Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 11/21/2008 5:35:50 PM EDT
I saw a Colt SP 1 carbine (R6001 I think) at my local Cabelas today and am thinking of buying it. I want to make sure it is "correct" though. It is SN 112,xxx marked SP 1. Should it be marked "SP 1 Carbine" or did they not use that word? Is there any difference between a R6000 lower receiver and a R6001 lower receiver?

This is what it has. Please let me know if anyone sees anything wrong.

-SP 1 sn112xxx, 2 position stock, 16 in. ribbed shorty upper marked C MP B on the bottom, Birdcage FH, straight slip ring, straight pistol grip, A1 rear site, CM forge code, bayonet lug, no forward assist, bolt carrier WITH forward assist grooves marked C on other side, bolt marked MPC. Dust cover has rectangle not square mark.

The bolt carrier with FA grooves has me concerned.
I have it on hold until Sat night.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:16:49 PM EDT
Without seeing pictures, your description sounds like it is all correct. None of the SP1 Carbines and only the earliest of SP1's had smooth bolt carriers. All of the Carbines and the vast majority of the SP1 rifles had serrated bolt carriers even though it was close to 1988 before they actually started using the forward assist on them with the introduction of the AR15A2 Sporter II.

The barrel markings on this one indicate it is an early production. Most of them are marked C MP CHROME BORE instead of C MP B.

With the current political climate becoming more ominous I would say buy it if you can afford it. Besides, they aren't making the Colt SP1 or Carbines any more. It can only climb in value.
Top Top