Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2017 8:36:48 AM EDT
Hello again,

Another project I did a few months ago, was collecting up original Colt SP1 parts. Once I had everything together (the lower always hurts the most since you're competing with ban state bidders on Gunbroker), I put it all together. Very pleased with the results, and glad I could give new life to another SP1 given how many get stripped down and sold for parts these days.

The only thing that is likely not from a SP1 itself, is the bolt carrier group - this is a new Colt one, but a proper M16 style unit. I don't care much for the half-moon or semi-auto cut carriers. Likewise, the 3-prong was an addition that I thought fitting given the upper is a slabside Colt upper, but I do have the original birdcage as well.

The stripped upper, I received from a buddy of mine, who is a well regarded Armorer at a local gunshop. He had it laying around for years and had no use for it. It had some kind of gunky paint on it, so he gave it to me at no charge. I couldn't believe my eyes when I took some brake cleaner to the paint (it was going to get shipped off for re-anodizing anyways) only to find that it was applied over the untouched anodizing below - I had a brand new upper basically. The upper isn't marked with a "C" anywhere, but I'm not aware of anybody else making a big hole upper, so I will just assume it is original Colt. If anyone has any further information on this, I'd be interested to know!

Enjoy the pictures, my apologies if they are a little dark.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great!

Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:The upper isn't marked with a "C" anywhere, but I'm not aware of anybody else making a big hole upper, so I will just assume it is original Colt. If anyone has any further information on this, I'd be interested to know!
View Quote

Earlier ones weren't marked.  Does it have a sear relief?  If it doesn't, it's a SP1 upper for sure, I don't know of anyone else that did large hole slickside uppers without sear reliefs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Earlier ones weren't marked.  Does it have a sear relief?  If it doesn't, it's a SP1 upper for sure, I don't know of anyone else that did large hole slickside uppers without sear reliefs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You know, I don't think I ever checked for that - I will do so this weekend when I get the safe open again and report back with pictures.

Quoted:
Looks great!

Congrats!
Thank you sir! Quite pleased with it for sure, and it's a great shooter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice,  Looks great. Glad to see another one saved.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top