Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2011 1:25:22 PM EDT
I'm looking into buying the BCM 16in mid length SS410 upper and i was wondering is that upper heavier than a regular BCM 16in mid length ? The standard black one?
And what are the benefits of having a steel barrel compared to the standard black uppers ?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410.htm    ––-SS410

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm   ––––Standard
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
i went with the palmetto ss upper, just something to look at, I know that doesn't answer your question.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The stainless barrels have no chrome lining and a 1/8 twist rifling.

S/B more accurate with 60-75 grain bullets.

I'm also thinking about the same model from BCM...
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. Do you know which one is heavier?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The steel barrel is a gov profile and the stainless looks medium profile. So, just guessing, but i would assume the stainless barrel is a little heavier. I dont think it will be a lot heavier.

The main issue is accuracy vs life. The SS barrel will be a little more accurate. The steel barrel will last a little longer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The standard SS410 upper is 4oz heavier than the standard gov profile upper.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The standard SS410 upper is 4oz heavier than the standard gov profile upper.

Do you think i will notice that when im shooting ? Is it a substantial amount of weight when it comes to uppers ?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Noticeable when shooting from a bench, no. If offhand or carrying it all day then yeah you could probably notice it. If you consider a lightweight upper, which would save an additional 4-5 oz then that is a pretty substantial difference.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Noticeable when shooting from a bench, no. If offhand or carrying it all day then yeah you could probably notice it. If you consider a lightweight upper, which would save an additional 4-5 oz then that is a pretty substantial difference.

yea im thinking im gonna go with the the standard 16in middy. but BCM told me their ETA is fall.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea im thinking im gonna go with the the standard 16in middy. but BCM told me their ETA is fall.

4 to 5 oz. substantial on the negative side??? Heavier.... yes. But 'cmon 4 oz. I still drink my refreshments out of a 12 oz. can. A quarter pounder with cheese should not impact your decision one way or the other.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 to 5 oz. substantial on the negative side??? Heavier.... yes. But 'cmon 4 oz. I still drink my refreshments out of a 12 oz. can. A quarter pounder with cheese should not impact your decision one way or the other.

Well the way i look at it every ounce counts. And a 12 oz. drink doesn't weigh 12. oz its how much drink is inside it........................
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the way i look at it every ounce counts. And a 12 oz. drink doesn't weigh 12. oz its how much drink is inside it........................

You could also load only 10 rounds of 40 gr. ammo into your mag. That will have a substantial weight savings also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top