Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 8:40:52 AM EDT

Building a new target rifle with a DPMS 24" target upper. Normal flattop config. Optic is 4.5 to 14 Weaver.

Tried to mount rings directly to receiver and there was insufficient eye relief.

Ordered up the A.R.M.S. SWAN Sleeve #36 S-Ex. This is the 14" rail. I'll end up cutting a few inches off the end, but I wanted to make sure I was able to get the optic forward enough.

Upon looking at the setup, it seems that there is quite a bit of metal cantelievered over the forend. I am concerned about flex in the system.
I want the rifle to be able to take a certain amount of use and abuse.

Is this thing rigid enough for what I hope to be a 600yd. rifle OR should I just go ahead and order one of DPMS' extended rail uppers.

Experience? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Z
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, It will work perfectly.I have a SPR type
rifle .It has a Daniel Defense Rail, with
the ARMS #38 S-EX under ARMS #22-med Rings and
Leupold 3.5x10x40 M3.Works like a champ,perfect
eye relief and looks awesome.
              wes
PS Don't hack up the #38
It will lose it's value.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I built a 20" flat-top but used the ARMS#38s-ex (same as the #36 except for the rear sight) instead.

A 2.5-8x36 power scope mounted in ARMS#22low rings with 1" spacers grouped into a 3" circle at 225yards using Q3131a.

It shot just as well at 400yards, but a bit more scope, free floated barrel, match ammo, and a better-than-factory trigger would do also do wonders.

Oh yeah, ditto on not hacking up the ARMS mount. It's awesome.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top