Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 6:55:09 AM EDT
I just picked up one of those Winchester fireproof safes as Sam's Club.  They are a steal at $581 at my local store.  Problem is the thing weighs 575 lbs.  I couldn't get the thing down in my basement so I plan to leave it in the garage.  

Here is my question:  Is it ok to leave guns in the safe in my unheated garage?  I live in Michigan and the weather varies from 90s in the summer to MUCH colder in the winter.  The safe is not air tight and I plan on purchasing one of those humidity rods.

Thanks for any help!

Jake
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
just coat them w/ more oil for better rust prevent, going on 3 years now in a simular fashion no rust as of yet
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
What you need to watch for is on humid cold days, if the temp rises sharply it can cause condensation on the colder metal on the firearms. That will result in instant rust. billt.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
 If you would like it in your basement, check around at some of the rental places in your area, for a "stair cart".  I know there is a different name for it but, it will walk heavy objects up or down stairs.  Might check with a safe company or a lock smith. They should have access to one, or know someone that has one.

Weazer
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I used an appliance dolly....3 people to help...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used an appliance dolly....3 people to help...

+1  By all means, get the safe down in your basement or at least inside the house.  It is too easy to back up to your garage. open the door, and load your safe.

At least down in the basement, or inside the house, taking it would require more time and effort.  Safes do get stolen, make it as difficult as possible to get to yours.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Remington 17 gun model. Sucker weighs about 650 pounds. Used a furniture dolly and  ratcheting tie downs to hold it on. My cousin (6'4inches 280 and little ole me 6'2 and 180) took it up a flight of stairs into my walk in closet. Ther's something about having all my firearms right in my bedroom closet.Seriously. Get a dolly and get some help and put it where you want it. If you don't you might be sorry later.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Just be careful when going from cold to hot. Think cold coke bottle in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I live in Minnesota, and my safe has been out in the garage for about 16 months now, this is its second winter.

No problems at all
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a product called the "Golden Rod" in my gun safe. The thing controls the humidity inside the safe. Mount it and plug it in and it does its thing. Cabela's, Midway USA and others sell them. Runs about $30.00ish to $60.00 price - I'd recommend it regardless of where your safe is located in your house.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Plus....

Leave it plain sight iin your garage... Criminals will see it and attempt to steal the entire safe if they cant get it open...  

This does happen.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]

These are a couple of inexpensive Stack On's I keep my lesser expensive stuff in. I've got them lag bolted to the studs, and in addition in put 300 pounds of shot, (12 bags), in the base of each one. If they get them pried from the wall, they'll break their backs carrying them out. Insurance statistics show that most home break in's are by kids under 17, and most are in the home for less than 2 minutes. Smash and run types.  billt.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't want my friends getting injured so i hired a moving company for $149 to pick up my safe from the store and then bring it into my basement.Best money i ever spent.If your doing it yourself,get a refrigerator dolly from u haul and 4 of your friends.Mine is bolted to the concrete floor.If you leave it in a garage they can back a pickup to the door and steal it! It gets very cold in the garage in northern climates so this would be a bad idea!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#13]

I paid to have both of these delivered and placed as well. It wasn't that expensive, and well worth it.  billt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
img49.imageshack.us/img49/6585/gunsafes0022an.th.jpg img49.imageshack.us/img49/9664/gunsafes0018hh.th.jpg

I paid to have both of these delivered and placed as well. It wasn't that expensive, and well worth it.  billt.

billt-
I've been looking at the Liberty Safes.  How well do you like yours?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:42:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to pick up a Liberty this week - with my bad back, delivery is worth every cent. :)

I can get a good deal on one too large for my house - I just can't bring myself to think of leaving it in the garage. I don't even like being out there in the winter... too damp and cold and not as secure. I agree that with prep and care, the weapons would be fine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Been said so many times,Not in the garage but if you do leave it open so they leave the safe.
Same theory with autos in bad neighborhoods doors unlocked or they break your windows.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#17]
My safe was 890 lbs and a one other guy and myself took it up 3 stairs and then down 14 to my basement with a Stairclimber dolly.  It used these electric wheels to go up and down stars.  Cost me $200 well worth it.

