Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2002 7:33:07 AM EDT
Does anybody have any comment on the Russian Cobra holosight?

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/kobra2.html
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you will use the search function and you will find 9 threads on the Kobra sight.  Its a very basic dot sight at a very basic price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I put one on my AK.  If adjusted properly it's fine. First make sure it clamps to your receiver properly. Next zero it, be sure to bring the manual because the markings are not in English.  I'm still trying to find a decent (read cheap) source for batteries.  I accidentally turned the unit on while casing the rifle and killed it.  I have reservations about it's toughness (plastic switches) and weatherproofing.  
I think the kobra offers more value than it does quality.  I bought a commie sight for my commie gun. It mounted without spending any extra cash and it works good enough for me. I'm not that serious about my AK.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you will use the search function and you will find 9 threads on the Kobra sight.  Its a very basic dot sight at a very basic price.
View Quote

I think it's a little more than that.  The unit I have (maybe it's not the same) can change it's reticle pattern on the fly, to various patterns.  My .02?  I like it, as an AK-47 accessory, but why oh why is one of the controls almost in the way of the sight plane?  Field of view is partially, though minimally, obscured.  I realize it is there due to axis of adjustment, but couldn't they have trimmed it up a bit or put the glass a little higher to compensate?
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Chevron wont line up with the dot so its not true quick change and the 3 bars is so nonprecise its ridiculous.  Its not water proof and my power switch broke from a 2 foot drop onto grass.  Poor ergonomics and average hardware and enginering.  Its very basic nothing more.  BTW anyone wanna buy a SAR2 with Kobra? lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Chevron wont line up with the dot so its not true quick change and the 3 bars is so nonprecise its ridiculous.  Its not water proof and my power switch broke from a 2 foot drop onto grass.  Poor ergonomics and average hardware and enginering.  Its very basic nothing more.  BTW anyone wanna buy a SAR2 with Kobra? lol
View Quote

DevL,  I agree.  I haven't actually used it yet, so I didn't know about patters not lining up.  Actually, all I meant is the you can have other patterns by flipping a switch, zeroing is the shooters problem.  I think it's not much more than a toy, really, but I only got it for looks and giggles.   Besides, precision fire is not what comes out of my crappy SAR-1.  I recommend it only if you want a (new) classic accessory for looks.  If you are serious, get something else, there are plenty of choices out there.  I can't even imagine mounting it on something else, except maybe a .22lr or similar.  [puke]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top