Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2003 4:09:46 AM EDT
Was shooting at the range yesterday, when suddenly my semi Bushmaster XM15-E2S decided to go full auto. I immediatly let go of the trigger and cleared the weapon.
After much consern I inspected the rifle back home, and didn't find wery much that would cause the rifle to go FA.
Then I discovered the spring between the disconnector and trigger had broken, and collapsed to half it's size.
The rifle is only a couple of years old and have only been fired a couple of thousand rounds, so I can't see any exessive trigger or hammer wear. Could the breakage of the little spring be the reason for my Bushmaster going full auto?

-jerv
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
How about that. Another way for a rifle to be made FA. I never thought of that.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Lucky for you there were no LEOs around.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]
No joke, what would a person be charge with if that happened?? Could you prove it broke and had not been tampered with?? I sure wouldn't won't to find out personally but just curious. Has there ever been anyone charged with having a FA weapon and they proved it was not their fault and charges dropped?? I'll bet that would be a night-mare in the making.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
That happened to me once after I put a Jewell Trigger in my Bushmaster. I (apparently) had the sear engagement WAY too tight. Scared the crap out of me because I wasn't it. Emptied a full mag in no time.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
He never said anything about testing. He said the rifle had a couple thousand rounds through it, and he went shooting.

Your rifle should have had a notched hammer and exposed firing pin shroud which prevents this from happening if the spring/disconnector failed. Either this rifle is not a factory build and someone built it using improper parts or you hit the very magic spring tension that would hold the hammer untill the shock of the bolt carrier closing would shock the hammer off the disconnector.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Try posting a picture on some milk cartons.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys, I'm a newbie, but have a quick question.  Please forgive my complete ignorance of the mechanics of the AR trigger system, but doesn't the condition described above constitute a "slam fire"?  If so, then that's an enormously dangerous situation, for both operator and bystanders, no?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
doesn't the condition described above constitute a "slam fire"?  
View Quote

No.

A slam fire is caused by a stuck or protruding firing pin that detonates the primmer as the bolt "slams" forward.  Kind of hard to happen with an AR-15 as the bolt always comes forward, out of the carrier and if the firing pin were stuck this action would loosen it.  It's not impossible but highly unlikely that it would "run away" through a whole magazine.

Edited to add that the stoppage when he released the trigger indicates a fire control malfunction.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Either this rifle is not a factory build and someone built it using improper parts or you hit the very magic spring tension that would hold the hammer untill the shock of the bolt carrier closing would shock the hammer off the disconnector.
View Quote

The rifle is an XM15-E2S LEO 14.5" carbine right from the Bushmaster factory with no modifications.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Leave it alone, keep it the way it is! I swear I didn't know officer!  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Your rifle should have had a notched hammer and exposed firing pin shroud which prevents this from happening if the spring/disconnector failed.
View Quote
Not necessarily. 2 of the 3 BMs I've owned had the BC with the shroud over the firing pin.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I've been having the same (sorta) problems with my factory assembled Olympic lower and DPMS upper.  What is the quickest way to remedy that problem?  Just change out the spring and disconnector, or get new fire control parts kit?  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
What are you bitchin about.I'd put that weapon to the side as my designated SHTF weapon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I would strongly advice against firing a weapon with the problem I experienced. The hammer will release even though carrier/bolt is not into battery, and it may cause the round to go off before it enters the chamber.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top