Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/3/2006 8:07:14 AM EDT
Has anyone tried to make this work? I've got an M261 kit and am considering grinding a bit of plastic on the 10/22 mags to see if I can adapt them to the wider Cavalry arms Mk2 lower.

It's probably not going to work but I'm the tinkering type and cant resist trying. I'm just wondering if the M261 platform is the right one to start with or should I consider a different conversion unit in the first place?

For those unfamiliar the Mk2 is barely narrower at the magwell than the butler creek 10/22 mags. It looks like I could remove a little plastic from the sides of the mag and get it to fit the lower.
I have some delrin like material I could make an AR15 mag body type block and epoxy it to the 10/22 magazine.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:28:47 AM EDT
It wouldn't work......the 10/22 feeds from the side.

I was looking at my M261 upper and thinking about designing a hi cap mag for it.....but if you are looking to tinker.....I would start out by looking at AR7 mags sandwiched between a couple pieces of delrin.

That's where I would start.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:57:15 PM EDT
You know you could sell a bunch if you made some working mags. I know Tactical Innovations has a machined billet magazine for the 10/22 that sells for $69ish IIRC???

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:26:56 AM EDT
I don't think ruger mags will work at all, because of the way the bolt feeds the cartridge and the width of the mag. The billit aluminum "might be able to be machined to the correct width but the feed mechanism would have to be totally fabbed. AR7 mags would angle back toward the rear of the rifle so if they were used in the AR15, they would either angle back toward the trigger or if positioned perpendicular to the mag well the feed angle would be severe. Not viable in my opinion.

Ciener hi-caps are the way to go. I wish they had the mag available without the AR15 mag well adapter on them. That would open up some possibilities. (See the FEC XC-220 on "rockin rimfires").

I've always wanted to try moddin an MP5 mag. Not a real one but a steel airsoft mag. My son had one and that thing fit exactly into the ar15 mag well and even worked with mag release.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:16:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
You know you could sell a bunch if you made some working mags. I know Tactical Innovations has a machined billet magazine for the 10/22 that sells for $69ish IIRC???

Hey now! How did this turn from a YOU thing to a ME thing?

It'll be a long while before I get into a makin a 22 conversion......if ever. Projects are expensive and time consuming investment.......so whittle away!

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:20:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dehammer:

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:

Hey now! How did this turn from a YOU thing to a ME thing?

It'll be a long while before I get into a makin a 22 conversion......if ever. Projects are expensive and time consuming investment.......so whittle away!

Somehow I knew you'd say that.

I'll find a mag I can tinker with till it works. At least you saved me the 15 bux for the ruger mag.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:30:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dehammer:
It wouldn't work......the 10/22 feeds from the side.

The 10/22 mag feeds from directly below the center of bolt, just like any other mag. Or did you mean that the rotory nature of the magazine make the rounds come to the top from the side?

The factory mags probably can't be narrowed, and since they're shorter top-to-bottom than the mag well they wouldn't work that well. The hi-cap aftermarkets like Butler Creek or Ramline I'm pretty sure are single-stack. You might be able to take a little off the sides of them and get them to fit. I have no idea whether they'd end up in the right place to feed though.

Originally Posted By Rocketman223:
Ciener hi-caps are the way to go. I wish they had the mag available without the AR15 mag well adapter on them. That would open up some possibilities.

Check the recent CZ V22 threads on this forum. I think somebody posted a link to some mags like that at Numrich in one of them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:42 AM EDT
If you want to use 10/22 hi-caps in an AR-"like" platform, get a Rhineland R22! Same trigger group, any AR pistol grip fits, and I believe the ability to use any AR stock is coming, sooner or later.
Top Top