Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 9:18:42 PM EST
Is there anyway to modify the folowers of Sten Mags to make these hold the bolt open on the last round like the Colt mags will (IN colt style 9mm's)?

Even with welding and machining this would be a very viable alternative to the $100 Colt mags.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:32:18 PM EST
Well, the problem with the Sten mags is they have that ridge in the back of them, that extends INTO the mag (and it goes all the way from the top to the bottom of the mag). If that ridge wasn't there, maybe the follower could be modified, but it's uncertain. -Gloftoe
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:57:14 PM EST
Diddo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:39:41 AM EST
My only thought would be to mill out the ridge and weld some sort of reinforcement down the length of the mag (think of the reinforcement at the top of the mag running all the way down). This should not impede its use in a sten gun, so should be legal. Rocko
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:46:32 AM EST
So the problem is the "ridge" takes the place of the follower at the rear of the mag and makes it impossible to reach the bolt holdopen? This sounds like a simple "reach issue" maybe the bolt hold-open latch could be modified to reach the follower? Or maybe this would mean that every round would actuate the bolt holdopen and thus make it into a single shot. I have a 9mm kit comming and my brother bought 40 sten mags from TAPCO for like $80. but I haven't got the kit yet so I guess I'll have to take a look at it then.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:04:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Green0: So the problem is the "ridge" takes the place of the follower at the rear of the mag and makes it impossible to reach the bolt holdopen? This sounds like a simple "reach issue" maybe the bolt hold-open latch could be modified to reach the follower? Or maybe this would mean that every round would actuate the bolt holdopen and thus make it into a single shot. I have a 9mm kit comming and my brother bought 40 sten mags from TAPCO for like $80. but I haven't got the kit yet so I guess I'll have to take a look at it then.
View Quote
Green0, What type of magwell adapter do you have? JRW or a drop in type? Also what upper are you getting? I am waiting for a RRA 9mm upper to get here. [:)] Hopefully it will arrive today. And also have some Stens that are should get here today. Then I'll start the magwell adapter conversion, using the JRW adapter. Figures, waited all this time and it'll all show up just before I leave for a trip [%|] Jamie
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:47:52 AM EST
I have a Garrison MFG upper (colt compatible) And I think I'm going to change out the upper for a RRA 9MM (because the Garrison MFG doesn't have a dustcover) and I'll either get an ASA drop in adaptor or a RRA adaptor or whatever is cheapest and will work with the Colt style parts. -Austin Green
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:03:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By Green0: I have a Garrison MFG upper (colt compatible) And I think I'm going to change out the upper for a RRA 9MM (because the Garrison MFG doesn't have a dustcover) and I'll either get an ASA drop in adaptor or a RRA adaptor or whatever is cheapest and will work with the Colt style parts. -Austin Green
View Quote
If you are planning on using Stens in a Colt style upper you might want to read [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=136191] here [/url]. I'm not very familiar with the drop in adapter's and converting them for use with a Sten mag, however Gloftoe or Kaliburz might have a better idea on the possibility. But I know that both of the are using a modified JRW adapter for the Stens, if that tells you anything. The JRW adapters are available from [url=http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=jr3rqhi0go00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Findex.html] Brownells[/url] and are about $120. Just search for JRW Sports. Jamie
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:10:34 PM EST
I always wondered about something like Armalite has for the AR10 mags, a little button that sticks out of the follower to actuate the bolt catch. Never put a lot of thought into it though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:29:44 PM EST
I've had an interesting idea on a sten mag bolt hold open. So I ordered a JRW block today and will let you know if it works out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:14:47 PM EST
Yes, please do! I'd be interested in this as well. -Gloftoe
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:38:25 PM EST
Circuits - Good Luck, you are in for much head scratching and hair pulling. Once upon a time - (pre 94) I made up a batch of replacement followers for Uzi mags which had also been nothed for use in a Colt config. They work out well and the guy I did it for loved them. At the time it wasn't considered a profitable or viable product. But that was also back in the days when SARCO, or some of the the others would throw in a used 25rnd uzi mag with every order over $100. - Or you could buy them new for $7. I wish I still had one as a pattern.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:19:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By Green0: This sounds like a simple "reach issue" maybe the bolt hold-open latch could be modified to reach the follower?
View Quote
This would be the last thing you would want to try unless you are making a dedicated 9mm lower. I'm not all that keen on the Armalite button on the follower idea either. It creates feed problems if not kept clean and properly lubed. Personally, the bolt hold open thing isn't an issue with me as neither my HK or AK have that function. Anyway, good luck!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:38:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2003 7:39:49 AM EST by Green0]
I think that is part of what makes AR-15's superior to AK's I know it is not absolutely neccassary but it is nice. (I wish AK's had this as their bolts are hard to cycle especially with a loaded mag- if anything the ar-15 is the gun that doesn't need this feature.) On an AK the bolt operation adds a lot of time to a mag change which is in my mind the reason why AK's will be obsolete prior to Ar-15/M-16's.
Top Top