Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:46:38 PM EDT
Since i can't purchase a real FN SCAR Heavy 7.62 x 51 right now, what is the closest thing in that size?

I believe that has a efficient gas piston shorter than the AK but of the same style.  The new M14's are awesome, but they are not modern in any sense.

Some links to advanced rifles..

Defense Review

HK 416

Thanks very much, Jeff
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Since i can't purchase a real FN SCAR Heavy 7.62 x 51 right now, what is the closest thing in that size?

I believe that has a efficient gas piston shorter than the AK but of the same style.  The new M14's are awesome, but they are not modern in any sense.

Defense Review

HK 416

Thanks very much, Jeff

Oddly enough, the SR-25/AR-10 is probably the most 'advanced' system readily available in the US...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What I like about the SCAR-H ARM-H, (ARM is the official designation for the FN SCAR Trial entries) is that there truly is no modular 7.62NATO rifle. RobArms has plans for a 7.62NATO XCR, but again, no availability currently. There's really nothing available that comes close to the concept of the ARM-H or XCR-H at this point.

ETA: As a hold over, I'd consider an AR10 like the one bigbore posted above.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Defense Review

HK 416

Thanks very much, Jeff

Currently there are two weapons that have close to SCAR specs because they are a result of the SCAR trials and are participated and competed against FN for the contract

Cobb Manufacturing MCR 100
MCR-100 Series Rifle Calibers:  9mm ~ 45ACP ~ .223/5.56mm ~ 7.62x39mm ~ .50 Beowulf ~ 6.5 Grendel
http://www.cobb50.com/scarL.JPG

Robinson Arms XCR
5.56 - 6.8 - 7.62x39 - 7.62 NATO
http://www.robarm.com/XCR-L%20CQC%20LS%20copy.jpg

The AR10 is more of a typical static assualt rifle. SCAR weapons are modular and multi-purpose
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Defense Review

HK 416

Thanks very much, Jeff

Currently there are two weapons that have close to SCAR specs because they are a result of the SCAR trials and are participated and competed against FN for the contract

MCR-100 Series Rifle Calibers:  9mm ~ 45ACP ~ .223/5.56mm ~ 7.62x39mm ~ .50 Beowulf ~ 6.5 Grendel
www.cobb50.com/scarL.JPG

Robinson Arms XCR
www.robarm.com/XCR-L%20CQC%20LS%20copy.jpg

The AR10 is more of a typical static assualt rifle. SCAR weapons are modular and multi-purpose

Again there's the availability issue. The XCR is set to come out soon, but I have my heart set on the ARM-H which is set for release (civilian variants) in late 2006 or early 2007. The Cobb looks very interesting, but I'd imagine the low production keeps the price atleast twice what the XCR is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the feedback.

The XCR From Robinson arms seems perfect.  Made in the USA as well, now its just a waiting game - how long?!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Meeper on the FAL files does a pretty cool Quick change barrel and caliber change conversion for the FAL.  Some guys have one Fal with 5 calibers.  Thought I would mention it for the budget minded. COBB looks cool.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback.

The XCR From Robinson arms seems perfect.  Made in the USA as well, now its just a waiting game - how long?!

The COBB and XCR are the only SCAR trials weapons for sale, or soon to be on sale in the case of the XCR. There are rumors of FN selling their SCAR entry to the public but who knows for sure.

But if you want a real SCAR weapon those are your only options for the time being.

But if any .308 with a rail will do there are plenty of options out there currently. It's a matter of how important the SCAR specs are to you
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]

But if any .308 with a rail will do there are plenty of options out there currently. It's a matter of how important the SCAR specs are to you

Thanks for the clarification, the key SCAR specs for me are gas piston, advanced rail design, low recoil, high performance, etc..

The COB is nice, but the 308 version looks nothing like the 5.56 brown beauty.

