Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 11:04:33 AM EDT
Assembled a pair of Rock Rivers lowers yesterday and all went well except, on one of them, the bolt catch does not engage very well. Any ideas?  I have built 3 other lowers and never had any trouble until this one.

Thanks,
Eric

***Update

It seems that the parts kit included a full length buffer spring.  I just did not notice the spring was different or bother to check.  I assumed the parts kit had the correct parts.  So we'll get another spring and get them working properly.

Thanks for the help!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Bum part, using an empty mag to verify function, manual moving part in the lower-wont come up enough to block the bolt?  Look for drag, a burr on the slot(s) that restrict parts movement....
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That was my first thought as well, so I popped the roll pin back out, but all looked well, although I did not mic it.  I reinstalled and put a little CLP in there and it helped a little.  I think it might work in and work better after some use, I have heard that Rock River lowers are tight in other places, but this is his first black rifle and I wanted it to perform flawlessly.  I am not sure what else to do about it.  Maybe a new bolt catch from the supplier?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem with my gun.  After firing it 10-20 times, it starting catching fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If I'm missing something in your post, please forgive me up front...

Have you tried a different magazine, one with a NEW spring?

I had trouble with mine because the mag spring wasn't strong enogh to lift the catch properly.

Just a thought...

--Otter
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok  I now have 200 rds through it and it still wont lock.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
The magazine follower is what pushes your bolt catch up. So have you tried different magazines? The catch on mine seems to fit pretty loose in the slot. If yours is tight then perhaps you could sand it down a little where it fits into the slot where the pin goes through holding it in place. Better yet just get a new bolt catch. I am betting it is the magazine though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem in my Bushmaster, but only with some magazines (even though they work fine in the Colt).  I measured the magazine "catch" part of the bolt catch (that little protrusion in front where the mag follower would push up), and sure enough, the one in my Bushmaster was tad short when compared to the one in the Colt.  Ordered a new on from DPMS and fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
***Update

It seems that the parts kit included a full length buffer spring.  I just did not notice the spring was different or bother to check.  I assumed the parts kit had the correct parts.  So we'll get another spring and get them working properly.

Thanks for the help!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top