Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2003 1:25:18 PM EDT
They are no longer taking any payment for gun related items starting May 21. 2003.

I am closing my PayPal account for this reason.  I would hope that you would choose to
do the same.

Please call Paypal at 1-888-221-1161 and express your dissatisfaction with their choice.

ALTERNATIVES TO PAYPAL:
www.paypalwarning.com/Alternatives/Default.htm
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
They've had this policy for quite a while...ever since Ebay bought them.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They've had this policy for quite a while...ever since Ebay bought them.  
View Quote

Well, then don't use them.  You're only giving money to an anti gun establishment.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Im making the call now, the extra trips to the PO are worth it to not support them, Ill just use USPS MO's from now on.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You would be surprised how many people will still use PayPal even though this policy is in place...

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You would be surprised how many people will still use PayPal even though this policy is in place...

View Quote

Yes, but I won't be one of them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well...yeah, people will still find ways to slip by their rules, but people need to realize that what they are doing is kinda like donating to an anti-gun lobbyist.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well...yeah, people will still find ways to slip by their rules, but people need to realize that what they are doing is kinda like donating to an anti-gun lobbyist.
View Quote

I was against it, still am. However, some people decided to PayPal me anyway so I had to sign up to get the money. I plan to cancel my account once the watches are shipped. They scammed me.

1. Said all I had to do to get $5 was sign up. When I did, then they said I had to have a checking accoutn added, so I did. Then they said I had to transfer $250 to get $5! WTF? I didn't. What else would they keep saying I needed to do?

2. They charged ME $1.95 to verify a credit card. In order to get it back, I have to buy something. Fuck that. Forget it: transfered all money to my checking account and the balance is back at zero.

3. I could not get all of my monye unless I verified a CC and checking account or SSN.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I used them to pay for my membership and that's it!  Dropped them like a hot rock when I found out their anti-gun policy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Called # and confirmed, thanks for bringing this to my attention. For what it is worth they have my opinion in phone conversation and in writing when I closed my account.

Dear Sirs:
I will NOT patronize your business due to your policy of not accepting money transfers for the LEGAL purchases of Firearms and Firearm related items.  To alienate a LARGE segment of the internet community with a politically motivated policy is not good business.  To continue to do business with you would go against my love of America, our U.S. Constitution, and the Freedoms U.S. citizens enjoy.  Your policies may please the misguided peoples at the Brady campaign or in France, but do not amuse Me... your customer who votes with his dollars.

Sincearly,
Formerly a Customer
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I called them, and started arguing with the woman I got, aparently they train their employees on how to handle this, she kept telling me the standard anti-gun propaganda, all internet gun sales are illegal, guns are used in many crimes, they are doing their part to reduce crime. They tried to get me to not cancel, I told them to eat s#it, went to the website, and canceled, making sure to let them know exactly why their policy sucks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I quietly closed my account 2 weeks ago.  I didn't tell them why, they don't need to know.

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Add "MONSTER.COM" to the anti-gun list.  The guy who started it made millions and gives a lot to anti-gun groups.

No looking for a job (or posting one) there.

Gerry
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Add "MONSTER.COM" to the anti-gun list.  The guy who started it made millions and gives a lot to anti-gun groups.

No looking for a job (or posting one) there.

Gerry
View Quote

Thanks for that tip.  Not that I'm looking for a job right now but it's always good to be informed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I have used Paypal to make many gun and gun related purchases. They can't stop me, their policy is all bark and no bite. I don't give a shit about their policy or about what they think about guns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have used Paypal to make many gun and gun related purchases. They can't stop me, their policy is all bark and no bite. I don't give a shit about their policy or about what they think about guns.
View Quote

Bravo!  I commend you on being clever enough to give some of your money to an anti gun establishment.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure if you guys stop using PayPal they will fold up right away !!! NOT !!!

I'll continue to use them.

