Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2011 9:02:41 AM EDT
Guys,

I'm working on my KISS M4 Carbine build.  Unlike my 20" YHM-15, this build will be very different.  This build is based on an Aero Precision Upper/Lower, A3 Carry Handle, Magpul furniture, Bravo Company (auto) BCG.  Now I need to figure out what barrel to go with.  Since I already own the upper receiver (matching set with lower), I'm not interested in a complete upper.  I am considering very seriously buying the Stag Arms barrel/gas block shown below.  http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_36&products_id=294   Your thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's what you want then purchase it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but that's not particularily helpful.  I'm interested in knowing other people's opinions or experience with the barrel I'm considering.  That is why I posed the question.  If there's a better option out there for what I'm looking for then I'd like to hear about it.

Quoted:
If it's what you want then purchase it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a stag model 2 (same barrel.) Mine has been great. Stag makes a good product for the money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Since you have a Stag, let me ask you is yours the + package?  Cold hammer forged?  4150 steel?  Seems like folks make a lot of noise about all of that, so I'd especially like to hear from you, since you own one.

Quoted:
I've got a stag model 2 (same barrel.) Mine has been great. Stag makes a good product for the money.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine isn't the plus package. I might order a plus package 20" upper from them. I'd use the longer barrel to throw higher BC bullets so the extra bit of twist would be nice.

My non+ model stag has run absolutely flawless. Don't need m4 feedramps, no matter how fast I pull the trigger I can't make it choke. Don't need a 1:7 twist, I'd rather a lack of stability than overstability. It's a house gun. I'll never shoot enough to wear out that 4140 barrel and if I do I'll buy another. (which I'll do regardless of whether or not I wear this one out.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
i would go SS.  You'll never wear it out and the accuracy increase is nice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the 16'' bbls with m4 feedramps. It is all around a great bbl. I would buy it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a stag model 2. I was satisfied with it until I cleaned it the after the first 120 rounds. Noticed small flakes of what looked like chrome lining on the pad I put my guns on while cleaning. Ran a couple more patches and got some more flakes. Sent the uppper back to stag and they replaced it. When I got the second uppper I cleaned it and noticed an area in the bore that looked like pitting in the chrome lining. They again set it up for me to send it back. It will be awhile before I get a response on this upper I just sent it back yesterday. They are trying to make it right.
Oh and I do use the Otis cleaning kit and CLP while cleaning my rifles.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Stuff like this is always good to know, because even if it doesn't happen to me at least I'll know what to look out for.  Glad to hear Stag is taking care of you and making things right.  That is what I expect from a company of that caliber....no pun intended.  So let me ask you, is yours also 4140, 1/9 twist?  Or is there are an option for 1/7?

What are your thoughts on the Palmetto Hammer Forged Barrel, or Bravo Co barrels?

Quoted:
I bought a stag model 2. I was satisfied with it until I cleaned it the after the first 120 rounds. Noticed small flakes of what looked like chrome lining on the pad I put my guns on while cleaning. Ran a couple more patches and got some more flakes. Sent the uppper back to stag and they replaced it. When I got the second uppper I cleaned it and noticed an area in the bore that looked like pitting in the chrome lining. They again set it up for me to send it back. It will be awhile before I get a response on this upper I just sent it back yesterday. They are trying to make it right.
Oh and I do use the Otis cleaning kit and CLP while cleaning my rifles.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It's the 1/9 twist. On their website they have what they call the "plus package"for $100 more than what the original upper was. Look up this option on their site and it gives you what their standard issue uppers have which is pretty impressive, especially their bcg group, as well as their plus package. I was wanting to upgrade my upper to this, but according to the email reply I got from them it is an option when you are looking to buy from them originally. I assume they would have to had my lower to configure it to the plus package upper.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Stag is GTG. I have a couple and they have been flawless.  I have used thier parts (Stag/CMT) in other builds and they have been great as well. Stag/CMT LPK's I have used have had the BEST out of the box triggers of any other brand I have used in builds....<><....:)
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Good input from Stag owners here.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Been checking around and I came across a Cold Hammer Forged barrel from CMMG.  This barrel is also 4150 steel & 1:7 twist, which I prefer.  What are your thoughts on CMMG barrels?  I like the specs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top