Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2003 5:27:58 PM EDT
I know that the difference between the SIR Commercial and the Military version is that the Military version requires the removal of the delta ring.  But is there any advantages or disadvantages to either the Commercial or the Military version?  Which is better, which is worse, or is the difference just preference?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the C version but originally wanted the M version, thinking the M version was stronger.  After installing the C version, seeing how the yoke attaches below the barrel nut made me realise it's just as strong as the M version.

To answer your question - It's probably mainly a personal preference type of thing which model we prefer.  I do think the M version has cleaner lines though [:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the C version.
If you ever need to replace/remove the SIR, you could put on the old handguards without any difficulty.

Can't do that with the M version.

In all actuality, the C version is better for the military for the above reason, especially considering damage/loss.
Those units authorized to use this mount may not wish to make a modification that the armorer has to repair before turning the weapon in.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Of the two models........the military has apparently procured some use of the "C" model and passed on the "M".  Go figure!  I can certainly see why though.  The civie version is just as robust yet easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#4]
As said above, both mount identically the same way. The only differences is that the civilian model will allow you to go back to regular handguards, should you at some point decide to do that. Other than that, the only difference is simply cosmetic. The civilian model has the cutout area for the delta ring, the military one doesnt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I obtained my "C" model as a tag on to a military unit purchase.  Takes a special tool (a penny) to install.  Having the armorer dick with the M model makes no sense to me.

I've since removed the SIR System since I don't need to hang a zillion things on the handguards.  Unless you do I'd not get either model.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got the "M" version.  I like the MilSpec appearance and feel.  As some others have noted, if you want to remove the "M" version, it would be a little more of a project to install the handgaurds.  I have two complete uppers, one Colt Carbine stock model, one SIR "M" upper.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p1f1253ba67da61d0dfb315361e7b6a07/fb739ea7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p0b1fe0dbf4054cd88f0ad32cee77ef18/fb739f27.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC you can still go back to regular handguards after installing the M model SIR. You just have to purchase a new delta ring.

Correct?

I think the M model looks better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IIRC you can still go back to regular handguards after installing the M model SIR. You just have to purchase a new delta ring.

Correct?

I think the M model looks better.
View Quote

With the M model, you do have to re-install the delta ring to go back to regular hand guards. That means removing the barrel. Not in and of itself a huge task. Just not something I would want to do very often.

If you think you will want to change back and forth between SIR and standard hand guards, get the C.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]
The hardest thing about installing the C-model is getting the original carbine handguards off.  And the forward sling swivel has to be cut off as well.

Can be installed in less time than it takes to read the messages in this thread.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And the forward sling swivel has to be cut off as well.
View Quote

[?]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
IMHO the only difference between the C and M models are about an inch and a half of plastic more on the M model.

Also, the "M" model does not denote Milspec although that was ARMS intention in the build.  Both versions are Milspec(concerning rail demensions)  THe Army bought the "C" version.

And there is no difference in the feel or look other than the slightly more elongated polymer handguard - delta ring.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The hardest thing about installing the C-model is getting the original carbine handguards off.  And the forward sling swivel has to be cut off as well.

Can be installed in less time than it takes to read the messages in this thread.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Are you talking about side sling swivel or below the bbl. mounted swivel?  You don't have to remove either if you install the polymer ower portion by hooking one side into the grooves then slapping the other into place and sliding to the grooves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top