I buy Gun stuff all the time with PayPal with No Problem at all.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I buy Gun stuff all the time with PayPal with No Problem at all.
View Quote

I don't understand why everyone keeps stating that they CAN buy gun stuff with PayPal.  I know you can.  Never said you CAN'T.  It is just against their policy.  Heck, until I found out about their policy I was buying ammo, scopes, red dots, etc, etc with PayPal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#18]
f~ their policy, but most importantly, f~ them.  No Paypal if they are giving s~ to antigun, and are anti-gun to begin with...

I'll money order my EE purchases and AR15 donations.

p3
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I quietly closed my account 2 weeks ago.  I didn't tell them why, they don't need to know.

View Quote

No. You're wrong. They do need to know why you closed it. Especially if it's because of anti-gun issues.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#20]
DaPhotoGuy, Check out [url=http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html]this[/url] link.

If you support any of the companies or people listed there, you too are a part of the problem and shouldn't be here criticizing people.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DaPhotoGuy, Check out [url=http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html]this[/url] link.

If you support any of the companies or people listed there, you too are a part of the problem and shouldn't be here criticizing people.

CHRIS
View Quote

I'm only criticizing people who know the facts and choose to ignore them.  I took a quick glance at the link you sent (thanks by the way) and saw some things already I need to change.  I have HBO at home as my movie tier.  I'll be changing that to a movie tier without anti gun views.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Chris
Thanks, I lost the list of anti's a while back and wanted to find it again. What really surprises me is the number of people that claim to be for the 2nd amendment and still support these companies/people. I just got the owner of the shop I work at to drop his AOL account.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Bravo!  I commend you on being clever enough to give some of your money to an anti gun establishment.
View Quote

You know, technically, when you purchase something on PayPal, you aren't giving them any of your money...

The person you're paying might be, but not you...
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You know, technically, when you purchase something on PayPal, you aren't giving them any of your money...

The person you're paying might be, but not you...
View Quote

exactly.

I'll continue using it. I'm not paying a damn thing. I'm using up their resources while they are making no money on me. Just don't upgrade to a business account, and they won't make any money.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sincearly,
View Quote

Spelling "Sincerely" with such, ummm, character will definitely get your point across.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok here are some hard numbers to wrap your mind around DPG:

If I spend $3000 to buy a preban HK91 from a vendor who sells such things, and he requires that I add 3.0% to the sale to pay paypal, he nets $3000, 100% of his retail asking price.  Of that portion he pays his annual NRA dues, GOA dues, rifle club, etc, etc, etc....all going to the gun culture.

Paypal got $90 from this sale....how many admins and techs do you think it takes to run their site??  Those guys make nice cash, no doubt....so how much of that $90 do they pay in tax??  At least $30, so now they have $60 to spread out over their overhead, salaries, etc....when it is all said and done they may net less than 1% from a $3000 sale that went to the gun culture, to support our freedoms.

As I pointed out before, in your other spam message, on the judgment day for gun rights it will not matter if we won or lost by $30 or $30 MILLION dollars.  There will end up being a winner and a loser.  I'm sorry if you honestly think this will boil down to the person with the most money in the coffers when SHTF....

It's gonna come down to who has the most "toys" and "hardware".

[red]Here is a clue:[/red] It ain't gonna be the polesmokers at EBAY/PAYPAL.....

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If I spend $3000 to buy a preban HK91 from a vendor who sells such things, and he requires that I add 3.0% to the sale to pay paypal, he nets $3000, 100% of his retail asking price.  Of that portion he pays his annual NRA dues, GOA dues, rifle club, etc, etc, etc....all going to the gun culture.

Paypal got $90 from this sale....how many admins and techs do you think it takes to run their site??  Those guys make nice cash, no doubt....so how much of that $90 do they pay in tax??  At least $30, so now they have $60 to spread out over their overhead, salaries, etc....when it is all said and done they may net less than 1% from a $3000 sale that went to the gun culture, to support our freedoms.

