Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 1:23:37 PM EDT
I was assembling my lower and installed the roll pin for the trigger guard in the wrong hole and I can't get it out. What can I do? There is about 1/32-1/16" sticking out. I can rotate it, but I can't get enough bite to pull it out. I am thinking of Dremmeling it off and putting a Magpul on
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Heating with what? Propane torch maybe
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was assembling my lower and installed the roll pin for the trigger guard in the wrong hole and I can't get it out. What can I do? There is about 1/32-1/16" sticking out. I can rotate it, but I can't get enough bite to pull it out. I am thinking of Dremmeling it off and putting a Magpul on

Where did it go? Bolt catch?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

where did you end up putting it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you got any tiny taps to tap some threads into the center of the roll pin ?

Plan B.  Take a small sheet metal screw and start it down the pin. Not too large or you will spread the pin and split things.  If the sheet metal screw appears to take hold good then take something like an old flat handled toothbrush, etc and drill a hole in it just large enought for the roll pin to fit through easily.

Put this over the roll pin,  put a flat washer on the sheetmetal screw and carefully thread the screw down the roll pin. Hopefully this will pull the pin up out of the trigger guard. Stop often and check your work and make sure bad things aren't happening.   You may have to stack washers at first because you dont want the screw going very far down the roll pin and spreading it out.  Know anybody that messes with RC planes or cars ?  They will have lots of tiny screws.

rj

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he put it in the front trigger guard hole.

rj
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I put it in the front hole of the trigger guard instead of the back one. I thought I was just having a tough time getting it al the way through.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I did the same thing on my first build.

I just drilled out the roll pin and ran down to Ace Hardware and bought another.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
This isn't my first build I got all giddy when my lower finally got in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
for something a little larger i have used a "dowel pin removal tool"...  it is designed to rotate into position over the pin, engage it in a rotary fashion and grip while you turn and lift it.  they work really well on pieces 3/16" and larger.  i've never used them on something that small, but i know they exist and have heard of them being used.

for something that close to flush, you may have to buy the tool and take it to the grinder to "flatten" its bottom so you can maximize how much you have to clamp on.  

this might be your best bet.

machine shops may have them, or some tool stores carry a stud removal tool you can grind or modify for cheap...

i also thought of hooking a car battery and a pair of jumper cables up to this...  i wouldn't recommend it, but i have hooked a clamp on a metal piece, then used the other clamp latched on a fender washer...  touch the fender washer to the head of the roll pin and it'll weld to it near instantly.  of course you have to be ready to grip the clamp off the washer...  the chances of this working on something this small is about 20% or less.  besides, it might seize or weld the pin in the lower...  like i said, it works well on pieces slightly larger in a more loose hole...  you can then grab a hold of the washer and work it out of the hole...  again, i felt like mentioning it, but don't think it your best option...

septic tank
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours. The aluminum should shrink from freezing a little and then maybe it will come out with a pair of needle nose pliers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I didn't say this was your first build, I said it was my first build.

and some of you are making this overly difficult.

Just get a drill bit that's barely smaller than the roll pin, drill down the center of the pin and it will be so thin on the sides that it will break loose and lock onto the drill bit, then just pull the bit out while it's spinning. Go buy a new roll pin at ACE.

This isn't an engineering final project.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Why can't you just cut it in half with a dremel (carefully), then drive the remaining portion through with your punch?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why can't you just cut it in half with a dremel (carefully), then drive the remaining portion through with your punch?  

There is no "Through", it's blocked on the other side.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no "Through", it's blocked on the other side.

Cut it in half, and pull the half that's not locked up in the reciever out..............then knock the rest through the hole!?!?!?!?

John
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say this was your first build, I said it was my first build.

and some of you are making this overly difficult.

Just get a drill bit that's barely smaller than the roll pin, drill down the center of the pin and it will be so thin on the sides that it will break loose and lock onto the drill bit, then just pull the bit out while it's spinning. Go buy a new roll pin at ACE.

This isn't an engineering final project.

What I was trying to say was I made a bone head mistakeand I should have learned from previous builds, sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

It's amazing how a simple screw up can cause such a headache

I'll try the drill bit, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's amazing how a simple screw up can cause such a headache

I'll try the drill bit, thanks for the help.

That I understand. I was completely excited about building my very first AR, and suddenly I found myself thinking that I was gonna have to wait another few days till I could have a roll pin shipped to me. So just on a lark I checked ACE and found they had tons of roll pins, even the very pin I needed. WOOT!

I'm just trying to make this simple for you since I was in your exact position and had it fixed in about 40 minutes (20 minutes round trip to ACE).
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I have come up with a saying:

"The worst thing about being human is not knowing what stupid thing you are going to do next".

On my first build I fought the trigger pin in and out several times messing with a crappy Model 1 safety. Later I figure it out,,,,, cock the frigging hammer, stupid.

rj
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top