Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2003 3:50:32 PM EDT
Wondering if any SP-1 rifles were made with forward assist? I have seen 2 carbines with FA but not any rifles. Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#1]
All the ones I have seen are with out FA, could be some transition rifles out there with it. Most SP-1s have the cuts in the carrier though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know for sure, but in the SGN I got today there's an ad for NOS Colt complete barreled uppers and the picture shows a FA with the oval, not circular, button.  I also remember an add in there from a few years back from a different company advertising these.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
No. None. Not ever. Some have, however, been retrofitted by their owners (me for one[:D]) with either M16A1 upper receivers or uppers from A2 Sporters (aka Sporter II). If you have seen what looked like SP1 carbines with FAs, they might also have been A2 Sporters (R6420?), which look more like SP1 carbines than A2 Sporter rifles look like SP1s.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No. None. Not ever. Some have, however, been retrofitted by their owners (me for one[:D]) with either M16A1 upper receivers or uppers from A2 Sporters (aka Sporter II). If you have seen what looked like SP1 carbines with FAs, they might also have been A2 Sporters (R6420?), which look more like SP1 carbines than A2 Sporter rifles look like SP1s.
View Quote

Absolutely correct! I'm another one who "updated" his SP1 carbine to A1 configuration, with a later model big hole upper.  Lucked out and got one with a perfect color match for the SP1 lower, so it looks original---but it ain't[:D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
 I also have an SP1A1 though I am unsure of how it got to that configuration...the colors match almost perfectly and the weapon was unfired when I purchased it.  The date of manufacture on the lower indicates 1976...

It's probably the favorite of my collection...with my Costa Mesa 180 running a close second.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
You're [i]sure[/i] it was unfired? Really really [i]really[/i] sure?[>:/]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm sure no Colt SP1's--rifle or carbine--were made with FA. The first ones with FA were the Sporter II's, with A1 sights, which can be retrofitted to an older SP1 lower. If anyone uses the M16 upper to get the FA feature they will have to use an adapter pin to mate the M16 small pivot hole upper to the large hole SP1 lower.

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
 I see guns that are advertised as unfired all the time...they almost never are.  My AR180 was advertised as unfired...that was bull...they guy told me he had checked out the gas system, etc and that there was no fouling or carbon at all.  Liar.  But the SP1 on the other hand was literally brand new, not a single scratch, not a bit of wear ANYWHERE, no impact marks, no NOTHING.  It was like I bought it in 1976, brought it home and forgot about it for almost twenty years.  It is the ONLY "unfired" gun I have ever seen that was truly unfired...with the exception of boxed collector pieces.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
But you're not the original owner who bought it in 1976, am I correct?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 I see guns that are advertised as unfired all the time...they almost never are.  My AR180 was advertised as unfired...that was bull...they guy told me he had checked out the gas system, etc and that there was no fouling or carbon at all.  Liar.  But the SP1 on the other hand was literally brand new, not a single scratch, not a bit of wear ANYWHERE, no impact marks, no NOTHING.  It was like I bought it in 1976, brought it home and forgot about it for almost twenty years.  It is the ONLY "unfired" gun I have ever seen that was truly unfired...with the exception of boxed collector pieces.
View Quote

I promise you, if your rifle was made in 1976 , IT DID NOT LEAVE THE FACTORY WITH A FORWARD ASSIST. I could concieve of an SP1 made just before the changeover to SP2 markings, going out w/a forward assist upper; tho I've never heard of such happening.  But a 1976 piece? Never.  BTW, mine is also '76 production, and came with the standard smooth side upper[:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I just picked up a 6600 that was listed in excellent condition, it had only been fired by the factory. How can I tell you ask? There are no rub marks on the charging handle, zero finish missing from the locking lugs, no marks on the buffer, the hammer face looks like it has never hit the pin. Best damn deal I have ever made! I am on my way out the door to fire it now.[:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top