The DSA is great, like Demarcus said.. with its gas pison, FN running gear just like the ARM-H.

http://www.dsarms.com/images/sa58osw.gif

Compared to the new FN ARM-H, its laking the modularity, modern design, ambi features, light weight, nothing major from a functional perspective,   i don't think that ARM-H going to be that much different.  So now, compare the DSA with the Robonson Arms 308 - i wish there was more information available!

Thanks, Jeff

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Defense Review

HK 416

Thanks very much, Jeff

www.cobb50.com/scarL.JPG

Robinson Arms XCR
www.robarm.com/XCR-L%20CQC%20LS%20copy.jpg

I wouldn't mind an XCR...probably bloody espensive...what's their site?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Base price on the XCR is going to be 1299.99.

Once you add the folding stock, and front and rear sights its going to be about 1600 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
The SA58 OSW from DS is over $2000 when its all dolled up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#14]
wish they came out with a SCAR semi-auto
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#15]

The new M14's are awesome, but they are not modern in any sense.

What is wrong with them?
They are tested, tried, and true - but they don't have enough light rails I guess.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

www.adcofirearms.com/images/ar10_carbine4.jpg

That's the same one from 10-8 Forums isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a quote of a direct e-mail I received from FNHUSA concerning the SCAR/ARM rifles. Quoted from THIS thread.

Quoted:

We hope to have a civilian model of the (SCAR-ARM) by sometime in the year 2007.
SCAR is the Program in which the guns are being built for SOCOM.
The correct designation is ARM (meaning Advanced Rifle-Modular)
Yes, both the Light and the Heavy ARM's have a polymer lower.
Don't know how many have been produced.
The correct designation is PS-90 and FS-2000.
You should see the PS-90 after October, 2005 and
the FS-2000 inthe early part of 2006.  I hope that I was able to answer all your
questions.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 8:46 AM
Subject: FW: FN SCAR entry.

My questions to FN were;

"Do you have any plans to release a civilian SCAR rifle?"

"Does it have an official designation, or is it to remain the SCAR rifle?"

"Is it true you will be using polymer lower recievers?"

"Do you have any current production numbers?"

"What are the official designations for the civilian P90's and F2000's and when are they dated for release?"

So it's official name will be the ARM's rifle.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Where can i find this pistol grip?  it looks totally awesome, possibly fold down.

Thanks, Jeff

http://home.comcast.net/~jcheck10/scar.jpg
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I found this on the 10-8 forums.

SIG SAPR (SCAR H)

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't even know SIG had an entry. I wonder if Swiss Arms had anything to do with it, or if SIG is actually venturing out on their own from Swiss Arms with their general design.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#21]
What?  The FN SCAR rifle has a polymer lower?  They should call it the FN plasticPOS.  I don't do plastic guns.  I can understand a polymer pocket pistol that is basically disposable for CCW,  but IMO a war rifle should be metal.  Oh yeah, I guess plastic is OK for airsoft guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What?  The FN SCAR rifle has a polymer lower?  They should call it the FN plasticPOS.  I don't do plastic guns.  I can understand a polymer pocket pistol that is basically disposable for CCW,  but IMO a war rifle should be metal.  Oh yeah, I guess plastic is OK for airsoft guns.

The upper is still aluminum. If it had a polymer upper, I'd laugh, but a polymer lower isn't a big deal at all. All it does is save weight and time which is a benefit to the user in the end. Besides, one would probably have to try his hardest to cause structural damage to it. In my opinion, a polymer lower does not make a weapon system a POS.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Where can i find this pistol grip?  it looks totally awesome, possibly fold down.

Thanks, Jeff

home.comcast.net/~jcheck10/scar.jpg

That pistol grip is for sale on the EE I believe... Its a bipod as well if I'm remembering correctly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Go read bigbore's Glock 21 torture test, which is probably archived in the handguns section. That thread gave my opinion of polymer use in firearms a serious reality check.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#25]
That Cobb rifle looks pretty damn sweet up close.  Anyone have any info on future availability and/or pricing?  Thanks!

Will
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top