BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 9:01:08 AM EDT
Any of you guys running this setup? If so how do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I am, wanted a good cross between longer barrel for a bit of extra range, while still being compact enough to use to defend my house if needs be. I love it. It fills the role perfectly
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I got extra parts laying around, that was sorta what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I run one as well and no issues here. My rifle has been used to teach my kids to shoot for the first time so, having an adjustable stock benefited me the most. The rifle is extremely soft shooting and I also run it suppressed so they wouldn't be intimidated their first time out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#4]
They work well in semi. In auto they can be sensitive to variables.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
that's my setup.  I have a Noveske 18" SPR barrel and a Noveske 4-picatinny-rail handguard, so it's a bit front-heavy.  I plan on replacing the handguards with a Midwest Industries M-Lok lightweight handguard to reduce the weight.

it still balances well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the link to pics.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
18" .223 and 24" 6.5G with basic M4 stocks, both long range "precision" rifles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a setup in this configuration. I am running a LaRue Tactical 18" Stealth barrel (mid-length gas) with a BCM A5 Intermediate Buffer System and LANTAC E-BCG. It is extremely smooth and dependable.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that's my setup.  I have a Noveske 18" SPR barrel and a Noveske 4-picatinny-rail handguard, so it's a bit front-heavy.  I plan on replacing the handguards with a Midwest Industries M-Lok lightweight handguard to reduce the weight.

it still balances well.
View Quote
That is my experience with a DD 18" S2W barrel, a tad front heavy.  Heavyish barrel profiles...

I bought a Magpul Pic QD adapter to move the sling further forward to see if I like how that balances.

As far having or using a collapsing stock, I don't have a reason to collapse it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The Army uses 20" bbls w/ collapsible stocks now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
H6 buffer which IIRC is six individual weights totalling the same nominal weight as an H3 buffer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is my experience with a DD 18" S2W barrel, a tad front heavy.  Heavyish barrel profiles...

I bought a Magpul Pic QD adapter to move the sling further forward to see if I like how that balances.

As far having or using a collapsing stock, I don't have a reason to collapse it anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it still balances well.

I figure if folks want an 18" barrel, they probably want it for longer-distance accuracy from the increased velocity, and a heavier profile stiffens the barrel to prevent it from opening up the shot groups when the barrel heats up.  So the heavier weight is part of the bargain.

I shot my BCM upper with 16" extra-lightweight barrel last weekend.  I got great slow-fire groups at 50 yards, like 10 rounds into a nickel, to zero my RDS, but at 100 yards that opened up to a 5" group once the barrel got warm.  

For my next build, I want an 18" Larue Stealth barrel
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Buddy has a 18 in larue stealth barrel on his rifle. It's a tack driver.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buddy has a 18 in larue stealth barrel on his rifle. It's a tack driver.
View Quote
They are at that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]
18" rifle gas is my favorite setup.  

LaRue is midlength, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I run one on my 18" SPR. I love it. It helps to be able to adjust sometimes from awkward shooting positions or layered clothing etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Do it
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Putting together an 18" Larue Stealth barrel with a Gen II UBR. Figure the barrel and stock should balance themselves out somewhat. Really not concerned about the weight as this will mostly be shot off a bench.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#20]
So playing with camo tape, and the Magpul Pic QD adapter this is about where I found a sling balanced in both vertical and horizontal carry on a heavyish 18' barrel With the DD stock fully extended.  Well forward of the receiver, Slim Rail 15.0 point.  Gas is rifle length.  My plinker is getting there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]
top one

I built it for 3-gun matches, and also use it for coyote hunting

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I got 3 of them running. Great setup.

1/8 middy LW barrel from Spikes on a Spikes FL limited run lower.

1/8 middy BHW barrel on a Spikes lower.

1/7 rilfe Ballastic Advantage SPR barrel on a Spikes Crusader lower.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone make an 18" bbl w/ the gas system @ the standard bayonet hilt length?  (ie, carbine on 14.5" bbl, rifle gas on 20" bbl)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#24]
KAC or VLTOR intermediate might do it but no one makes them with FSB.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does anyone make an 18" bbl w/ the gas system @ the standard bayonet hilt length?  (ie, carbine on 14.5" bbl, rifle gas on 20" bbl)
View Quote
Why would anyone make such a configuration? It makes no sense whatsoever. I cannot understand some people's fascination with bayonets and odd ball, non-military barrel assembly configurations and attaching bayonets to them.

To point out the obvious, a mid-length gas system with a FSB w/bayonet lug will work with a 16" barrel. A carbine-length gas system with a FSB w/ bayonet lug will work with a 14.5" barrel, and a rifle-length gas system with a FSB w/bayonet lug will work with a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#26]
This is one configuration I don't have, but would like to. I've got a couple spare 20" barrels laying around. Might chop one down to 18" and throw a SOPMOD on an A5 tube with a green spring. Bet it would shoot nice and soft.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why would anyone make such a configuration? It makes no sense whatsoever. I cannot understand some people's fascination with bayonets and odd ball, non-military barrel assembly configurations and attaching bayonets to them.

