Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:54:04 AM EDT
Is the SSA-E worth the extra $30.00 over the SSA?  Application is an M4 carbine range gun, but this is my go to carbine if need be.  I am NOT military/LE.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
You should wait until their new triggers come out this spring.

ETA- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_444/213031_New_Things_at_Geissele_for_2012.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to ask whether you want a 2 stage or single stage trigger. SSA-E is 2 stage.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You have to ask whether you want a 2 stage or single stage trigger. SSA-E is 2 stage.

They are both 2 stage according to their info.  The SSA-E is the same trigger as the SSA, just with lighter pull.  My question is to those that are familiar with both triggers, is the SSA-E "$30.00 better" than the SSA?

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are both 2 stage according to their info.  The SSA-E is the same trigger as the SSA, just with lighter pull.  My question is to those that are familiar with both triggers, is the SSA-E "$30.00 better" than the SSA?

I only have the "E" version, so I cannot compare.
I can say that I don't think the "E" feels too light.

I noticed that the original SSA models seems to be on sale everywhere.
I can only assume that this is because everyone prefers the "SSA-E".

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
SSA-E is my choice
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both, and they're both great. What is $30 these days? Anyway, for me the SSA-E is not significantly different from the SSA. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#7]
SSA or the 3 gun
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
[/quote]

I only have the "E" version, so I cannot compare.
I can say that I don't think the "E" feels too light.

I noticed that the original SSA models seems to be on sale everywhere.
I can only assume that this is because everyone prefers the "SSA-E".

[/quote]

Okay, thats good, thanks.  I have a tuned RRA trigger now and I think its too light for anything but an range gun.  I just sold it, it is an excellent trigger.  I have the same trigger in my varmint AR and will keep it.  I want a "duty type" trigger in this carbine but worried about the SSA being too heavy and the "E" being too light.  If it comes in at 3.5-4.0 I will like it fine.    

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I only have an SSA trigger, but I love it.  I am not sure what the above poster was trying to get at but I know the SSA trigger is a two stage trigger
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#10]
SD-E rocks. It's the SSA-E with a flat bow, and it's the only trigger I'll ever consider putting in an AR. Good thing I only have one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I'm going to have to get one of each of the new ALG triggers, just to see what they're like.  Two MIL-SPEC grade single-stage triggers from a Gisele company for less than $150?  HECK yes!
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a breakdown of the FOUR Geissele triggers you should be looking at.  If I were you, I would consider the SD-C.

SSA
This is a 2 stage trigger...pull of both stages combined is roughly 4.5 lbs.  This is an ideal weight for a combat trigger.  If you're using it for home defense, this will probably be your best choice.

SSA-E
This is the "Enhanced" version of the SSA...also a 2 stage trigger, but springs are lightened for a total pull weight of roughly 3.5 lbs.  This lighter pull weight is ideal for longer range precision rifles.

SD-C
This is the Super Dynamic Combat trigger, which is an SSA with the new flat trigger bow.

SD-E
This is the Super Dynamic Enhanced trigger, which is an SSA-E with the new flat trigger bow.

I have an SSA (4.5 lbs, regular trigger bow) in one rifle and an SD-E (3.5 lbs, flat trigger bow) in another.  Although it looks strange, I really prefer the new flat shaped trigger bow, as I feel it instinctively puts my finger in the proper position.  I've considered selling the SSA and replacing it with an SD-C, but haven't gotten around to it just yet.

The new triggers by ALG (Geissele's wife's company) sound great for the money, but they do have a 6 lb pull, which is a bit heavy for my liking.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#13]
TARFU,

If you want a "duty" trigger, then the SSA (non-E) or the straight bowed version of it would be the one to choose.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't tried the SSA-E, and I just got my first trigger time an a brand spankin' new SSA this weekend, but I was making a similar decision when trying to decide whether to start with the SSA or SSA-E.  

I figured "Enhanced" meant better, and was originally leaning towards that one (the price difference is relatively negligible when you're spending that much for a trigger already, IMHO ).  

I'm using the trigger in my "M4A1" Form 1 LE6920 lower (had to get the big pin version) that I use both a 14.5" upper and a 10.3" upper on.

Bill Geissele himself said that the SSA is the "combat trigger," and recommended for general purpose duty guns, while the SSA-E is a "match" trigger.  The differences in the pull and break can be seen on the spec sheets for the Geissele triggers, and his recommendation that I go with the cheaper trigger versus the more expensive one for my purposes was strong enough for me to get the SSA.  

That said, I've shot with the occasional match trigger before (though this was my first experience with a Geissele), but I've been primarily a stock trigger man for years.  I was never that impressed with match-type triggers, but the Geissele SSA blew me away.  I was originially not even that impressed at install and during dry firing.  It was nice, but felt like any ol' match trigger out there.  

