Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 10:14:20 PM EDT
I'm just a civilian and just want to know which type (3- point, single point, etc) of sling would be good for "all around use".  Good shooting sling that I can use at the range but match the "battle rifle" genre.  Any brands/ PICTURES/ comments/ websites would be GREATLY appreciated.   BTW, this is going on a M4 w/RAS II, VLTOR clubfoot carbine stock, want to use front rail mounted sling swivel and preferably the rear swivel in the stock.  The RAS II floats the barrel so I want to keep the sling off of it.

Also how can you take off that sheet metal plate located between the front sight post and the handguard?  thanks guys.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
First question, I like single points mounted on the plate between the stock and lower. I made my own with some tubular webbing and 550cord. Works just fine and quite useful.

second, take off your muzzle device, knock out the three pins in the front sight base, slide off the plate. Reverse.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer 2 point side mounted slings.  Typically involve drilling in to teh stock and hand gaurd and getting some sling studs.  I find 3 point slings too busy and like single point slings limit your carry options.  No work carry for example.  Just what I prefer though.  My suggestion is to make your own and try all of them out to see what works best for you.  They are very cheap to make.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a pic of my Bushy A2 Carbine, which now has a 6 pos stock, with a CQB solutions SOP 3 point sling.  The sling is wider than most, is very comfortable, easy to adjust quickly, and fits the weapon very well.  When I purchased mine I got the "deployment package" which allows me to transfer the sling to any A2/A3/CAR configuration with the supplied adapters.  I have found recently that the sling does ride much better on the CAR stock than on the A2, not that it was bad on the A2 mind you.

Sarge

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Good shooting sling that I can use at the range...

This requirement usually precludes the three point and most other "tactical" slings.  The only "tactical" requirement for a sling is so if you drop the rifle for a handgun transition, it hangs vertical and out of the way.  A normal two point sling will accomplish this, but you need a top/side mount swivel particularly at the rear.  This can be augmented with a single point sling to get the "tactical" aspect.

Take a look at these offerings:  www.tacticalintervention.com/rifleslings.html

The quick cuff sling might not be what you want, but the slip cuff may be a better match.  

If you have specific questions on those, please ask.  Drop me a line as well to get my attention and I can post some pics.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I get hung up too easily with a 3-point sling, I feel like I'm in the middle of a fishing knot.
I use a single point sling that detaches both from the weapon and from me in a hurry. It isn't for everyone but I haven't found anything better for myself.

+1

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=168249
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I get hung up too easily with a 3-point sling, I feel like I'm in the middle of a fishing knot.
I use a single point sling that detaches both from the weapon and from me in a hurry. It isn't for everyone but I haven't found anything better for myself.

+2.  I bought a SpectreGear MOUT sling from someone on the EE, and am really happy with it.  It lets me shoot from the off-side easily, and when I let go it drops perfectly vertical, muzzle down.  I also like the quick detach feature.  For casual use, it's good to take the rifle off without having to wiggle out of the sling, for emergencies it's nice to know that if the rifle gets hung up on something and you need to get out of it in a hurry (ie to avoid drowning or burning) then you can get out with the click of a button.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies everyone.... Just as I suspected,  there is a myriad of choices (sigh)  I guess I'm leaning towards the "3 point" setup.  Casual shooting, but good to go if you need to go.

edited to add: That slip-cuff sling looks really appealing too..... AAARRRRRHGGHHH!!!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top