As I pointed out before, in your other spam message, on the judgment day for gun rights it will not matter if we won or lost by $30 or $30 MILLION dollars.  There will end up being a winner and a loser.  I'm sorry if you honestly think this will boil down to the person with the most money in the coffers when SHTF....

[red]Here is a clue:[/red] It ain't gonna be the polesmokers at EBAY/PAYPAL.....

View Quote

All good points.  Now, if you sent the vendor a $3000 money order what do you get?  Money in the coffers DOES make a big difference in Washington.  This is where the fight is taking place NOW.  Not in some fantasy SHTF world.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

All good points.  Now, if you sent the vendor a $3000 money order what do you get?  Money in the coffers DOES make a big difference in Washington.  This is where the fight is taking place NOW.  Not in some fantasy SHTF world.
View Quote

That's odd, on their public financial statements I don't see any line items specifically allotted to politcal campaign contributions.  I believe all publicly held companies must report any contributions over $1M in any tax year as a separate line itme on their financials.  Maybe it's buried.

Do you have any solid evidence they are sending thier money to Washington??  If so, who?  How much?  Or does thier "anti-gun" aka "liability mitigation clauses" suddenly make these things reality in your "chicken little" sky is falling they are all against us world??

Also, some e-tailers will only accept paypal, some will only accept money orders, some will only accept cashier's checks, etc......I have outlined EXACTLY why we will ALWAYS be ahead of the curve when using Paypal for gun related expenditures.  I use them for no other types of sales.

HTH.....cluing you in.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

No. You're wrong. They do need to know why you closed it. Especially if it's because of anti-gun issues.
View Quote

Too late, it's done.

Also, to all the folks that think it's "OK" to say "add 3% to cover the paypal fee"... that's actually against the TOS you sign when you agree to use the service.  You can't pass on your expenses to the customer.  Add it to the total price, then you don't break the paypal TOS.

If you care, that is.

Alex
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do you have any solid evidence they are sending thier money to Washington??  If so, who?  How much?  Or does thier "anti-gun" aka "liability mitigation clauses" suddenly make these things reality in your "chicken little" sky is falling they are all against us world??
View Quote

I don't have any evidence at all.  You're right, I'm wrong.  You win.  I loose.  I will not be wasting band width responding to your rantings any longer.  Thanks.

BTW, my "chicken little" world as you call it is closer to reality than your SHTF fantasy world where you get to use your AR15 to fight off the evil gun hatters.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have any evidence at all.  You're right, I'm wrong.  You win.  I loose.  I will not be wasting band width responding to your rantings any longer.  Thanks.

BTW, my "chicken little" world as you call it is closer to reality than your SHTF fantasy world where you get to use your AR15 to fight off the evil gun hatters.
View Quote

You spam three separate forums with the same played out tripe from months ago, you tell us all we are idiots for using paypal, you tell at least one member to "fuck off" ---

THEN, when presented with questions/challenges that your feeble thesis will not support you resort to taking your ball and going home. [lol]

Why not [b]stay[/b] home and let the grown-ups talk now...it would appear that your argument has run it's course and no one really cares who A) Hasn't decided it is beyond their morality to give ANYTHING to someone who is anti-gun or B) Have thought out sound reasonings for conducting e-business among the gun culturists ONLY all while EBAY/PAYPAL collect a pitance that suddenly is moving mountains in Washington, but is below the federal mandate of reportable political contributions.

Bye, bye troll.....make sure you re-post this topic in a few more months after it is about a year out of date mmmmkay??

[wave]  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

exactly.

I'll continue using it. I'm not paying a damn thing. I'm using up their resources while they are making no money on me. Just don't upgrade to a business account, and they won't make any money.

