Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/22/2003 4:33:05 PM EDT
I sent an IM to Quarterbore and he told me to post the contents here.

I was wondering with a 9mm ar15 is the upper special in any way compared to a standard 5.56mm upper? Reason I ask is because I was considering a 9mm buildup using one of those SOCOM mfg side cocking uppers along with some other goodies. From looking at the Rock River arms page regarding these uppers it appears they dont have a forward assist and a slight design variation from the standard 5.56 upper. This raised a red flag and made me realize that this style bolt carrier might now work in the SOCOM upper. Does anyone have a clarification if the internal specs for the 9mm and 5.56 upper are the same? Has anyone out there used this SOCOM upper as their 9mm setup? If you have did you modify anything or leave it as is from the factory?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:46:27 PM EDT
AR/M16 uppers are the same (except for the goofy Colt political correct large pin/small pin BS)...... Only difference is the advertised 9mm uppers on the market do not have a hole bored to pass a gas into the upper, and no forward assist, no A2 brass deflector. You can use existing 223 upper, it will just have the extras on it.... my 9mm is on a flat top, the assist hole has nothing in it, already had it laying around, did ot want to spend extra for a true 9mm upper.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:54:32 AM EDT
I have not seen the SOCOM uppers--only the DPMS side-chargers. Do you have a link to any information or a supplier?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:58:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bismark77: I have not seen the SOCOM uppers--only the DPMS side-chargers. Do you have a link to any information or a supplier?
View Quote
[url]http://www.socommfg.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:39:00 AM EDT
I believe one of the vendors that was at Gunstock does side cocker conversions of any upper. Not sure if you are interested in that or just want one of those SOCOM uppers. :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:39:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hoplite: I sent an IM to Quarterbore and he told me to post the contents here. From looking at the Rock River arms page regarding these uppers it appears they dont have a forward assist and a slight design variation from the standard 5.56 upper. This raised a red flag and made me realize that this style bolt carrier might now work in the SOCOM upper.
View Quote
9mm bolts don't have the forward assist notches in the bolt. After ramping over 80 bolt's, at least I haven't seen any.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:24:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By joeblack:
Originally Posted By Hoplite: I sent an IM to Quarterbore and he told me to post the contents here. From looking at the Rock River arms page regarding these uppers it appears they dont have a forward assist and a slight design variation from the standard 5.56 upper. This raised a red flag and made me realize that this style bolt carrier might now work in the SOCOM upper.
View Quote
9mm bolts don't have the forward assist notches in the bolt. After ramping over 80 bolt's, at least I haven't seen any.....
View Quote
I realized that but was noting the differences I noticed in the external appearance. And for jafo I like the Socom style since they do not require the charging handle to remain in the upper. There is a little block back there to close up that hole and I feel this looks much better than having both the charging handle and the side cocking knob.
Top Top