Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2009 4:14:02 PM EDT
Well, I had an awful roll pin in my DPMS LPK, And the punch slipped. Broke an ear off of the trigger guard.

What are my options? JB Weld? 2 part epoxy?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
New lower?  Old?  What brand?

The lower is or should be 7075 T6 aluminum that's been forged.  It is weldable, tig for best quality I think...  Grind down clean, reanodize

You could always try to contact the manufacturer and see what they are willing to do...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Neither.

There is a company selling a one-piece grip that will cover that section of your lower.  The grip attaches to your lower at the front of the trigger guard and the grip screw.  I forgot the name of the company.  The company sent me an evaluation piece and found it comfortable and handy.  I honestly cannot remember the name of the company or grip.  Maybe someone will know.

You mean the Stark grip? I'm not sure where to find it but that sounds like what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The lower is or should be 7075 T6 aluminum that's been forged.  It is weldable, tig for best quality I think...  Grind down clean, reanodize

You could always try to contact the manufacturer and see what they are willing to do...

Are you ready to cry? It is a brand spanking new Spike's Tactical

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Glue it back on and get a grip that has a built in TG like the magpul maid with winter guard.
like so.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Glue it back on and get a grip that has a built in TG like the magpul maid with winter guard.

like so.

http://www.calguns.net/OLL/OLL30.jpg
You probably already know this but just in case you don't. That magazine release looks to need a few more turns before you call it good. Depress the release button with the eraser end of a pencil until it is compressed into the receiver and turn the other side of the release until the thread portion of the release is flush with the button.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

7075 is not regarded in the world of metalurgy as a weldable alloy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
like so.
That magazine release looks to need a few more turns before yo call it good.

Its a California mag release that locks the mag in, and prevents it from coming out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

like so.

You probably already know this but just in case you don't. That
magazine release looks to need a few more turns before you call it
good. Depress the release button with the eraser end of a pencil until
it is compressed into the receiver and turn the other side of the
release until the thread portion of the release is flush with the
button.

Its a California mag release that locks the mag in, and prevents it from coming out.

Gotcha, I'm an idiot. Hence the shorty mag. I guess I take for granted the limitations that aren't imposed on me. Sorry for being a know-it-all Jeeps.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]
No problem gear head. But I have a secret tool that imitates the regular mag button and is magnetic so it stays in.
So im legal but can drop mags with the best of them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No problem gear head. But I have a secret tool that imitates the regular mag button and is magnetic so it stays in.

So who makes that device? When you don't have the restriction you don't go looking for the fix.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, I had an awful roll pin in my DPMS LPK, And the punch slipped. Broke an ear off of the trigger guard.

Man that sucks on so many levels.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

on a Spikes oh man, my spikes lower just cried for your spikes lower. Yeah, I would go with the Stark industries grip, it will cover it up just fine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
well, I emailed Spikes.

I told them it was totally my fault, their receiver was machined perfectly. I asked them if there was any way to send my broken receiver back to them and get a replacement at a discounted rate.

I do not expect them to do it, and there is no reason in the world that they should. It was totally my fault.

But what have I got to lose? If nothing else, at least I got to tell them that I was pleased with the quality of their receiver.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a quick note......... Always have the trigger guard in place when you are putting in the pin, an it is always better to use padded pliers to get the pin in. Just squeeze them and the pin will go in.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have always "pinched" my roll pins some to make it easier.  Many years of doing it this way with ZERO issues.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe if it were me I'd buy a new one and start over, live and learn, I bet you never do that again.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Been there done that myself. I sanded, cleaned,degreased, then used a 2 part epoxy.  After drying, refinished with duracoat.

Ordereda miad grip and good to go since.

Should we sticky a "what to do if you break off trigger guard ear"?  It seems to get asked once a week, and even I asked the same question 3 years ago when I did it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to dump the lower, I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll bid $51, Bob....................

