Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2007 5:58:09 PM EDT
If I register one of my AR15 recievers as an SBR and have more than one SBR upper to go onto it, can I still have my other AR15's that are not registered or would the ATF say that I had intent to construct an unregistered SBR just by having the additional uppers, even though I would have no intention of ever putting the SBR uppers on the unregistered recievers. I'm sure there is an answer here on the forum somewhere, I just cant find it.

Thanks in advance,
John
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
BATFE frowns on it. Constructive Possession is a no-no.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
BATFE frowns on it. Constructive Possession is a no-no.

CRAP! Are you serious!?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always been under the impression that you were good to go with the extra uppers.

Not sure how it could be considered "constructive posession" if you have a legal SBR...
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I read something similiar to CC's reply I believe somewhere on quarterbore which is why I'm asking here. I would like to register one of my recievers but want to have different uppers to use with it, But since I have other ar's, It's not worth the $200 dollars for me, just have one SBR upper in possesion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I'm gonna have about 3 SBR uppers but I'm also gonna have two 20" rifles and 1 SPR as well. I dunno if I'm gonna have extra SBR uppers or not but I would like to later on get a short 9mm or .22 upper for one of my SBRs...I wouldnt wanna get in trouble though!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Heres the link to one of the places that got me wondering:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-108551.html

And a quote from the forum:
"ATF goes so far as to say that if you own an M16 and an AR-15, you can possess one <16" upper for the M16, but if you own two <16" upppers, you are in possession of an unregistered SBR.
The definition of a firearm in section 5845 of the NFA includes a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length. An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches) barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a violation of the NFA"
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't fit with a letter I have from the ATFE on this very question, what they told me was simple: no "unassigned" lowers.

Complete SBR & complete AR: fine.

Complete SBR with extra SBR uppers, and complete AR or ARs: fine.

Complete SBR & extra SBR upper, complete AR & an extra assembled lower with no upper to go on it: "You're in a heap 'o trouble, boy."

Which makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see a charge of constructive possession if no SBR'd lower is around.  But it doesn't have a leg to stand on if you do.  Of course you intend to construct.  On your stamped lower.  They would have to prove otherwise.  Of course that's my own theory.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Doesn't fit with a letter I have from the ATFE on this very question, what they told me was simple: no "unassigned" lowers.

Complete SBR & extra SBR upper, complete AR & an extra assembled lower with no upper to go on it: "You're in a heap 'o trouble, boy."

Which makes sense.

Ok thats what I wanted to know. Thanks!

[/hijack]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Which makes sense.

+1.

As long as you don't have any lowers with no uppers, along with extra SBR uppers, you are okay.  

The ATF would have to prove that you intended to make an SBR without paying the tax, which is very hard to do when you have an SBR that you paid the tax and did the paperwork on.  You've proved you have intent to follow the law by having legit SBR.  (if this all makes sense)
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I spoke to an ATF agent here in mpls.  here is what he told me---you can have multiple sbr uppers to fit one SBR lower,  just don't have any other lowers laying around.   I'm still waiting for an official letter outlining these rules.  He also told me that if I wanted to cover my ass i should send a follow up letter to the ATF every time I bought an upper to use with my one registered lower---it might alleviate the problems of explaining 5 SBR uppers with 1 sbr lower and a safe full of class 1 ARs and a few extra lowers.  once again I am waiting for an official letter to store in my safe
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, sounds like a little common sense should go a long way!(I Hope??)
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#13]
thats why i own a MGI  QCB upper receiver and 3 different bbls in 2 calibers
www.mgimilitary.com
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I spoke to an ATF agent here in mpls.  here is what he told me---you can have multiple sbr uppers to fit one SBR lower,  just don't have any other lowers laying around.   I'm still waiting for an official letter outlining these rules.  He also told me that if I wanted to cover my ass i should send a follow up letter to the ATF every time I bought an upper to use with my one registered lower---it might alleviate the problems of explaining 5 SBR uppers with 1 sbr lower and a safe full of class 1 ARs and a few extra lowers.  once again I am waiting for an official letter to store in my safe

That sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
You have have a million SBR uppers to place on your one registered lower. If you have an unregistered lower in addition, just make sure you have another +16" upper & have it installed on your unregistered lower at all times until you pay an additional $200 tax for each subsequent SBR when you realize there cannot be only one
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Not that one would want to be a test case but I am very doubtful a "constructive intent" charge would stick (in the case of a person owning a registered lower and multiple uppers unless it was attached to other more serious and clearcut charges.

Bomber

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top