Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2005 2:04:54 PM EDT
I just found out that Knights was just awarded the contract for the Semi Auto sniper system.

We (82nd ABN)got the email today, so if this is old news, just ignore it.

FREE
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations to KAC

That is one awesome system.

And I guess got tweaked to be better yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
id like to congratulate Cavarms too. according to Col. Lutz their SASS stock atarts life as a cav arms stock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What was wrong with the M14 and a scope on it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Its a poor scope platform, inaccurate (by comparison-the SR25 shoots 1/2 MOA) parts are no longer in the system and armorers are no longer trained on the platform.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Dear Santa,

I've been a really really really good boy this year....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The M14 is a fine weapon, but it has a few shortcomings:
1.)  Maintaining accuracy, especially with rough handling, takes more effort
2.)  Different manual of arms than the M16.  The KAC SR-25 is very similar, so not a lot of retraining is necessary
3.)  From a distance, the SR-25/AR-10/DPMS/Whatever LOOKS like an M16.  The enemy is less likely to target the guy with a different looking gun.  The enemy would know that the guy with the M14 is a bad-ass sniper, so take him out first if you get the chance.
4.)  Mounting a scope on an M14 is not as easily done as an SR-25
5.)  Modularity.  It is very easy to add/remove items to the SR-25 with a rail system.  I don't think that a rail system really exists for the M14 except for the Sage or Troy stock (both systems are very heavy I believe.)

It isn't really a knock on the M14, it just isn't setup to fulfill the needed role.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea I work with the guy on the far right.

He is the DIV Master Gunner, and the person that told me about KAC winning the contract.

FREE

Quoted:
Jeez... thats cool!

photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/SASS-1_1.jpg

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Pay attention people. THE BIG NEWS is NOT the gun. Look at that mag. It's a dedicated steel 7.62 mag designed for the AR15 style retention system. That makes all the difference IMO.

Simon
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Pay attention people. THE BIG NEWS is NOT the gun. Look at that mag. It's a dedicated steel 7.62 mag designed for the AR15 style retention system. That makes all the difference IMO.

Simon

Had the magazine been a problem?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simon

Please explain more. As far as I know KAC has always made their own .308 magazines.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

1) Old tech, poor ergonomics (hunting-rifle-with-a-mag design)

2) Less accurate due to gas-piston operating system and barreled-reciever-in-(ugh-WOOD)-stock design. Requires glass-bedding, and accuracy degrades as wood stock expands/contracts. AR operating system in the SR-25, combined with a reciever-supported design (a/o stock-bedded-reciever) allows for more accuracy.

3) AR-pattern weapon builds on familiarity with the M16 - everything works 'the same'

4) Much wider selection of accessories

The M14, all in all, was 'What the Garand should have been' - While it would have been a show-stopper in WWII, it was beyond it's time when adopted, and had one of the shortest lives as a standard-issue weapon in US history...

The only reason to deploy M14s in active service today is that they are allready paid for...

What SASS seems to be is a PSG-1 grade weapon - an entirely different ballpark from the warmed-over-M14-with-scope that seems to be getting some use here-and-there to fill the role of a 'designated marksman' weapon (a/o a true sniper rifle)...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simon

Please explain more. As far as I know KAC has always made their own .308 magazines.

Hopefully Simon will clue us in to what he's talking about, because I must be missing something.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Simon

Hopefully Simon will clue us in to what he's talking about, because I must be missing something.

+1

SR25's have always had their own magazines.  Did they change magazines/magazine designs with the SASS/XM110?   I guess ARM-H / XM110 magazine commonality would have been too much to ask
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top