Once I got it to the range though, and did a quick-fire string, the first stage take up, followthrough, and reset were all creamily in synch with my breathing rhythm, and the quick groups you can hammer out with only half the thought expended with a standard trigger group, I'm a believer, and Mr. Geissele may be getting some more of my money in the near future.  Firing was so tactile and pleasureable compared to what I was used to, plus the SSA seems to have the durability and reliability pedigree that I'm looking for.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I may try a SSA-E on the varmint rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I haven't tried the SSA-E, and I just got my first trigger time an a brand spankin' new SSA this weekend, but I was making a similar decision when trying to decide whether to start with the SSA or SSA-E.  

I figured "Enhanced" meant better, and was originally leaning towards that one (the price difference is relatively negligible when you're spending that much for a trigger already, IMHO ).  

I'm using the trigger in my "M4A1" Form 1 LE6920 lower (had to get the big pin version) that I use both a 14.5" upper and a 10.3" upper on.

Bill Geissele himself said that the SSA is the "combat trigger," and recommended for general purpose duty guns, while the SSA-E is a "match" trigger.  The differences in the pull and break can be seen on the spec sheets for the Geissele triggers, and his recommendation that I go with the cheaper trigger versus the more expensive one for my purposes was strong enough for me to get the SSA.  

That said, I've shot with the occasional match trigger before (though this was my first experience with a Geissele), but I've been primarily a stock trigger man for years.  I was never that impressed with match-type triggers, but the Geissele SSA blew me away.  I was originially not even that impressed at install and during dry firing.  It was nice, but felt like any ol' match trigger out there.  

Once I got it to the range though, and did a quick-fire string, the first stage take up, followthrough, and reset were all creamily in synch with my breathing rhythm, and the quick groups you can hammer out with only half the thought expended with a standard trigger group, I'm a believer, and Mr. Geissele may be getting some more of my money in the near future.  Firing was so tactile and pleasureable compared to what I was used to, plus the SSA seems to have the durability and reliability pedigree that I'm looking for.  

~Augee

Thanks for the great review Augee! I too was on the fence between the models, and this tells me that the SSA will be perfect for my needs.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I've owned both...and a Super 3-gun as well.  

The SSA-E is lighter than the SSA, but there is more to it than that. Its not as simple as a spring/weight change.

I like the reset MUCH better on the SSA-E. When the weapon fires and you hold the trigger to the rear, after recoil settles you start letting the trigger forward. On the SSA-E, as soon as it clicks, you can start pulling rearward again. On the SSA, when letting forward and the trigger click, you had to let it up past the click until it hit its forward stop. This kind of led to a feeling of slapping the trigger when trying to run it fast.

The SSA-E is easy to run fast. A two-stage IMO definetly is worth it if you are trying to do any type of precision shooting. I like the SSA-E over the S3G and SSA by a long shot.

I'm going to add that I disagree with Bill Geissele. Under stress, if you think your finger is going to know the difference between 3.5 and 4.5lbs, you are smoked. Trigger pull weight is not a safety device. If your safety is off, and your finger is on the trigger when you don't want to fire the weapon, those are HUGE training problems, NOT equipment problems. 1lb isn't going to save your ass.  

Now, if his point was made as one from the standpoint of drop safety, I can see that, but not at all based on trigger pull weight.

I LOVE the mans triggers, i've bought three of them. Each is a HUGE improvement over a stock GI. Very much worth their price tag.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to rifle......ssa
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the replies.   Well, in true ARFCOM fashion, I got both!  I will put the "E" in my M4 with the Leupold MRT 1.5-5 and the SSA in my M4 with the TA33 ACOG.  Logic is that I can do more precise shooting with the MRT. I will give my own head to head comparison when I get them installed this weekend.  Then, I am leaving this website before I go broke, you guys are killing me, along with Bravo Co, Larue, and now this Geissele fellow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Anxious to hear your report.  I have 3 SSA's and couldn't be more pleased, after some frustrating moments with either stock or modded triggers.
I wanted something reliable as gravity with a clean break; hard to imagine what could be better than the SSA for anything short of a varmint gun.
Moon
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've owned both...and a Super 3-gun as well.  

The SSA-E is lighter than the SSA, but there is more to it than that. Its not as simple as a spring/weight change.

I like the reset MUCH better on the SSA-E. When the weapon fires and you hold the trigger to the rear, after recoil settles you start letting the trigger forward. On the SSA-E, as soon as it clicks, you can start pulling rearward again. On the SSA, when letting forward and the trigger click, you had to let it up past the click until it hit its forward stop. This kind of led to a feeling of slapping the trigger when trying to run it fast.

The SSA-E is easy to run fast. A two-stage IMO definetly is worth it if you are trying to do any type of precision shooting. I like the SSA-E over the S3G and SSA by a long shot.