View Quote

Umm, the seller is giving the money to Paypal, and that's the bottom line.  You are an enabler.  ;)
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

View Quote

Umm, the seller is giving the money to Paypal, and that's the bottom line.  You are an enabler.  ;)
View Quote

Ah, someone who UNDERSTANDS!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

View Quote

View Quote

Ah, someone who UNDERSTANDS!!!
View Quote

So do all the guys in Nebraska have as severe a mental deficiency as you...or are you special??

Maybe math wasn't your strong suit.....I understand.  Some people, like you, are good in Home Ec and Photography...but when hard mathmatical skills like percentages and business calculations like overhead rates and fringe benefit pools and taxation become involved you simply revert back to the simplest approach:

Ignore the final outcome of all the opposing views, no matter how vaild the hard numbers are.

Please continue, [:K]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I challenge anyone to avoid EVERY product, corporation, and celebrity on Cixelsyd's list.

AOL/Time Warner
Cummins Engines
AT&T
Worldcom
Hallmark
Disney
Lucent
Viacom
NCR
Netscape
Gateway
etc.
etc.

And how about all of the Physicians' Organization?
Will you go to a Dr. who belongs?
Will you not use a product that was delivered in a truck with a Cummins deisel engine?
Will you no longer buy a Dodge, because they use Cummins?

You've got your work cut out for you.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I challenge anyone to avoid EVERY product, corporation, and celebrity on Cixelsyd's list.

AOL/Time Warner
Cummins Engines
AT&T
Worldcom
Hallmark
Disney
Lucent
Viacom
[size=6][red]NCR[/red][/size=6]
Netscape
Gateway
etc.
etc.

And how about all of the Physicians' Organization?
Will you go to a Dr. who belongs?
Will you not use a product that was delivered in a truck with a Cummins deisel engine?
Will you no longer buy a Dodge, because they use Cummins?

You've got your work cut out for you.
Good luck.
View Quote

NCR....the company that provides point-of-sale processing equipment to EVERY MAJOR RETAILER INCLUING HOME DEPOT and LOWE'S??

Gee, I guess since some part of the HD's and Lowe's sales goes to NCR machinery I better stop giving them my money.  Maybe I should buy some land in the mountains and live off the land only....no need for hardware stores then.  Alas, the mortgage company I use also uses a telepad supplied by NCR, SO it would appear that the $500,000 I would pay to them would be used to support the yearly $10,000 contribution NCR makes to Senator xxxxxx.....

Hmm.....good luck indeed, but again when the facts of the argument get in the way, just go on [b]feelings[/b] -- that is what Democrats do with varied success.[;D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Personally, I couldn't care less that Levis gives money to anti-gun groups.
People do what they want.
It's America. (and I'm not going to give up wearing Levis just because they don't believe exactly as I do)
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't see how anyone can live a normal life by avoiding ALL the companies on that website.  I sure can't.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#39]
BTW, Suntrust Bank also uses NCR terminals at many VA locations, as well as Wachovia, First Union, Bank of America, Chase Manhattan, etc.....not to mention the check scanner machines at Fidelity Investments, and MorganStanley.....

So I guess we all just pack our money away in the matresses...like 1929.....[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why are gun hatters evil?  Don't guns have rights to have hats too?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

So here I am being moderate, showing the ability to compromise certain issues and vendors that threaten a hobby and pasttime I enjoy, but yet in the same breath I am being branded as a radical survivalist who wishes to have an armed confrontation with gun grabbers.

Don't kid yourself, there will come a day when they attempt to ban guns...people will die for this very right.  It may not happen in my lifetime, yours or any of our children's, but it is coming -- just look at the level of insanity coming out of the liberal colleges these days.

So I say again...it will not matter who has how much money in the banks....
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey SHIVAN458, you work for Paypal or what? [;)]

I find it ironic that the ACLU is on that listed.  I guess they get to choose what civil liberties are important.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#43]
As much as I agree with most of the posts here, I have to make one  comment.

Not doing business with companies with anti-gun policies is like eating and doing only those things that are good for you and WON'T give you cancer or kill you. You will live but not with anything exiting happening.

