Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2002 5:00:00 PM EDT
Good Evening!

I'm somewhat new to these boards (lurking for a long time, just never posted).  I've owned several post ban AR's and am just about finished with my first Pre-Ban M4gery.  With that said, I would like to build a SPR type rifle, but can't find good (true) specifications for this rifle.  And with the search function being down for a while, I can't find anything here either.

Does anyone know the specs of this rifle or have any good pictures?  Any info would be appreciated and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll benefit!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully someone else can post some pictures for you, but the specifications I know are:

Special Purpose Rifle
Caliber: 5.56x45mm
Barrel length/type: 18" heavy SS 1:8 twist
OAL: 39.1"
Weight: 12lbs
Mounting Systems: Full Length Picatinny Railed top half (ARMS #38?) and 3 short rails at the front of the free floating handguard mounted at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock
Sights: Flip up rear and front iron sights

Good luck, post some pictures if you get one built.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If you do a search of topics for SPR or by author MSTN, you should find a couple of threads with pics. HTH
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking for the same thing. This is what I found so far.  Looks like I'll end up building it myself though

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/amu/gallery/firearms/images/SPR00_jpg_jpg.jpg

[edited to show pic]

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#4]
There are a couple of variants of the SPR.  It is still in experimental stages and is undergoing evolution.  

The original SPR is built on a M16A1 lower and a Armalite flattop upper.  It uses an 18" heavy 416 stainless steel Match 1/8 twist barrel (by Douglas, Krieger, or Schneider).  The barrel is attached to the upper using a special barrel nut.  It has a PRI folding front sight.  The rear sight is an A.R.M.S. folding sight.

There are two different triggers being tested on these rifles.  The first is a single-stage Match full auto trigger from Accuracy Speaks.  The other is the Knight's Armament two-stage full auto Match trigger.

The handguard is also from PRI.  It is a free float model made from carbon fiber.  It is reinforced with an extended length A.R.M.S. M1913 MilStd. rail that anchors the handguard with the flattop receiver.  It also uses the ergo grip.  The rifle utilizes another product from PRI:  the PRI M84 charging handle.  It provides an extended handle for charging the rifle with a scope attached.  

An OPS, Inc. suppressor is also available for use with the SPR.  The SPR will use one of two scopes:  the C-More 1.75-7.5x illuminated lightweight scope or the Leupold M3LR 3.5-10x36mm illluminated scope.  The SPR is provided with a 77-grain Sierra Match King nullet made by Black hills expressly for the rifle.

There are also a couple of newer variants. One uses a C-more free-float handguard in place of the PRI and another uses the SIR system from A.R.M.S. as the handguard.  Both utilize a Douglas Premium Match grade barrel and the C-more scope.  Most operators have employed the PVS-17 night sight on a PRI Hi-Lo mount for night operations with the SPR.  There is also discussion of replacing the 5.56mm 77-grain Black Hills round with a new 6.5mm cartridge.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#5]
what makes the barrel nut so special? How is it different from the normal one? Need info.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]

The middle rifle is my version of the SPR, its only difference from the mil-spec version is the scope and the flash hider. military version uses a Leupold scope, ARMS mount and ring, and OPS Inc brake/suppressor mount.  I use this as my 3gun match gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren´t you one selector position short Chen..

My employer is putting together an SPR clone, as close as possible to the original version. He has a nice lower to build it...a Colt M16A1.

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#8]
yea, that is another shortcoming of my rifle. doh!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]

kopfjager6, I like that one!

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The middle rifle is my version of the SPR, its only difference from the mil-spec version is the scope and the flash hider. military version uses a Leupold scope, ARMS mount and ring, and OPS Inc brake/suppressor mount.  I use this as my 3gun match gun.

Impressive collection.  Could you let me know what handguard you used?  Also, is that a true flash supressor, or is it one of the Kurt Custom jobs I keep reading about?

Thanks for the pictures!  I'm looking forward to starting this new project gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Also, is that a true flash supressor, or is it one of the Kurt Custom jobs I keep reading about?

Looks like a Phantom FS to me.  It's a true flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
what kinda break is that on this gun ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The military brake on the SPR is by OPS inc, OPS build this muzzle brake with collar to attach their screw on suppressor.  OPS sell a civilian version of this brake, you can see it at Brownell web site.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
R3E2C MUZZLE BRAKE

"Maximum Recoil Reduction With Reduced Blast
Single, large expansion chamber with forward baffle, traps and redirects muzzle gases to greatly reduce muzzle rise and blast. Dust printing and muzzle rise are all but eliminated. Stainless steel construction for superior resistance to powder corrosion. For all calibers center hole is .030" over bullet diameter. May be gunsmith enlarged to larger diameter. Available with .575"-40 tpi; allows installation on smaller diameter, slim-tapered barrels that require a shallow thread depth to maintain maximum bore to O.D. wall thickness. Exclusive supplier to elite U.S. military forces.
SPECS: 304 stainless steel, polished finish. 2.6" (6.8cm) long. .866" (22mm) and .970" (2.5cm) diameter. Muzzle hole can be enlarged for other calibers. "

From the Brownells website

$115 for a brake, give me a brake

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/stock/3amigo.jpg

can you email the pictures.  they do not appear on my screen.  thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top