Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/20/2009 2:36:18 PM EST
Ammunition To go had excelent service and sent me out 2 new boxed no cost, here are the pics (They packed the hell outa this shippment and put it in a ammo can too)
also the brass and primers look much nicer.
All is well thanks ATG and I will order more of this stuff.

Normally this would not even cross my mind but since its my first go with frangible sinterfire loaded ammo I'm going to ask the knowledge pool. I just got in some ZGQ3302 Winchester NATO 5.56 Frangible and when I took a look at it most all of the bullets are seated to different depths, its that normal on this ammo (I assume not) and also the primers look odd and discolored, anyway here are some pics...

Got this in my in box today GREAT SERVICE!

"Customer contacted us by e-mail about some issues with the frangible rounds. We will be sending out 2 boxes of frangible, today. no charge. -carie"

Thanks ATG hope the new ones are GTG will update when they come in.

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:49:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:51:58 PM EST
Return
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:52:52 PM EST
i wouldnt' shoot those.  they look like reloads ... and if you didn't reload them then who knows what will happen when you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:53:14 PM EST
Looks like a retarded monkey loaded that shit. Do NOT shoot it. You might pull it down and reload it though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:19:59 PM EST
Worst case - Your gun will explode and take your face off.
Best case - You might not suffer long when it happens.

Obvious reloads, the headstamps are all different.  Looks like the reloader failed to crimp the bullets and then used the box as a wheel chock.  Looks like he also used cheap fingernail polish to attempt to seal the primers.  Then he looked for a sucker to buy his crap off him.

Send it back.

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:20:02 PM EST
That is a failure to launch, abort mission, it's a no go....
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:20:44 PM EST
Just wrote a e-mail with the pics included to the place I bought it from will update the thread when/if I hear back from them on a return/replace

Thanks for the comments, I'm not a reloader (yet) but it didn't look good to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:47:21 PM EST
pubic hair in the carpet....NICE
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:18:38 PM EST
Quoted:

AHAHAH good lord, someone had to say it ahaha.

Yeah dude, that does look rather bad.  I honestly didn't think frangible bullet tips were readily available for reloads though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 5:26:08 PM EST
If at all possible return this ammo.  If not possible, dispose of it.  It is simply not worth the risk.

Oh yea, nice hair fragments
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 5:38:37 PM EST
Why would you dispose of it, why wouldn't you pull them for components.  The powder and brass must be good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 5:41:45 PM EST
Quoted:

yeah yeah... dogs

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 5:50:54 PM EST
Where did you buy it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 5:52:09 PM EST
Was this sold as new FACTORY ammo or reloaded ammo? If new, thats some nasty crap and dangerous to boot. It does seem to be all 08 dated brass.

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:23:30 PM EST
Quoted:
Was this sold as new FACTORY ammo or reloaded ammo? If new, thats some nasty crap and dangerous to boot. It does seem to be all 08 dated brass.

Seams to be sold as factory new Winchester mil run ammo.... here is were I got it 5.56 Frangible and like I said e-mail sent to them. they have been good to me in the past so hopefully they will correct the situation here. also I got 2 20rnd boxes and ther are both just like this... all messed up depth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:31:57 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seams to be sold as factory new Winchester mil run ammo.... here is were I got it 5.56 Frangible and like I said e-mail sent to them. they have been good to me in the past so hopefully they will correct the situation here. also I got 2 20rnd boxes and ther are both just like this... all messed up depth.

I've never heard of those guys selling stuff that wasn't legit on purpose. Send them an email with the pics(minus pubes) and hopefully they'll take care of you.

I have ordered quite a bit of ammo from them and never had an issue so I'm not sure what to expect with their customer service.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:36:50 PM EST
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard of those guys selling stuff that wasn't legit on purpose. Send them an email with the pics(minus pubes) and hopefully they'll take care of you.

I have ordered quite a bit of ammo from them and never had an issue so I'm not sure what to expect with their customer service.

Yeah I have had the same positive experience with them so will update the post with the outcome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 7:06:19 PM EST
Again, send it back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 7:32:39 PM EST
RETURN!
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 7:34:12 PM EST
Quoted:
Why would you dispose of it, why wouldn't you pull them for components.  The powder and brass must be good.

Yeah, unless Boy Genius used Bullseye. The only thing I would use are the projectiles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 9:16:10 PM EST
what exactly is the use for these rounds since they break down when hitting something, is it for home defense so it wont penetrate walls?
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 9:43:39 PM EST
Quoted:
what exactly is the use for these rounds since they break down when hitting something, is it for home defense so it wont penetrate walls?

I would wager that frangibles are still going to penetrate standard home construction without breaking up at all and remain very lethal on the other side.