I do what    [size=6][blue]I[/blue][/size=6]    like to do and to hell with everybody else. If you like my things then we can have fun together, if not, see ya.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#44]
This is quite a good argument, but please don't label posters as trolls when they are apparently only guilty of ignorance and/or ill-advised statements. It's my understanding that a troll deliberately makes inflammatory statements in order to foment trouble on message boards. I think we have all seen our share of real ones (like some of the real obvious gov't. types asking about how easy is it to make an AR automatic). I was enraged when I found out about PayPal's policy some months ago. I also had some auctions cancelled on ebay because I mentioned in the ad that the buyer electing to use PayPal must add the 3% fee that they would charge me. Ebay says that is a violation of some state law or other, so they summarily cancelled my auctions without even giving me a chance to edit them. My position now is that I will not accept PayPal for any reason, but I sometimes use it to pay for an auction, particularly if it's a gun-related item. PayPal has no way of knowing what you're buying as long as you don't reference an auction number on the 'send money' form - I just get off on going in under their pompous-assed radar and lobbing some ordnance into their command bunker. I actually don't use it for guns, because there's no point - I have to send the guy a FFL in the mail anyway, so I just drop a money order in there with it. Yes, they're making money every time, but it's very difficult living without ebay and the gun auctions once you've been doing it for a long time. And don't forget, the great ebay used to list guns before they went completely pinko! I just hope cutting my PayPal use in half by not accepting it will have some small effect on them. The more sellers that don't accept it, the more they'll feel the pinch.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is quite a good argument, but please don't label posters as trolls when they are apparently only guilty of ignorance and/or ill-advised statements. It's my understanding that a troll deliberately makes inflammatory statements in order to foment trouble on message boards. I think we have all seen our share of real ones (like some of the real obvious gov't. types asking about how easy is it to make an AR automatic). I was enraged when I found out about PayPal's policy some months ago. I also had some auctions cancelled on ebay because I mentioned in the ad that the buyer electing to use PayPal must add the 3% fee that they would charge me. Ebay says that is a violation of some state law or other, so they summarily cancelled my auctions without even giving me a chance to edit them. My position now is that I will not accept PayPal for any reason, but I sometimes use it to pay for an auction, particularly if it's a gun-related item. PayPal has no way of knowing what you're buying as long as you don't reference an auction number on the 'send money' form - I just get off on going in under their pompous-assed radar and lobbing some ordnance into their command bunker. I actually don't use it for guns, because there's no point - I have to send the guy a FFL in the mail anyway, so I just drop a money order in there with it. Yes, they're making money every time, but it's very difficult living without ebay and the gun auctions once you've been doing it for a long time. And don't forget, the great ebay used to list guns before they went completely pinko! I just hope cutting my PayPal use in half by not accepting it will have some small effect on them. The more sellers that don't accept it, the more they'll feel the pinch.
View Quote

1sax:

Posting the same message to three separate forums, telling other members to "fuck off" when they disagree, then avoiding any semblance of a discussion -- despite everyone's best efforts is troll-like.  I guess I have become jaded in my brief stay here......

Sorry if I offended you. [beer]

Ed

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sincearly,
View Quote

Spelling "Sincerely" with such, ummm, character will definitely get your point across.
View Quote

oops   [noclue]

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#47]
do you think my local gunshop uses a register from NCR??
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
do you think my local gunshop uses a register from NCR??
View Quote

If they do you should stop using them for all your needs, they support the anti-gun culture, and are obviously gun grabbers. [rolleyes]

Oh wait, they SELL guns......hmm.....tough call.

[lol]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Buyers don't pay the way, work on the SELLERS. We see too often "add 3% for Pay Pal". If the SELLER refuses to use them their game is over...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Depending on the TOS of your local gunstore, they sometimes say "ADD 3%, 4%, 5%" for your purchase when you use a CC as well. This is pretty much the standard if you are not processing tons of cards every day [;)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top