I was worried that someone would back up a pick up with a few guys and take the safe and all out of my garage.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
racezilla500,

Sorry about the late reply, but I've been entertaining the WORST case of the flu ever since Christmas morning. I'm real happy with my Liberty overall. I do wish I had configured the interior a little differently. Mine is set up with half shelfs, half long gun racks. With hind sight always being 20/20, I now wish I had gone with all racks. It's easy enough to change, and in the future I just may. Liberty makes a nice unit for the price, but I think what is more important is WHO you buy the safe from. Make sure you choose one who will deliver and place the unit. Some of these things can literally weigh a ton and are not easy to move about, unless that is, you happen to discuss it with fellow shooters over a couple of cold cases! Then anythings possible. Another thing I did later was to purchase one of those kits that allows you to store handguns on the inside of the door, otherwise useless space. As I mentioned before the most important thing is to buy the largest model you can possibly afford, so you won't be kicking yourself later.  Bill T.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I also have a Liberty and I would recomend it. Paid some $$$ for delivery, but they put it right where I wanted it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Been said so many times,Not in the garage but if you do leave it open so they leave the safe.
Same theory with autos in bad neighborhoods doors unlocked or they break your windows.

This is one of the dumbest statements that I've ever heard.  Why even get a safe then?  Just leave them laying around the garage.  Do you lock your doors in your house?  Just leave them unlocked because someone might break a window to get in.

Most breakins aren't done by professional thieves.  They are done by drug addicts looking for quick cash.  Most(not all) breakins are done by someone who knew the victim and had been inside the house in the past.  Most thieves will be in the house for only minutes and they won't even try to open a locked safe.  They might try it but when it won't open most thieves will leave looking for easier targets.  I've also seen that most car breakins are done by people who "specialize" in car breakins.  The most common thing that they are looking to steal is the stereo.  I've seen nice cars passed up because they had a stock stereo and crappy cars with nice stereos broken into to get that stereo.  
If you get a safe KEEP IT LOCKED!!  It does you no good if you don't.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I keep both my Liberty safes in the basement. With the two safes bolted to the floor and bolted to each other. I took a Porta-Mag and lag bolted the them to each other in four spots with hardend bolts. Then took a hammer drill and secured them to the basement floor. Each safe is a 36 gun safe. To take care of the "sweat" that might get in the safes I added  dehumidifers and a light that stay on 24/7.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I considered putting a safe in the closet of my bedroom, however, I decided against it. The idea of a 700+ lbs safe sitting upstairs during a fire did not sound good. I could only imagine the thing going trough the floor and crushing some poor fireman. I'll keep mine on the ground floor or the basement.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#23]
They don't even need a pickup truck to steal the safe out of your garage, all they need is a bicycle ...

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My safe was 890 lbs and a one other guy and myself took it up 3 stairs and then down 14 to my basement with a Stairclimber dolly.  It used these electric wheels to go up and down stars.  Cost me $200 well worth it.

I was worried that someone would back up a pick up with a few guys and take the safe and all out of my garage.

Do you have a link to the company who made that particular stairclimber dolly?  I searched on google for stair dollies and all the ones i've found were industrial grade ones that are well over $1,000 in price.

I have the money for a Liberty safe all ready to go, the only thing that has been holding me back is that I have no way of getting it up an entire flight of stairs myself and the place where i'm buying it from said they'll do it for an additional $300 which I found to be ridiculous, when for that price I could buy a dolly and do it myself.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a link to the company who made that particular stairclimber dolly?  I searched on google for stair dollies and all the ones i've found were industrial grade ones that are well over $1,000 in price.

I have the money for a Liberty safe all ready to go, the only thing that has been holding me back is that I have no way of getting it up an entire flight of stairs myself and the place where i'm buying it from said they'll do it for an additional $300 which I found to be ridiculous, when for that price I could buy a dolly and do it myself.

Thanks

Not sure if this is what you want but I found these links,
hand trucks
Another link

Your area may also have a place where you can rent one cheaper than buying it. I'd still plan on a few friends for help even with a hand truck. Most of us have friends that'll help for a few beers (drank after the jobs done).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ummm, if you're going to leave the safe open, ......why even have it, that's just stupid.  Save the $500-1000 and leave them in the closet if you don't want to lock the safe.  

If I misinterpreted what you said or meant you have my apologies.

SoS
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top