I'm going to add that I disagree with Bill Geissele. Under stress, if you think your finger is going to know the difference between 3.5 and 4.5lbs, you are smoked. Trigger pull weight is not a safety device. If your safety is off, and your finger is on the trigger when you don't want to fire the weapon, those are HUGE training problems, NOT equipment problems. 1lb isn't going to save your ass.  

Now, if his point was made as one from the standpoint of drop safety, I can see that, but not at all based on trigger pull weight.

I LOVE the mans triggers, i've bought three of them. Each is a HUGE improvement over a stock GI. Very much worth their price tag.

That's very interesting about the reset on the SSA-E compared to the SSA.  Like I said, I never got a chance to "try it before you buy it" with the SSA and SSA-E, despite a request on my HTF, but the short reset on the SSA is one of my favorite things.  

When doing rapid fire precision shooting the reset length of the SSA is pretty much perfect for me, the trigger resets at about the instant I hit my next natural breathing pause after breaking the trigger.

I'm also very accustomed to 1911 triggers set at about a 4.5 lb. break, so the SSA was very intuitive for me.  

It would be interesting to try out the SSA-E in comparison now that I'm running an SSA.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
UPDATED****

I installed both triggers on my 2 M4s.  My LMT with a Leupold MRT (formerly equipped with a WOA/RRA 2-stage) got the SSA-E and the BCM with a TA33 ACOG (formerly with a factory trigger) got the SSA.   The thinking here is that the MRT is capable of more precise shooting, hence the ligher trigger.

First, there is a distinct difference between the 2 triggers with the SSA-E being much lighter.  I sold my 3.5# WOA/RRA because I thought it was more of target trigger than a "fighting" trigger.  The SSA-E perceived let-off feels significantly lighter than even that trigger.  

In comparison to the SSA, the SSA-E has more of a distinct stop at the second stage if you pull the trigger slow, maybe because the take up is lighter.  However, the second stage break is very light, like a tuned Rem. 700 trigger.  It is quite easy to pull right through the second stage if you are not delicate with the uptake.  I did not perceive any difference in the reset like the poster above.  The SSA-E would be a fantastic match trigger but IMO it is much too light for a duty type weapon.

For an M4 type AR if feel the SSA is perfect and would have been happy with this trigger in both guns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Your results are similar to mine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
UPDATED****

I installed both triggers on my 2 M4s.  My LMT with a Leupold MRT (formerly equipped with a WOA/RRA 2-stage) got the SSA-E and the BCM with a TA33 ACOG (formerly with a factory trigger) got the SSA.   The thinking here is that the MRT is capable of more precise shooting, hence the ligher trigger.

First, there is a distinct difference between the 2 triggers with the SSA-E being much lighter.  I sold my 3.5# WOA/RRA because I thought it was more of target trigger than a "fighting" trigger.  The SSA-E perceived let-off feels significantly lighter than even that trigger.  

In comparison to the SSA, the SSA-E has more of a distinct stop at the second stage if you pull the trigger slow, maybe because the take up is lighter.  However, the second stage break is very light, light a tuned Rem. 700 trigger.  It is quite easy to pull right through the second stage if you are not delicate with the uptake.  I did not perceive any difference in the reset like the poster above.  The SSA-E would be a fantastic match trigger but IMO it is much too light for a duty type weapon.

For an M4 type AR if feel the SSA is perfect and would have been happy with this trigger in both guns.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say in my earlier post...for a combat (SHTF/HD) type of rig, SSA or SD-C is perfect...at least for my taste.  But for a precision rifle, I wouldn't want anything but an SSA-E or SD-E.

You know what that means...now you need to build a Recce/SPR type of upper for the one with the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATED****

In comparison to the SSA, the SSA-E has more of a distinct stop at the second stage if you pull the trigger slow, maybe because the take up is lighter.  However, the second stage break is very light, light a tuned Rem. 700 trigger.  It is quite easy to pull right through the second stage if you are not delicate with the uptake.  I did not perceive any difference in the reset like the poster above.  The SSA-E would be a fantastic match trigger but IMO it is much too light for a duty type weapon.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say in my earlier post...for a combat (SHTF/HD) type of rig, SSA or SD-C is perfect...at least for my taste.  But for a precision rifle, I wouldn't want anything but an SSA-E or SD-E.

You know what that means...now you need to build a Recce/SPR type of upper for the one with the SSA-E. [/quote[b

Wait, do you know me?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for updating the thread with your experiences. This really helps lock down my decision, and will help others searching on this subject, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#27]
The only trigger i'd prefer over an SSA-E that i've tried is a hi-speed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#28]
This is great feedback on these, I own 2 SSA Geisselle triggers that are spoiling me. When reading you guys experiences, we learn a lot. Sure, I'd like "one of each" to try- that ain't happening. I do see a couple more in my future. Thanks for the info guys.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top