To point out the obvious, a mid-length gas system with a FSB w/bayonet lug will work with a 16" barrel. A carbine-length gas system with a FSB w/ bayonet lug will work with a 14.5" barrel, and a rifle-length gas system with a FSB w/bayonet lug will work with a 20" barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Does anyone make an 18" bbl w/ the gas system @ the standard bayonet hilt length?  (ie, carbine on 14.5" bbl, rifle gas on 20" bbl)

I moot the idea not b/c of my love of bayonets, but b/c seemingly the AR gas system works relatively well w/ a bayonet's hilt length's dwell time, 14.5" carbine gas, 16" mid-gas, and 20" rifle gas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Dwell time isn't measured in distance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I moot the idea not b/c of my love of bayonets, but b/c seemingly the AR gas system works relatively well w/ a bayonet's hilt length's dwell time, 14.5" carbine gas, 16" mid-gas, and 20" rifle gas.
View Quote
Where did you get this idea?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
You hear it lots here. From people who think dwell time is measured in inches.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I moot the idea not b/c of my love of bayonets, but b/c seemingly the AR gas system works relatively well w/ a bayonet's hilt length's dwell time, 14.5" carbine gas, 16" mid-gas, and 20" rifle gas.
Uh - from the location of the gas block on the M-16, M-4, & 16" mid-gas.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You hear it lots here. From people who think dwell time is measured in inches.
View Quote
I guess they do not realize that dwell time can be affected by a few different factors. The bayonet hilt length not being one of them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#33]
You got this company

This may help with your bayonets fetish.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You got this company

View Quote
Bayonets.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  You got this company

View Quote
I've been needing one of those.  

I'm well aware that there are several factors that go into the dwell time of the AR bolt.  One of them is gas port location - and for some reason, the AR seems to work reasonably well when the gas port is a bayonet's hilt from the muzzle.  To the extent that when it was realized that 16" carbine gas bbls were overgassed the universal commercial decision was to move the gas port from the 14.5" carbine gas location to - one bayonet hilt's distance from the muzzle.  So is there a particular reason this hasn't been tried in the 18" bbl?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm planning out an 18" grendel with a UBR gen 2 stock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I think it's a good setup myself.

Mega upper/lower, Rainier Arms Ultramatch 18" (rifle gas), UBR.

With an adjustable gas block (SLR) recoil is practically nil.  Extremely easy to shoot.  It's the rifle I put new shooters on...they make easy hits on our gongs at 300 yds and they're hooked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Putting together an 18" Larue Stealth barrel with a Gen II UBR. Figure the barrel and stock should balance themselves out somewhat. Really not concerned about the weight as this will mostly be shot off a bench.
View Quote
I have that setup, but with a Gen 1 UBR. It's a nice bench setup, almost zero recoil. Then again, it weighs 11.2# unloaded.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#40]
My GTR is a 20" with a collapsible. My inspiration came from the Canadian C7A2. Honestly I love it. 18" isn't much different. I think you'll find the configuration ultra useful and very adaptable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't want to free float it. I am going to just use the parts I have to build a standard upper. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't want to free float it. I am going to just use the parts I have to build a standard upper. What do you guys think?
View Quote
that will deny you the rifle's full accuracy potential.  Installing a free-floated front handguard is no more difficult than installing a barrel nut and delta ring for M4, midlength, or A2 handguards, and with non-freefloated you still have to install a front handguard ring with your gas block.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a setup in this configuration. I am running a LaRue Tactical 18" Stealth barrel (mid-length gas) with a BCM A5 Intermediate Buffer System and LANTAC E-BCG. It is extremely smooth and dependable.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/001-286154.JPG
View Quote
What grip is that?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#44]
This set-up works great.

My slightly over-gassed 18" rifle eats anything and everything. I use an H2 buffer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What grip is that?
View Quote
Executive Ordnance "Molon Labe" Pistol Grip w/ Stealth G-10 Panels
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Canada went to this setup over a decade ago (2004) with the C7A2.  We use an H2 buffer and it works great.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm well aware that there are several factors that go into the dwell time of the AR bolt.  One of them is gas port location - and for some reason, the AR seems to work reasonably well when the gas port is a bayonet's hilt from the muzzle.  To the extent that when it was realized that 16" carbine gas bbls were overgassed the universal commercial decision was to move the gas port from the 14.5" carbine gas location to - one bayonet hilt's distance from the muzzle.  So is there a particular reason this hasn't been tried in the 18" bbl?
View Quote
I've seen a few "intermediate gas systems on 18" barrels, although bot very often. It's  supposed to be somewhere between rifle and mid. Maybe that's what you are looking for?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've seen a few "intermediate gas systems on 18" barrels, although bot very often. It's  supposed to be somewhere between rifle and mid. Maybe that's what you are looking for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noveske uses it on their 18" barrels.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I just set up a 18" barrel with rifle-length gas system on a collapsible carbine-length stock.  Got the standard buffer in there for now, will run it on Sunday and see how it does.  Even with the stock collapsed, it's not too front-heavy.  Lightweight hand guard helps for sure.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  I've seen a few "intermediate gas systems on 18" barrels, although bot very often. It's  supposed to be somewhere between rifle and mid. Maybe that's what you are looking for?
View Quote
I was just curious.  I don't have a particular need for an 18" bbl.  Looking for an AR57 upper and eventually a left-handed upper & .22" LR adapter for my boy, @ the moment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top