I believe they are used sometimes in training, for example shooting steel at shorter ranges, so as to prevent backsplash you might get with FMJ.  I haven't personally done this but I did take a class where there was a question if we needed to bring frangible ammo, and they told me that was for the advanced class and FMJ was fine for our basic carbine class.  ETA: We did shoot steel but at a minimum of 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:20:04 AM EST

FAIL!
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:37:03 AM EST
Pubes?  I think not...

Bet it's a Black Lab.  Got one sitting in the couch right next to me as we speak.

It's the price we pay.  Their hair gets absolutely everywhere, even in closed drawers....

That color and style of carpet doesn't help things.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:47:45 AM EST
Wow, a drunken monkey was abusing a reloading press!

Heck, if my reloads would look just remotely like that I'd have sold all of my reloading equipment a long time ago because of a total absence of any motor skill on my part..... *shakes head*

Unbelievable!
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 1:04:09 PM EST
bad juju, but I am intruiged by the bullets themselves, I have never personally heard of frangible 5.56......
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 1:36:07 PM EST
Nope ....return
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 1:41:35 PM EST
Why would you even buy that?

ETA:  Sold as factory-new?  Most gun-show reloads are better than that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 2:30:57 PM EST
I'm interested in seeing how ATG responds to this. I bought some cci minimags from them a while back that showed up with few cracked containers, but the ammo was fine. Yours is definately not and you should not shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 3:21:27 PM EST
Is it just me or do the bullets look funny?
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 3:38:49 PM EST
I'd like to thank the poster for posting this. I have thought of buying these same bullets from the same site selling them. After this, I know I won't. I was looking for something that was 5.56 spec and not a full metal jacket (range requirement). I would return it also as everyone else has stated.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 4:55:34 PM EST
Now that I think about it, frangible ammo might be a lot more sensitive than the standard FMJ rounds.  Maybe UPS was kicking around your package and pushed in a few rounds.  I have ordered from Ammotogo before and I have had no damaged bullets (damaged cardboard box, but no damage bullets).  You might have just had bad luck or quite possibly a sensitive type of ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 6:10:33 PM EST
Quoted:
Now that I think about it, frangible ammo might be a lot more sensitive than the standard FMJ rounds.  Maybe UPS was kicking around your package and pushed in a few rounds.  I have ordered from Ammotogo before and I have had no damaged bullets (damaged cardboard box, but no damage bullets).  You might have just had bad luck or quite possibly a sensitive type of ammunition.

Based on that mixed-headstamp abortion alone it would go back as suspect.  Did you call Winchester and and ask about it?  The bullet problem MAY have happened in shipment, but that lot-and sealant crap happened either at the factory or in some retards basement.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 6:11:43 PM EST
Quoted:
I'd like to thank the poster for posting this. I have thought of buying these same bullets from the same site selling them. After this, I know I won't. I was looking for something that was 5.56 spec and not a full metal jacket (range requirement). I would return it also as everyone else has stated.

No steel core?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:31:15 PM EST
Glad they are sending replacements NC!!

FWIW: I would have contacted Winchester and had a talk with them as opposed to the "retailer" since there is no way for Winchester to know that the ammo and/or packaging is flawed.

Quoted:
bad juju, but I am intruiged by the bullets themselves, I have never personally heard of frangible 5.56......

Sorry to change subjects here...but have been a fan of powdered metallurgy for a while...so just have to share.

Called "powdered metal"...NO LEAD. Alloy is made from raw materials...molten alloy dropped into a stream/jet of water. During this process POWDER METAL PARTICLES are created. These particles are then "collected" and pressed under high pressure, the pressed part has almost net/shape size. Depending on lubricants, heating process and a bunch of other stuff you can end of with different degrees of hardness...

One perfect example of "powder metal" parts, self lubricating bushings!!! The bushing is semi-porous (bushing was in powdered form) and the lubricants are added during the manufacturing process.

Many advantages to Powder metal processes. Most complex presses are located in Germany and they make some COOL PARTS!

You will find sintered metal parts are in at least one device that you currently own (from your motorcycle, to the car in your garage and the vacuum cleaner in your closet...and the lawn mower too..)  Some applications also include GUN PARTS, triggers, sears, hammers and the like...

The also make FILTERS using this process...the "metal granules' are much bigger and the pressure applied is not as high, creating a specialized filter.

Before the part is "sintered" (heating-to almost melting point- and cooling process  that can last hours) as I stated before the part is almost net shape...you can pick up the part and the weight,feel is all there in comparison to the finished part, however as soon as you put some pressure on the part it disintegrates.

Most connecting rods in cars and trucks today use this process! (and a host of other parts)
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:37:50 PM EST
I get my TAP from ATG and yet to have any problems. Go to know they will take care of you if there is a problem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:02:13 PM EST
updated first post
Top Top