If it was me, I won't think much of it.  Besides getting the pistol grips that cover up that area, I would just try to install the guard as best as I could.  There might be enough of the pin on the other side of the "ear" to keep the guard in place.  It would be your beater rife, so you won't feel too bad putting the first scratch on it.

Live and learn.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bid $51, Bob....................

If it was me, I won't think much of it.  Besides getting the pistol grips that cover up that area, I would just try to install the guard as best as I could.  There might be enough of the pin on the other side of the "ear" to keep the guard in place.  It would be your beater rife, so you won't feel too bad putting the first scratch on it.

Live and learn.

I'd be heartbroken - kinda like when I broke off a tap in a lower doing the takedown pin modification.  Men, I messed up that lower somethng terrible.  It's GTG, just don't use it in the rain - as the magic marker over all areas that lost the finish might was away and reveal the totality of the destruction.  Acid used to eat the tap out also ate mucho finish.  But hey - it works!

Patch it best you can, get the grip and call it a day.

Now that barrel nut I toasted . . . live and learn.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean the Stark grip? I'm not sure where to find it but that sounds like what you're talking about.

Thank you.  Yes, that's it.

Here is the link.
www.starkequipment.com/Pages/main.html

Was that created to "solve" this particular problem of broken ears, or is it simply an added bonus?

Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Have done that myself over the years, just like stated above, clean it good and use a 2 part epoxy, recoat and use a MagPul grip or what ever you want.

Its an easy fix so there is no need to dump the lower.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#25]
JB weld works. Ask me how I know. It's been two years and still going strong. The lower that I broke is actually my go to gun.

Just clean it, apply the JB and let harden, sand down excess, mask off and spray with some black paint.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Let me say something about Spikes Customer service. I had one of their lowers that they had forgotten to drill the hole in the lower for the bolt catch release. I sent them an email and they told me in fewer words that i was shit out of luck and it must have been a quality control issue or one of their machines must have been out of wack that day. So i asked what size drill bit i would need to just do it myself, and have yet to hear a response from them and the last email was sent to themabout 3 months ago, i finally gave up and caught the bolt gun disease so now that lower is just a decorative piece.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Let me say something about Spikes Customer service. I had one of their lowers that they had forgotten to drill the hole in the lower for the bolt catch release. I sent them an email and they told me in fewer words that i was shit out of luck and it must have been a quality control issue or one of their machines must have been out of wack that day. So i asked what size drill bit i would need to just do it myself, and have yet to hear a response from them and the last email was sent to themabout 3 months ago, i finally gave up and caught the bolt gun disease so now that lower is just a decorative piece.

Ummmm.......WHAT?

I'd be cramming that right back up their ass until it was fixed! I almost find this lack of give a shit hard to believe given the experience I've had with them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Option A;  Since we're bidding on junk, I'll go $70. The Stark grip is the fix for this, I'll be glad to do it if'n you won't.

Option B;  You know you don't want to live with a crappy patch, start over.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I just finished my first lower assembly and didn't even have to deal with a potential broken "ear"......................I used a MIAD with the front strap/winter trigger guard option.  No pin to pound/squeeze in, and no risk of breaking the ear.

Quoted:

Have you tried their forum here?  Tom is usually pretty good about responding in a timely manner and helping customers out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=282
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#30]
No reply from Spike's, but I really didn't expect one. As I said, it was my fault.

I think I will more than likely put the receiver up for sale. I am VERY fussy when I build guns, and it would bug the heck out of me just knowing that it was broken. Plus, I prefer the standard A2 grip.

Other than the broken ear, the Spike's receiver is great I put it on my LAR A2 upper, and there was NO slop at all! No need for the rubber plug in the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Spikes Stripped Lower with broken ear

Up for sale in the EE. JohnOBonno has the high offer so far.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So who makes that device? When you don't have the restriction you don't go looking for the fix.

that looks like the bullet button.   Riflegear.com has them  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top