolt-face for easier visual comparison to the blown case head.

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an AR that has a gas block that can be turned off and run like a bolt action.  If I do so, I can run much hotter loads without blowing primers, but as soon as the gas is turned on all hell breaks loose.  Popped primers, ejector swipes and extractor marks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rep from Capstone said that this ammo isn't over-pressured, just that the pressure curve is off and it won't cycle all gas operated rifles. However, we have Molon's AR damn near kaboomed by this ammunition. It seems odd to me that they would mass recall it simply from a lack of function in ARs. The half box I fired functioned perfectly fine in my service rifle. I think there is more of an issue than Capstone wants to admit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A powder charge variation of 1.5 grains is totally unacceptable for ammunition that is being sold as "match grade" ammunition costing more than $1.60 a round.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/berger_match_grade_box_01-2054008.jpg

For comparison, the factory loaded ASYM 75 grain Tactical OTM ammunition that I evaluated had a powder charge variation of less than half of the Berger ammunition; 0.6 grains.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/berger_match_grade_box_01-2054008.jpg

I pulled-down a couple more rounds since I compiled the data in the original post and found a round with a powder charge of 23.6 grains.  That puts the powder charge variation at 1.8 grains.

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#44]
As I stated in the original post, this ammunition is a heavily compressed load, so bullet set-back is highly improbable.  Since it was a compressed load, I was unable to use my custom K&M compression gauge to obtain an accurate measure of neck tension, however, it required quite a bit of force to pull the bullets from the cases using a press-mounted, collet bullet-puller.  

Using the custom K&M compression gauge, I applied 90 pounds of force to one of the factory-loaded cartridges that had a cartridge overall length of 2.253".  After applying the 90 pounds of force, I again measured the COAL.  It was still 2.253".

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#45]
@Molon what about your rifle? Damaged? Is Berger going to foot the cost if it is? Then again... the cost of that barrel and it's purpose... should it be replaced anyway?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Molon what about your rifle? Damaged? Is Berger going to foot the cost if it is? Then again... the cost of that barrel and it's purpose... should it be replaced anyway?
View Quote

I haven’t had a chance to do a thorough damage assessment of the rifle yet.  I’m in the middle of several different projects and this incident has really screwed-up my summer testing schedule.

Berger has not stated one single word of interest about my barrel/rifle.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I haven’t had a chance to do a thorough damage assessment of the rifle yet.  I’m in the middle of several different projects and this incident has really screwed-up my summer testing schedule.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Landing themselves in the same category as Hornady/Frontier not taking care of the end user
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow.  Just wow.

I have to assume that the “engraving” in your bolt face isn’t just an artifact of the soot from the blown primer.  Ewwww.  And as others have mentioned, that’s a HUGE flash hole.  Wow.

Once YOU assess your rifle, including photos of your borescope inspection of both the chamber and bore, I wonder if Krieger would assess the barrel.  From the way I read their website, they may be game.  If the manufacturer of a precision barrel says “it needs to be replaced because…” that should carry more weight than a consumer’s statements.

Was the bolt matched to the barrel by Krieger?  That’s another point to document.

To me, not only should the bolt be replaced, but you might find issues with the upper receiver itself, and maybe the gas block.  Be as detail-oriented with your inspection as you are with your other measurements, and document the snot out of everything.

Once you have the whole thing reviewed and documented, let Berger know how much $ you’re out for that one bad round.

Good luck with this whole thing.  I hope, with Berger issuing a public warning about these lots of ammunition, they will actually do the right thing for you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Berger/Capstone customer service has been meh handling their recall as well. Told me it would be November if not later before they replace my ammo and told me to pound sand when I objected to having almost 1k tied up in a product that I don't have for that long.  Not impressed and think I will steer clear of their products in the future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top