Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 1:57:16 PM EST
Not satisfied with Matrix Arms' lack of anti-rotation features I went ahead and bit on a STNGR 15" handguard (the "VYPR" model).

Total price was $95

It's quite impressive given the price point. All parts (rail, screws, barrel nut, crow foot wrench, hex wrench) came wrapped in a ton of bubble wrap and padded envelopes. Also included is a directions manual.

The machining on the rail is very nice. No nicks, bumps, dents, dings, or machine marks. Anodizing is nice and appears quite "thick" and has a nice semi-satin sheen to it. Unlike the Matrix rail, the STNGR has no sharp edges. M-LOK cutouts at 3, 6, and 9 o-clock and there are also cutouts along the length of the Picatinny rail whether or not they're M-LOK cuts I don't know. Rail has two QD inserts just forward of the barrel nut area and there are two full-rotational QD cutouts on the muzzle end of the rail.

This handguard has two anti-rotation tabs and a small plate also mates with the barrel nut to prevent the rain from creeping forward.

The included crow foot wrench (1-3/8") is kind of rough (it's no Snap-On) but serviceable.

For the money I think this is gonna kick ass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:40:23 PM EST
https://www.stngrusa.com/

Damn, I wish they had some in FDE, or one without a monolithic rail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:58:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Not satisfied with Matrix Arms' lack of anti-rotation features I went ahead and bit on a STNGR 15" handguard (the "VYPR" model).

Total price was $95

It's quite impressive given the price point. All parts (rail, screws, barrel nut, crow foot wrench, hex wrench) came wrapped in a ton of bubble wrap and padded envelopes. Also included is a directions manual.

The machining on the rail is very nice. No nicks, bumps, dents, dings, or machine marks. Anodizing is nice and appears quite "thick" and has a nice semi-satin sheen to it. Unlike the Matrix rail, the STNGR has no sharp edges. M-LOK cutouts at 3, 6, and 9 o-clock and there are also cutouts along the length of the Picatinny rail whether or not they're M-LOK cuts I don't know. Rail has two QD inserts just forward of the barrel nut area and there are two full-rotational QD cutouts on the muzzle end of the rail.

This handguard has two anti-rotation tabs and a small plate also mates with the barrel nut to prevent the rain from creeping forward.

The included crow foot wrench (1-3/8") is kind of rough (it's no Snap-On) but serviceable.

For the money I think this is gonna kick ass.
View Quote
Sounds like a nice rail. Pics?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:08:14 PM EST
Here's this evening's "build in progress" pic. Added will be Strike Industries V2 M-Lok Rail covers and a Magpul M-Lok Handstop Kit both in FDE.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:21:42 PM EST
I almost bought one of those but couldn't find much for reviews.  Ended up going with a known quantity (ALG).
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:41:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:41:46 PM EST
another pic sorry for poor quality:

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:29:18 AM EST
Nice looking rail, and I like the mix of fde on your build. Probably a noob question but is that front sight on backwards?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:17:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2017 8:23:23 PM EST by ThePontificator]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rbass:
Nice looking rail, and I like the mix of fde on your build. Probably a noob question but is that front sight on backwards?
View Quote
LOL yes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:58:12 PM EST
With MBUS installed correctly I added an FDE Hand Stop Kit.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:32:09 PM EST
Hey Pont, i bit on those STNGR handguards too. Got a 13 and a 15 VYPR. I opted for the steel barrel nuts. Here is an upper with the 15.

They are quite good quality and fit very well.

And the pair I built last Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:29:34 AM EST
What advantage is there in going with the steel replacement barrel nut over the included aluminum version?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:10:34 PM EST
A better outside photo.

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:57:47 PM EST
Also got one of their "venom" buffer tubes. Nice quality T6 7075 with a very nice anodized finish. $17 a pop with free shipping. Salad days indeed.
Top Top