Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2003 6:00:12 PM EDT
This may be a stupid question but, I normaly shoot 69 grain federal gold and 55 grain winchester out of my SPR. I normaly only shoot the 55 Grain at 25M. I only use the 69 grain at 100M or more. My question is will the 55 grain winchester damage the Barrel? I think it should be fine as it is not surplus ammo. The 55 grain I use is the 40rd winchester value pack from walmart. So far I have put 60 rds of the 55 grain and 50rds of 69 grain through the barrel(of course cleaning/breaking in etc). The accuaracy is still sub MOA I just dont want to damage my barrel shooting the cheap ammo. For 25m (indoor range when 100m is closed)I cant justify shooting a $14(per 20rds) box of 69 grain when the 55 grain is $4.00(per 20rds).
Thanks FREE

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Damage it?  Not likely.

However, using the 55gr is akin to filling up a Ferrari's tank with regular gas.

If it was me, I'd only shoot the good stuff through the SPR (and I also wouldn't waste my time at 25m...it was made to shoot so very much farther)

BTW, I wouldn't try M193-spec ammo and expect it to function reliably.  I've seen extraction issues (Q3131A, I believe it was)

Also, please don't cross post this in multiple forums.  That's generally considered a no-no.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I was told the Q3131A had exposed lead at the base.  This in turn can leave lead deposited in the barrel which can affect accuracy and force you to have to clean it out.  Save the SPR for the good ammo, why waste it on the crappy stuff - save that for your plinker.

Also, with a limited barrel life (I think something like 2000 until optimal accuracy starts to fade) on your premium barrel, do you want to waste it blasting away with low grade ammo?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the SPR will only be getting 69 grainers from now on.
   Thanks FREE
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top