Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2004 3:59:22 PM EDT
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with SOCOM MFG AR15 Diamond Series Receivers?
They also now make a upper receiver as well. Thank you for looking.
www.socommfg.com/
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
thats pretty fancy
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
is that steel?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of their side charging uppers and find it to be a pretty neat alternative.  I had a problem with the finish when the upper first arrived, but I called Ernie at SOCOM MFG and he took care of me no questions asked.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with SOCOM MFG AR15 Diamond Series Receivers?
They also now make a upper receiver as well. Thank you for looking.www.socommfg.com/images/lefts.jpg

oooooo....shiny!

Anybody got a source?  I'll get one and build it and give a report if anyone knows where I can get one.  Need a new lower anyway!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I know brownells.com used to have them... Not sure if they still do though.. I think it's a new catalog number. THe yellow one (56 I believe) had them in the first couple pages. I don't see them on the www site though
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
SOCOM Billet Receiver

They're a little on the pricy side.  I still want one for my lower collection though.  Anyone know what Brownells charges for one of these on a dealer account?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, I just looked, they're on the first page of the new catalog.

Item 100-000-179 250 for the black one.. If you want to search their site that should bring up all of them on the page.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
That's different.  They should make one for a 308, the beefiness would look more at home.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I would be interested in one of their uppers if they made it more conventially. I like the standard charging handle, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe they do make the normal type.. I'm not real sure so don't hold me to it but I'm pretty sure I've seen them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got one in red......it's my daughter's Victoria Secret Special.....we have about 4000 rounds thru it...including a whole lot of 22's with a Ciener conversion....works great not so heavy...

The trigger adjustment is still a mystery....no matter how I adjust it...it seems the same.....but it has been completely reliable...

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone used the SOCOM upper?

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the upper and my only complaint is the Bolt release was interfering a bit with the upper.  To release the bolt I had to really press hard or slam it a bit.  In the end I had to file on the bolt catch to get it working properly.  Not a big deal but I'd rather not have to remove and replace the bolt catch pin since its kind of a PITA.

On the other hand the side charging feature is worth the effort and this upper has a brass deflector and a dust cover that some of the other side chargers do not.  

As far as where to buy, I bought directly from the manufacturer.  Maybe he won't sell lowers direct but he was happy to bill the upper to me.  Write an e-mail to [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#16]
They work well for a bench type or hunting gun.

Sharp corners and thick edges make them not the best idea for a run and gun, shtf, defensive, or all purpose gun.

Well made and sturdy, with some neat assembly features.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I am currently building on one.
I bought it simply for the looks and it will take some work till it meets all my reqiuirements.
Heavy?  Yes, but also extememely solid.
The finish apperars very thin and is uneven in some spots.  I don't think the black one I have is even really anodized, I could have done a better job with some alumninum black.  After I engrave it I will send it off to be hard anodized.
The forward lip of the mag well will have to be milled about 3/8" at a 45deg angle to accept Beta C-mags.
Has some great flat spots to engrave on, pity  the manufacturer found it necessary to use the two largest ones to engrave its info. Don't know exactly why they engraved on both sides of the mag well (in 3/16" letters) and some of the stuff is engraved again on the grip mounting stub.
The springs and detents mount a little differently but a good idea, you don't have to worry about the rear takedown detent spring flying off when mounting or detaching your stock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know who else stocks these? The company and Brownells is out of stock on the silver ones.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Anyone know who else stocks these? The company and Brownells is out of stock on the silver ones.

Check with these guyswww.carricozarmory.com  I usually see them have the SOCOM lowers at the local shows.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top