Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2011 9:35:36 AM EDT
So is anyone having any luck running it through their Ruger SR 556?  I haven't even tried it yet.  Should I even waste my time?  
My supply of brass is off to a pretty good start.  I'm just looking at the cheaper ammo for casual practice...

I'm Looking into
Brown Bear
Silver bear
stuff like that...
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine shoots anything without issues.

Buy a box or two and try.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine shoots anything without issues.

Buy a box or two and try.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Edited because I'm clearly lack reading comprehension.

Link Posted: 4/21/2011 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SIG did clarify that shooting steel case ammo out of the 556 and 556R does not void the warranty.  That was a nasty rumor that started from a few Sig USA people speaking before consulting engineering.

I believe they "advise against it", but it will not void your warranty.

Now, entering the real world:  There are numserous reports of 556s out there putting thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo downrange without a single issue.

I think you missed the Ruger part of this thread.

Mine shoots steel cased ammo fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SIG did clarify that shooting steel case ammo out of the 556 and 556R does not void the warranty.  That was a nasty rumor that started from a few Sig USA people speaking before consulting engineering.

I believe they "advise against it", but it will not void your warranty.

Now, entering the real world:  There are numserous reports of 556s out there putting thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo downrange without a single issue.

I think you missed the Ruger part of this thread.

Mine shoots steel cased ammo fine.

*smacks forehead*

Oh my god I'm an idiot....I saw "sr 556" and somehow translated that to "sig 556" in my brain.

Jesus....Ok, sorry, disregard what I posted.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#6]
My Ruger functions fine with Wolf and Golden Tiger steel case ammo.  I use gas setting "2".  Gas setting "1" gives an occasional failure to lock back the bolt when the mag is empty with both brass and steel case ammo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had issues with Wolf.  Got stuck!  Only put a few rounds through and I was done.  Would not eject from the Chamber.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive never tried it but after a call to ruger they said there are no issues and it wont effect warrarty either. shoot away.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#9]
mine really loved wolf 75gr bthp.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Folks!  Just ordered 500 rds of Silver Bear...  We will see how it works OR if I need one of you to buy the rest from me ;)
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've had issues with Wolf.  Got stuck!  Only put a few rounds through and I was done.  Would not eject from the Chamber.  

Same here, wolf, golden tiger, silver bear. It sure likes the brass though

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#12]
My SR556C has been reliable with Hornady steel cased training ammo and heavier stuff like WOLF 75gr but it doesn't seem to care for the lighter stuff like Silver Bear 62gr. Is this due to variances in case materials? Maybe pressure curve with different powders and lighter bullets? Dwell time of the rifle's action? A chamber that could use a little polishing?  Maybe a combination of all these.

As others have suggested; get a box or two to try before buying in quantity. Just make sure you take a cleaning rod to the range with you in case you do stick a case.

PS-not a bash on Ruger by any means, as I've seen stuck cases in non-piston guns, too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top