Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:16:45 AM EST
I've been reading reviews that seem too good to be true for the Super Sniper 1-4 HD scope. I really like the circle reticle and the FFP feature. I seems like it is tested pretty intensely and has a good range of illumination. Glass also seems to be pretty good. However people are claiming that this optic is on par or better than a Nightforce NXS 1-4 and even a S&B Short Dot which is a damnnnn bold claim. At $800 is seems like a pretty good deal for all the features. The issue I am having is I want to know if it really is as good as these higher end scopes. Especially since for $300 dollars more I could have a Nightforce which I know has a great reputation for quality and ruggendness.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:21:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 7:25:57 AM EST by mousegunner]
Originally Posted By generalzip:
I've been reading reviews that seem too good to be true for the Super Sniper 1-4 HD scope. I really like the circle reticle and the FFP feature. I seems like it is tested pretty intensely and has a good range of illumination. Glass also seems to be pretty good. However people are claiming that this optic is on par or better than a Nightforce NXS 1-4 and even a S&B Short Dot which is a damnnnn bold claim. At $800 is seems like a pretty good deal for all the features. The issue I am having is I want to know if it really is as good as these higher end scopes. Especially since for $300 dollars more I could have a Nightforce which I know has a great reputation for quality and ruggendness.

Sorry, but I don't agree with any such claims. I have the Nightforce and S&B 1-4x scopes, and the SS isn't even close. The illumination is about a bright as the Nightforce, but neither are what I'd call "daylight visible." At least, not in full sun - the illumination just disappears. The glass is okay, but not on a par with the Nightforce and certainly not with the S&B. Also, the magnification ring is quite stiff, even with the use of a cat tail lever.

You could argue the merits of a FFP reticle, but, for me, it's not ideal on a 1-4x scope.

I'd also add that the scope ate batteries even when turned off and stored. Sent it back to SWFA for repair. After return, I checked on the battery in it, and it was also dead then. Seems like either it really wasn't fixed, or there's just a fault in the design. Basically, you need to remove the battery between range sessions.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:58:17 AM EST
How would you compare the glass quality in both these scopes? The main factor for me is reliability and glass quality. I can adjust my training and shooting style depending on a reticle. From what I hear the SS is very rugged and also has glass on par with the Vortex HD, nightforce, etc. Just curious as to your opinions since you owned both
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:32:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 2:55:55 PM EST by mousegunner]
Originally Posted By generalzip:
How would you compare the glass quality in both these scopes? The main factor for me is reliability and glass quality. I can adjust my training and shooting style depending on a reticle. From what I hear the SS is very rugged and also has glass on par with the Vortex HD, nightforce, etc. Just curious as to your opinions since you owned both

If you're concerned about glass quality, I'd go with the Nightforce. It's also a much more rugged scope than the SS and better quality overall. I'd go for the FC-2 reticle, for what it's worth. It's perfect for a 1-4x rig.

Also, for a bit more money than the SS you could get a Meopta Meostar R1 scope with the K-Dot reticle. Excellent glass, and a solid scope, although probably not quite as tough as the NF. It also has the advantage of having a daylight visible reticle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:44:28 PM EST
I like my Meopta K Dot. The glass is excellent, I love the reticle, and it seems reliable, although I've never pounded roofing nails with it. My only complaint is that the field of view is so wide (a good thing) that it has a good amount of barrel distortion. I got it brand new, second hand for $525 shipped, so it was a deal I couldn't pass on.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:13:48 PM EST
I have the SS 1-4 and it is a fine piece of glass for the price point. I doubt very seriously if it matches the NF or the S&B ( I own niether.) but for what I paid, it was worth every penny.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:04:44 PM EST
the new Meopta K-dot would be a better option for that price range.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:45:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By wetidlerjr:
I have the SS 1-4 and it is a fine piece of glass for the price point. I doubt very seriously if it matches the NF or the S&B ( I own niether.) but for what I paid, it was worth every penny.

I have to add that I have the same battery problem as mousegunner but it doesn't matter to me as you can use the reticle without illumination.. It should have been addressed by SWFA, though. As for being rugged, I have read a report on TOS from one member that used his in Afghanistan.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:38:58 AM EST
While I don't have the SS 1-4 I do have the 5-20. The glass and overall quality of the scopes are very very good for the price you are paying. The night force definitely have the rep behind them but the SS scopes are no slouch.

For me the reticle on the SS far outweighs the little better glass with the NF. I prefer the FFP of it too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:28:45 AM EST
Guys,

All of the posts here seem pretty well-informed. I have been running the SS 1-4 HD on a DPMS 16" LR-308 for about a year now, and I have had no problems with the scope itself, optics, adjustments, durability, etc. The battery issue is totally accurate from the other posts - I would almost remove the battery so it can't foul the compartment. The illumination is not necessary to run the scope, so it only bothers me in theory, and yes, SWFA should CORRECT this problem. It's holding back the scope's reputation and popularity. I thought I had a bum one until I learned this problem was near-universal on this model.

The SWFA sample list has a couple of the scopes on for 699.95 right now, and for that money I think it's the best optic out there. I tried a Leupold Patrol 1.25-4 and actually returned it because its optics were not in the same league as the HD glass, and I personally love and respect the Leupold brand. Of course, the Leupold's illumination worked perfectly. However, the optics and adjustments were superior on the SS. NF and Swarovski and S&B are all out of my price range, unfortunately, so I can't talk comparison. The SS does slay the Burris MTAC's reticle and optics, but the MTAC is a different price point, so no slam on Burris - they have a good product. I do like that the SS is Japanese OEM, it shows in the quality of the finish and laser-engraving on the knobs, etc.

I still intend to use this rig for 3-gun heavy metal class, but I am still shooting my .223 due to ammo cost (even though I reload - Hornady 150 FMJ bullets are expensive!).

Good luck with your decision! I had a hard time making my decision!
Top Top